2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by mansquatch »

Recent history suggests that rookie college OL will most likely not crack the starting line up in their first season. That doesn't means we shouldn't draft them, but I wouldn't expect contributions in 2017 beyond back up snaps.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

jackal wrote:
I don't think any quality LT makes it out of the first round either.. too many teams need them in the NFL

I would either go OG or DT most likely if a guy like lamb didn't drop. the other thing to remember is we have

two third round picks and two fourth round picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see us jump back into the first

round or early second if Spielman and comapny want someone bad enough.
Yeah I've thought about that too. I can see a trade up happening.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:Recent history suggests that rookie college OL will most likely not crack the starting line up in their first season. That doesn't means we shouldn't draft them, but I wouldn't expect contributions in 2017 beyond back up snaps.
I think a guy like Dan Feeney can definitely start day 1 at RG. Didn't give up a sack in two years and was an all American.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Why does the draft seem to still be sooooo far away ?
To me, OG Dan Feeney would be a great pick in rd 2. I would also like a disruptive DT, but they are going early and often.
Pocic and Eflein are 2 intriguing players as they project as C/G
Orlosky is a fairly high rated C also.
To me, the OT class is deep but not spectacular. However, a lot can be said for quality backups.
Clemmings is still a project where these guys are good but not a lot of great OT.
I am curious as to what the Vikings plans are for Sirles, Shepard, Hill, and Beavers.
To me Sirles and Hill could be serviceable backup T. Beavers and Shepard as backup G.
All are young and could provide good depth and maybe develop ??

Question... Would you trade into rd 1 for a Christian McCaffrey ? Wait for Mixon? Or take a good but not spectacular RB in our draft slots???
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

IIsweet wrote:Why does the draft seem to still be sooooo far away ?
To me, OG Dan Feeney would be a great pick in rd 2. I would also like a disruptive DT, but they are going early and often.
Pocic and Eflein are 2 intriguing players as they project as C/G
Orlosky is a fairly high rated C also.
To me, the OT class is deep but not spectacular. However, a lot can be said for quality backups.
Clemmings is still a project where these guys are good but not a lot of great OT.
I am curious as to what the Vikings plans are for Sirles, Shepard, Hill, and Beavers.
To me Sirles and Hill could be serviceable backup T. Beavers and Shepard as backup G.
All are young and could provide good depth and maybe develop ??

Question... Would you trade into rd 1 for a Christian McCaffrey ? Wait for Mixon? Or take a good but not spectacular RB in our draft slots???
Definitely not McCaffery. All I see there is another Danny Woodhead. Not a workhorse. I want a workhorse.
-Chazz Palminteri
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

PurpleMustReign wrote:PHP would you rather have Perine or Mixon? My biggest concern with Perine is he has missed a couple of games with injury but I like him better than Mixon because of his size.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mixon 6'1" 226 4.4
Perine 5'11" 233 4.6

Ask any OU fan (me), and they would take Mixon over Perine all day long. There's no comparison in receiving ability. And Mixon is huge for speed and running prowess. Love Samaje, but he has had chronic ankle issues throughout his college career. Mixon has always been dependable. It's a shame he shared time with Samaje, because he would have had knockout stats otherwise. Regardless, he has NFL first round ability as far as production is concerned.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

5thWave wrote: Mixon 6'1" 226 4.4
Perine 5'11" 233 4.6

Ask any OU fan (me), and they would take Mixon over Perine all day long. There's no comparison in receiving ability. And Mixon is huge for speed and running prowess. Love Samaje, but he has had chronic ankle issues throughout his college career. Mixon has always been dependable. It's a shame he shared time with Samaje, because he would have had knockout stats otherwise. Regardless, he has NFL first round ability as far as production is concerned.
Yeah like I said above, I would take Mixon from a football player/game breaker standpoint. But I would take Perine from a character/grinder/trustworthy standpoint.

If Mixon didnt have his past issues and was a similar kid to Perine, I would take Mixon all day long. Something about Perine though that I just cant get past. I just love the guy. Reminds me of a MJD or Michael Turner. Just a guy that would beat the crap out of opposing defenses all day
-Chazz Palminteri
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

The current CBS Mock draft only has three Offensive Linemen going in the first round for what its worth.
Forrest Lamp
Cam Robinson
Ryan Ramczyk
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:This may have been covered and I missed it but what sites do you all use?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
There's a thread in the Draft section.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Definitely not McCaffery. All I see there is another Danny Woodhead. Not a workhorse. I want a workhorse.
Disagree emphatically. McCaffery is the most dynamic offensive player in this draft. McCaffery will be much better than Woodhead. He can shoulder a majority of the load. He runs amazing routes. He is a force in the return game as well.

I wish we were in a position to be able to draft McCaffery.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

5thWave wrote: Mixon 6'1" 226 4.4
Perine 5'11" 233 4.6

I'm a big OU fan too, but I didn't get to see many games this past season so I didn't know as much about Mixon as I did about Perine. They are both good at catching the ball too, right?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Disagree emphatically. McCaffery is the most dynamic offensive player in this draft. McCaffery will be much better than Woodhead. He can shoulder a majority of the load. He runs amazing routes. He is a force in the return game as well.

I wish we were in a position to be able to draft McCaffery.
Yeah I mean I could be wrong. Would I be upset if we drafted McCaffery? No. But I'm also at that "I'll believe it when I see it in the NFL" point with him. I think Mixon is the most dynamic of anyone and has the size to go along with it. But McCaffery would be 2nd
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: I'm a big OU fan too, but I didn't get to see many games this past season so I didn't know as much about Mixon as I did about Perine. They are both good at catching the ball too, right?
Perine didnt catch many balls at OU. But from what I've seen, he definitely has decent hands. It's just they didnt use him much in that aspect. Mixon's hands were that of an NFL WRs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1PkiOroeZE

There is a video of Mixon. Watch the whole thing if you have the time. His hands are some of the best I've ever seen in a RB. No less his explosiveness is off the charts
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I also didnt realize that Mike Zimmer was the only NFL coach at OU pro day. Spielman and Polomalu (RB coach) was also there. Shows they think highly of both those RBs. Love seeing that because they are my two favorite backs in this draft. Along with Kareem Hunt who was recently invited to our top 30 event
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Is it weird that I'm really excited about having Polomalu's dad on the staff? Troy is easily my favorite non-viking player ever. I hope he will come speak to this team. He is a smart and serious man of faith.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins