2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Best case scenario for first 3 picks, IMO:

2nd round: Dan Feeney- OG Indiana (immediate starter at RG)
3rd round: Joe Mixon or Semaje Perine- RB Oklahoma (I hope they arent just relying on Murray)
3rd round: Somewhere on Defense. DT, OLB, NCB, S (Could use some depth/starters at those positions
I expect a TE and S to be taken in rounds 2/3. RB and G will wait until 3/4 I think. Then a bunch of defenders with better measurements than production in the later rounds.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: I expect a TE and S to be taken in rounds 2/3. RB and G will wait until 3/4 I think. Then a bunch of defenders with better measurements than production in the later rounds.
You lost me with that one :D Why would we take a TE and S when we already have Rudy and Sendejo there and pass on a RB and OG, two things we have very little of
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:PHP would you rather have Perine or Mixon? My biggest concern with Perine is he has missed a couple of games with injury but I like him better than Mixon because of his size.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
That's a tough one. I really like both. From a football player/playmaker standpoint....Mixon. From a tough/grinder/character standpoint....Perine. I would take either
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: You lost me with that one :D Why would we take a TE and S when we already have Rudy and Sendejo there and pass on a RB and OG, two things we have very little of
They can run 2 TE sets, and Sendedjo isn't that great and has no guaranteed money on his deal. Rudolph is also getting paid a lot and approaching the end of his contract.

There is a lot of depth at those two positions, as well as RB and G. I expect them to address all 4 of those positions...Could also use a DT, LB, and QB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@DWolfsonKSTP
2h
Told Toledo RB Kareem Hunt will be among those visiting the #Vikings. I will be surprised if some RB doesn't land here during the draft.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I expect a TE and S to be taken in rounds 2/3. RB and G will wait until 3/4 I think. Then a bunch of defenders with better measurements than production in the later rounds.[/quote]

You lost me with that one :D Why would we take a TE and S when we already have Rudy and Sendejo there and pass on a RB and OG, two things we have very little of[/quote]

They can run 2 TE sets, and Sendedjo isn't that great and has no guaranteed money on his deal. Rudolph is also getting paid a lot and approaching the end of his contract.

There is a lot of depth at those two positions, as well as RB and G. I expect them to address all 4 of those positions...Could also use a DT, LB, and QB.[/quote]

I was actually thinking the same way. If one of the 2 top TE's fall to us in round 2, we just might take them. In that case, maybe our first picks would look like this:
2-TE
3-OL
3-S/RB
4-RB/S
4-OL

On a side note, does Sherels return kickoffs at all? He is a threat every time he touches the ball when he returns punts...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

First of all, thanks to 720Pete for starting this thread. I feel myself much more focused on draft talk than FA at this point. Personally, I would love for them to get one of those top lineman with the 2nd round pick but I don't think they'll fall that far. I find myself intrigued by Mixon at that pick but I think his draft stock is rising so I'm not sure he'll be there either. I know what he did is terrible and there's not excuse for it. But I'm trusting that the Vikes are doing due diligence to ensure he's turned a corner. If he's not there i truly think you just go best offensive player available. Of course, as history has shown slick Rick will probably move up a few spots to grab a player they really want. Should be a fun draft!!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Best case scenario for first 3 picks, IMO:

2nd round: Dan Feeney- OG Indiana (immediate starter at RG)
3rd round: Joe Mixon or Semaje Perine- RB Oklahoma (I hope they arent just relying on Murray)
3rd round: Somewhere on Defense. DT, OLB, NCB, S (Could use some depth/starters at those positions
This is basically how I did my "draft game" picks with Feeny, Mixon, and Dalvin Tomlinson as my first 3 picks. I'd change that to Melifonwu in a heartbeat if he's there but I seriously doubt it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
There is a lot of depth at those two positions, as well as RB and G. I expect them to address all 4 of those positions...Could also use a DT, LB, and QB.
I gotcha. However the TE class is very deep this year too. And isn't as big of a need around the league compared to OL. I would probably be upset if we took a TE in the 2nd. We can get an athletic/pass catching TE later in the draft
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Round 2 Pick 16: Forrest Lamp, OG/OT, Western Kentucky (A)
Round 3 Pick 15: Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 22: Ryan Anderson, OLB/DE, Alabama (A-)
Round 4 Pick 15: Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 22: Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (A)
Round 5 Pick 16: Jonnu Smith, TE, Florida International (B)
Round 6 Pick 15: Jadar Johnson, SS, Clemson (B)
Round 7 Pick 14: Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse (A-)

this is what I picked with making no draft moves or trades in the draft game
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

This may have been covered and I missed it but what sites do you all use?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

The O line is in SUCH BAD SHAPE that if A TOM BRADY was available We would Still Need to draft O line with our first and 2nd pick. Any other move is pissing in the wind. Until these Office People LEARN that game is won in the trenches we will never get to a superbowl
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote:Round 2 Pick 16: Forrest Lamp, OG/OT, Western Kentucky (A)
Round 3 Pick 15: Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 22: Ryan Anderson, OLB/DE, Alabama (A-)
Round 4 Pick 15: Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 22: Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (A)
Round 5 Pick 16: Jonnu Smith, TE, Florida International (B)
Round 6 Pick 15: Jadar Johnson, SS, Clemson (B)
Round 7 Pick 14: Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse (A-)

this is what I picked with making no draft moves or trades in the draft game
I like it but no way "I love Lamp" makes it to the middle of round 2. I would sub that spot out for Dan Feeney
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:This may have been covered and I missed it but what sites do you all use?

first-pick.com
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I like it but no way "I love Lamp" makes it to the middle of round 2. I would sub that spot out for Dan Feeney

I don't think any quality LT makes it out of the first round either.. too many teams need them in the NFL

I would either go OG or DT most likely if a guy like lamb didn't drop. the other thing to remember is we have

two third round picks and two fourth round picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see us jump back into the first

round or early second if Spielman and comapny want someone bad enough.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!