2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

2017 draft thread

Post by 720pete »

I know free agency is still going on but I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on the upcoming draft now that the big free agency signings are done. Who should we be targeting? Should we try and trade up for a 1st round offensive lineman? What round, if any, should we target a RB or QB?
5thWave
Backup

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by 5thWave »

While I don't think we could ever do enough to improve the O line situation, this is such a RB rich draft that it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikes look in that direction early in the draft.
FrenchVikes
Waterboy

Post by FrenchVikes »

I hope that we will take the best linemen available in the 2nd round, because like you guys know this is a really good draft to get a RB, so we can wait the 3rd or 4rd round to get one ;)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

there appears to be some depth in the interior lineman and possibly the tackle spot, but almost every NFL team
needs a better OL .. so i think there will be a run, especially on tackles. I could see us taking a DT with the
first pick. I get the feeling they want to move on from Floyd sooner than later
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

The aim of free agency for me was to do enough to have a free run at the draft. I'd have liked an interior lineman too, but I think they've pretty much done that.

My first three picks would be rb, interior ol and qb in whatever order the chips fall. I could see a run on rb because the class is stacked, but also a run on qb or ol because it isn't and everyone wants them!

I'm a fan of Bradford but don't see him as a long-term superbowl winning qb...ideally he will prove me wrong but I don't see the downside with having a good young backup qb, look at the position the Patriots have found themselves in. In fact i'm pretty much from the school that you pick a QB in your first 5 picks each year you know you don't have a franchise one.

I'm also a fan of Murray, I think he was the right signing for free agency...but i'd like him to be covering the Asiata spot this season. I'm hoping the number 1 RB drops to us in the draft, ideally with our first pick.

On a side note I think Perine might be our guy at RB. It seemed odd to me the Vikings would show their hand so much with Zimmer photographed talking to Mixon/leaving with Mixon etc. Makes me think it's a classic sleight of hand trick and while Zimmer is talking to Mixon in plain view of the press Speilman and the RB coach (presumably the decision makers at RB) are all over Perine.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I like Carlos Henderson as a late pick. Can immediately take over kickoff duties and is the type of receiver who could do well in this type of offense given time.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558003
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

The aim of free agency for me was to do enough to have a free run at the draft.
The draft is long term, free agency is short term.
If the draft was before free agency I think people would think the aim of the draft was to do enough to have a free run at free agency.

You almost have to ignore the draft when looking at the roster. No one has any idea what the drafted players are going to do, short or long term. Or who is going to be available when. :confused:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:I like Carlos Henderson as a late pick. Can immediately take over kickoff duties and is the type of receiver who could do well in this type of offense given time.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558003
Did treadwell ever return kicks?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Treadwell is way to slow with heavy feet to return. I am thinking Wright might be a good idea. Or Hill. One of the defensive players. But NOT Diggs or Theilen.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Since we have 4 picks in rounds 3&4 some guys in that area:

Dede Weetbrook WR from OU is a good fit for Shurmur. Nice YAC receiver.

Safety from UConn Obi Melifonwu is another interesting prospect although his size and range is likely to push him up draft boards. A steal if he's around.

Nathan Peterman QB from Pitt. Not as flashy as the guys who will go ahead of him but played in a pro style offense and would be a solid contingency if Teddy's injury keeps him sidelined.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Did treadwell ever return kicks?

No KR or PR in college but I read he did everything in high school (KR, PK, S, QB, RB, WR).
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Treadwell is way to slow with heavy feet to return. I am thinking Wright might be a good idea. Or Hill. One of the defensive players. But NOT Diggs or Theilen.
MOBO!!!!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm all in on BPA! (Big shock.) I agree with the poster above who said they handled things in FA in such a way to have a free run at the draft and I think that is exactly how they should treat their picks this year. Would like to see the offense get some more love (just not at WR.) but if there is a defensive guy there, take him.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Best case scenario for first 3 picks, IMO:

2nd round: Dan Feeney- OG Indiana (immediate starter at RG)
3rd round: Joe Mixon or Semaje Perine- RB Oklahoma (I hope they arent just relying on Murray)
3rd round: Somewhere on Defense. DT, OLB, NCB, S (Could use some depth/starters at those positions
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PHP would you rather have Perine or Mixon? My biggest concern with Perine is he has missed a couple of games with injury but I like him better than Mixon because of his size.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018