Backup QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Backup QB?

Post by Laserman »

How could anybody have and real serious faith in Bridgewater, I wouldn't even as a backup. As I feared we had to play him too early, he got no time to build his body and learn the QB job before being tossed into the fire.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

CbusVikesFan wrote: For the life of me I cannot figure out how we as fans can come up with viable options and solutions in certain areas and we draft a wr that was not on too many radars when we could have upgraded positions that are of need again this year. Wtf? I think a collective of us fans could do a better job on draft day. I could turn this team into a perennial winner in 3 drafts or less. Book it. Especially with the time and tools these dorks have to work with.
I feel the same way. With so many resources, I have no idea why we miss so often ?
I get it though, for every drafted player, you have to make room on the roster and they are not better than what we have.
That's poor drafting and player development. Have to remember that Spielman was a small school guy and looks to find that diamond in the rough. He also likes to draft athletes and fills in with the bigs Later.
Maybe he's great at the other part of the job, but he's terrible on draft days.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Is Spielman the one who has that complicated numbers system that supposedly helps him draft better?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is Spielman the one who has that complicated numbers system that supposedly helps him draft better?

Analytics?? A number of teams use them
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

CbusVikesFan wrote: For the life of me I cannot figure out how we as fans can come up with viable options and solutions in certain areas and we draft a wr that was not on too many radars when we could have upgraded positions that are of need again this year. Wtf? I think a collective of us fans could do a better job on draft day. I could turn this team into a perennial winner in 3 drafts or less. Book it. Especially with the time and tools these dorks have to work with.
Who are you referring to, MoBo?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

IIsweet wrote: I feel the same way. With so many resources, I have no idea why we miss so often ?
I get it though, for every drafted player, you have to make room on the roster and they are not better than what we have.
That's poor drafting and player development. Have to remember that Spielman was a small school guy and looks to find that diamond in the rough. He also likes to draft athletes and fills in with the bigs Later.
Maybe he's great at the other part of the job, but he's terrible on draft days.
What players have we developed on the offensive side of the ball lately? I'm hoping the new coaches can start making progress with that.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

S197 wrote: Who are you referring to, MoBo?
No, referring to Patterson, Treadwell, and Bridgewater. All 1st round picks and disappointing to me. I would have went a thousand different ways. Most recently Treadwell and Bridgewater. Could have done better in later rounds and drafted players at other positions in need. How many drafts did it take to finally draft a damn LB?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Maybe it is just me, but the backup QB position is a major concern for this team. We have to act like Teddy Bridgewater will not play this season. I like Taylor Henicke, but it would be foolish just to count on him.

Bradford stayed healthy last season, but there is no way we can assume Bradford will stay healthy all this season. I am not trying to be ominous, I am being realistic. We need to figure out the backup QB position. It sounds like the team is leaning toward drafting a rookie. But, we have seen this story play out before.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Analytics?? A number of teams use them
I wonder if Belichek uses analytics. Idk, all fhat time crunching numbers to evaluate? How about using some good old fashioned legwork.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Maybe it is just me, but the backup QB position is a major concern for this team. We have to act like Teddy Bridgewater will not play this season. I like Taylor Henicke, but it would be foolish just to count on him.

Bradford stayed healthy last season, but there is no way we can assume Bradford will stay healthy all this season. I am not trying to be ominous, I am being realistic. We need to figure out the backup QB position. It sounds like the team is leaning toward drafting a rookie. But, we have seen this story play out before.
By the looks of it, I think they plan on drafting one
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Maybe it is just me, but the backup QB position is a major concern for this team. We have to act like Teddy Bridgewater will not play this season. I like Taylor Henicke, but it would be foolish just to count on him.

We've had such horrible luck at drafting qb's I'm hoping that finally gets turned around. Just like LB'S, it's been a sore spot with me for years.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I know it doesn't mean much, but Teddy is throwing. Still has a long way to go before he can return (if he ever can), but at least this shows progress of some kind.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

CbusVikesFan wrote:No, referring to Patterson, Treadwell, and Bridgewater. All 1st round picks and disappointing to me. I would have went a thousand different ways. Most recently Treadwell and Bridgewater. Could have done better in later rounds and drafted players at other positions in need. How many drafts did it take to finally draft a damn LB?
I see. The "draft a wr that was not on too many radars" threw me. Patterson and Treadwell were by almost all accounts, projected 1st rounders. I wasn't thrilled with Treadwell pick, I wonder if Fuller would have been the pick had he not gone right before.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CbusVikesFan wrote: We've had such horrible luck at drafting qb's I'm hoping that finally gets turned around. Just like LB'S, it's been a sore spot with me for years.
We struggled with LBs at first but since Zim has been here we've gotten Barr and Kendricks. And I believe Kendricks is one of the most underrated LBs in the game.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Kendrick will be a star. I think Barr will be as well.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018