2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Texas Vike wrote:
I'd depict it thus: his attempts have been lazy and negligent, like putting a Snoopy bandaid on a open wound that needs stitches.
I'd agree with that but also say all the lineman we drafted looked serviceable to good before injury struck, which I think has been our major problem over the years (aside from not getting the best linemen when they were available).
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think saying Spielman never tried to improve our offensive line is a bit of a misnomer. I think it's fairer to say the attempts at fixing the line haven't panned out.

agreed I think my biggest problem with Spielman is his ability to admit a mistake and move on from a player.

AKA Matt Kalil
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Rhodes Closed wrote: I'd agree with that but also say all the lineman we drafted looked serviceable to good before injury struck, which I think has been our major problem over the years (aside from not getting the best linemen when they were available).

That's fair. There has been some bad luck involved, but there is certainly some blame to assume on Spielman's part. The moves we've made in FA are an OK start, but we need to invest some draft picks into OL too.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Spielman has the type of mindset that does not work in the NFL.
Draft the freakish athlete and get the cheapest OL you can, late rd draft guys. Hope that they pan out.
Problem is that he misses waaaaay too often.
Maybe he's good at the business aspect f his job, but player personnel.... He SUX !!!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote: That's fair. There has been some bad luck involved, but there is certainly some blame to assume on Spielman's part. The moves we've made in FA are an OK start, but we need to invest some draft picks into OL too.
Agreed. The Vikings should have also grabbed some higher OL picks the last two drafts.

Build through the draft, supplement through free agency.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: I'd agree with that but also say all the lineman we drafted looked serviceable to good before injury struck, which I think has been our major problem over the years (aside from not getting the best linemen when they were available).
All?? I would say kalil looked good until the injury bug hit.

All of the other 4th- 7th rounders Rick has drafted have just been BAD.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

VikingPaul73 wrote: All?? I would say kalil looked good until the injury bug hit.

All of the other 4th- 7th rounders Rick has drafted have just been BAD.
Seriously: Jeff Baca, David Yankey, Willie Beavers (still to this day makes ZERO sense to me), Tyrus Thompson, Austin Shepherd, Fusco, DeMarcus Love, Travis Bond, T.J. Clemmings (does this need explanation?).

Let's not forget that abysmal draft in 2011 in totality. Only saving grace from that draft was Kyle Rudolph.

Spielman has been far from a great GM.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Seriously: Jeff Baca, David Yankey, Willie Beavers (still to this day makes ZERO sense to me), Tyrus Thompson, Austin Shepherd, Fusco, DeMarcus Love, Travis Bond, T.J. Clemmings (does this need explanation?).
No, it doesn't but I will give him credit for drafting John Sullivan in R6 of the 2008 draft. That pick worked out well for the Vikes.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: No, it doesn't but I will give him credit for drafting John Sullivan in R6 of the 2008 draft. That pick worked out well for the Vikes.
meh. I like Sullivan, but he has always been wildly overrated by Vikings fans. He's always been small and underpowered.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: No, it doesn't but I will give him credit for drafting John Sullivan in R6 of the 2008 draft. That pick worked out well for the Vikes.
True, but remember Jim: Sullivan was flat out bad until roughly 2011. Sullivan was anointed after 2008 and we forced out Matt Birk because of that. I cannot say for certain, but if Birk stayed on for 2009, there is a big chance we are in the Super Bowl.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:meh. I like Sullivan, but he has always been wildly overrated by Vikings fans. He's always been small and underpowered.
There's a difference between an overrated player with shortcomings and a bad player. Sullivan has been a good player over the years, just not without flaws and (in my opinion anyway) not as good as his predecessor at the position. He has certainly been much better than the other players on that list above. I think it would be a huge stretch to call the 6th round pick spent on Sullivan a "miss".
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: True, but remember Jim: Sullivan was flat out bad until roughly 2011. Sullivan was anointed after 2008 and we forced out Matt Birk because of that. I cannot say for certain, but if Birk stayed on for 2009, there is a big chance we are in the Super Bowl.

No argument here.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Sullivan was very overrated. I was never a big fan of his. I think Berger has been a much better center than sully ever was.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Sullivan was very overrated. I was never a big fan of his. I think Berger has been a much better center than sully ever was.
I think Sullivan is the superior blocker of the two and from what I've read, he was better at making the line calls too. As far as I'm concerned, he started over Berger for years for good reason.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The fair criticism of Spielman in this FA is the fact that he found himself needing to sign two FA tackles in the first place.

I actually think the Viking handled FA pretty well. Okung and Kalil were far overpaid for their overall skill on the field, especially when considering their injury history. Wentworth will perform for the Rams until age catches him, so not a bad signing, but a limited one. In the case of the Vikings we signed two guys who have time in front of them. So if they do pan out, we'll reap more benefit.

Whether they pan out is far from a guarantee. I think Reiff should be a solid upgrade, he has shown solid durability over his career. Remmers I'm less certain about. Regardless, they are superior to what we fielded in 2016 even if they are not elite within the NFL. That alone bodes well for the Vikings.

I have to admit I'm rather intrigued by the Latavius Murray signing. It really sounds like he'll be a great fit for us. Time will tell there.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi