Backup QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Laserman
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7310
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida

Re: Backup QB?

Post by Laserman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:01 pm

How could anybody have and real serious faith in Bridgewater, I wouldn't even as a backup. As I feared we had to play him too early, he got no time to build his body and learn the QB job before being tossed into the fire.
0 x

User avatar
IIsweet
Transition Player
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Backup QB?

Post by IIsweet » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:47 am

CbusVikesFan wrote: For the life of me I cannot figure out how we as fans can come up with viable options and solutions in certain areas and we draft a wr that was not on too many radars when we could have upgraded positions that are of need again this year. Wtf? I think a collective of us fans could do a better job on draft day. I could turn this team into a perennial winner in 3 drafts or less. Book it. Especially with the time and tools these dorks have to work with.
I feel the same way. With so many resources, I have no idea why we miss so often ?
I get it though, for every drafted player, you have to make room on the roster and they are not better than what we have.
That's poor drafting and player development. Have to remember that Spielman was a small school guy and looks to find that diamond in the rough. He also likes to draft athletes and fills in with the bigs Later.
Maybe he's great at the other part of the job, but he's terrible on draft days.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18398
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Backup QB?

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Is Spielman the one who has that complicated numbers system that supposedly helps him draft better?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Backup QB?

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:15 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is Spielman the one who has that complicated numbers system that supposedly helps him draft better?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Analytics?? A number of teams use them
0 x
Image

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11287
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Backup QB?

Post by S197 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:15 pm

CbusVikesFan wrote: For the life of me I cannot figure out how we as fans can come up with viable options and solutions in certain areas and we draft a wr that was not on too many radars when we could have upgraded positions that are of need again this year. Wtf? I think a collective of us fans could do a better job on draft day. I could turn this team into a perennial winner in 3 drafts or less. Book it. Especially with the time and tools these dorks have to work with.
Who are you referring to, MoBo?
0 x

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1767
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: Backup QB?

Post by halfgiz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:38 pm

IIsweet wrote: I feel the same way. With so many resources, I have no idea why we miss so often ?
I get it though, for every drafted player, you have to make room on the roster and they are not better than what we have.
That's poor drafting and player development. Have to remember that Spielman was a small school guy and looks to find that diamond in the rough. He also likes to draft athletes and fills in with the bigs Later.
Maybe he's great at the other part of the job, but he's terrible on draft days.
What players have we developed on the offensive side of the ball lately? I'm hoping the new coaches can start making progress with that.
0 x

User avatar
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Backup QB?

Post by CbusVikesFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:42 am

S197 wrote: Who are you referring to, MoBo?
No, referring to Patterson, Treadwell, and Bridgewater. All 1st round picks and disappointing to me. I would have went a thousand different ways. Most recently Treadwell and Bridgewater. Could have done better in later rounds and drafted players at other positions in need. How many drafts did it take to finally draft a damn LB?
0 x
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6624
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Re: Backup QB?

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 am

Maybe it is just me, but the backup QB position is a major concern for this team. We have to act like Teddy Bridgewater will not play this season. I like Taylor Henicke, but it would be foolish just to count on him.

Bradford stayed healthy last season, but there is no way we can assume Bradford will stay healthy all this season. I am not trying to be ominous, I am being realistic. We need to figure out the backup QB position. It sounds like the team is leaning toward drafting a rookie. But, we have seen this story play out before.
0 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

User avatar
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Backup QB?

Post by CbusVikesFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:49 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Analytics?? A number of teams use them
I wonder if Belichek uses analytics. Idk, all fhat time crunching numbers to evaluate? How about using some good old fashioned legwork.
0 x
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Backup QB?

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:14 am

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Maybe it is just me, but the backup QB position is a major concern for this team. We have to act like Teddy Bridgewater will not play this season. I like Taylor Henicke, but it would be foolish just to count on him.

Bradford stayed healthy last season, but there is no way we can assume Bradford will stay healthy all this season. I am not trying to be ominous, I am being realistic. We need to figure out the backup QB position. It sounds like the team is leaning toward drafting a rookie. But, we have seen this story play out before.
By the looks of it, I think they plan on drafting one
0 x
Image

User avatar
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Backup QB?

Post by CbusVikesFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Maybe it is just me, but the backup QB position is a major concern for this team. We have to act like Teddy Bridgewater will not play this season. I like Taylor Henicke, but it would be foolish just to count on him.

Bradford stayed healthy last season, but there is no way we can assume Bradford will stay healthy all this season. I am not trying to be ominous, I am being realistic. We need to figure out the backup QB position. It sounds like the team is leaning toward drafting a rookie. But, we have seen this story play out before.
We've had such horrible luck at drafting qb's I'm hoping that finally gets turned around. Just like LB'S, it's been a sore spot with me for years.
0 x
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: New Hope, MN
Contact:

Re: Backup QB?

Post by akvikingsfan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:18 pm

I know it doesn't mean much, but Teddy is throwing. Still has a long way to go before he can return (if he ever can), but at least this shows progress of some kind.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11287
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Backup QB?

Post by S197 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm

CbusVikesFan wrote:No, referring to Patterson, Treadwell, and Bridgewater. All 1st round picks and disappointing to me. I would have went a thousand different ways. Most recently Treadwell and Bridgewater. Could have done better in later rounds and drafted players at other positions in need. How many drafts did it take to finally draft a damn LB?
I see. The "draft a wr that was not on too many radars" threw me. Patterson and Treadwell were by almost all accounts, projected 1st rounders. I wasn't thrilled with Treadwell pick, I wonder if Fuller would have been the pick had he not gone right before.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Backup QB?

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 pm

CbusVikesFan wrote: We've had such horrible luck at drafting qb's I'm hoping that finally gets turned around. Just like LB'S, it's been a sore spot with me for years.
We struggled with LBs at first but since Zim has been here we've gotten Barr and Kendricks. And I believe Kendricks is one of the most underrated LBs in the game.
0 x
Image

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18398
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Backup QB?

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:01 am

Kendrick will be a star. I think Barr will be as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

Post Reply