2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RFIP
Veteran

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by RFIP »

fiestavike wrote: Do they need speed or do they need Boldin?

Diggs and Thielen are both really fast. They could use someone who can catch contested balls which they may be hoping is Treadwell. Bohringer may get his chance to be the 5th WR if they don't add a FA or draft a WR early. :confused:
Agreed. Boldin would be a hedge against Treadwell stinking again but he would not provide the type speed I speak of.

I love Diggs and Thielen but I do not think of either of them as field stretchers a la DJax, Toerry Smith, Antonio Brown, acouple of the Cards receivers who names escape me, etc.

And for those who think Cook would not have started here I bet you they would have run a LOT of 2 TE sets which would have been amazing...

This draft is VERY deep at TE so it would not surprise me to see them dip in to that pool. Either way, they need at least 1 more wr of some ilk too.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 5d9cd2d88f

Murray's highlights from last year. One thing you always notice with him, he hits the line at full speed. He isn't a dancer. We had a lot of that this year. I'm not sure what there isn't to like about the kid. He isn't going to "wow" you but he's definitely a solid back. I just hope that since we had AP so long, we're going to hold every RB to his standards when it comes to running the ball. If thats the case, nobody will be happy with our RB situation for years from now.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 5d9cd2d88f

Murray's highlights from last year. One thing you always notice with him, he hits the line at full speed. He isn't a dancer. We had a lot of that this year. I'm not sure what there isn't to like about the kid. He isn't going to "wow" you but he's definitely a solid back. I just hope that since we had AP so long, we're going to hold every RB to his standards when it comes to running the ball. If thats the case, nobody will be happy with our RB situation for years from now.
Lol. I see a lot of holes being created by a good oline. Let's pray we are vastly improve in that area.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Very well said Kapp. I agree 100%. He hasnt been able to do much outside of running from under center which he was unbelievable at. But the rest of his game was far from great.
His issues running out of the gun has more to do with who he is. Running out of the gun requires deception. Typically a draw fakes pass and it's that moment of delay that opens up lanes for the running back. When you name is AP and the other teams has all eyes on you, the delay is non existent.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 5d9cd2d88f

A guy whos broke 1000 yards once and only made it through one season with plus 200 carries, I don't expect much or anything to be honest. I for see another terrible year running the ball.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote: A guy whos broke 1000 yards once and only made it through one season with plus 200 carries, I don't expect much or anything to be honest. I for see another terrible year running the ball.
Why don't you wait to see what goes on in the draft before we just predict we're going to have another terrible year running the ball. His sophomore year he didn't come on until the end when he was given a shot. His rookie year he didn't see the field. So judging either of those years brings nothing to the table.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

allday1991 wrote: A guy whos broke 1000 yards once and only made it through one season with plus 200 carries, I don't expect much or anything to be honest. I for see another terrible year running the ball.
Didn't actually watch the highlights, did you?

What I see on this video is better than anything we had on our roster going into this offseason, by far. Yes, that includes Adrian Peterson.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I think that the point that many are forgetting is that, we are becoming SAMs team. We are transitioning to a passing team. I think people are getting too caught up in the past and need to look at what they are trying to do. 2 OT and a Great Pass blocking RB. We might see our QB stay upright. Sustain drives and score more TDs than our defense.

I am choosing to be optimistic.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Didn't actually watch the highlights, did you?

What I see on this video is better than anything we had on our roster going into this offseason, by far. Yes, that includes Adrian Peterson.
Exactly. I don't care if he has a good OL or not in this video. Bottom line is he hits the line at full speed, he's a one cut RB that doesn't dance in the hole and can fit through tiny windows.

No less our OL is already drastically different from last years. And we added two tackles that excellent run blockers and will add a new guard in the draft.

So all in all, we get an improvement at RB and two OL that are very good run blockers yet you see us having another terrible season running the ball? Hmmm
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:You'll kidding, right?

Adrian Peterson has never been close to multi-dimensional. He's been great, great, GREAT at what he does, which is run the football. First-ballot HOF great. But he's never been even average at catching the ball out of the backfield. He simply doesn't have good hands, Jim. He's also a poor blocker, not because of any lack of physical capability, but because he often doesn't know who he's supposed to block. You keep saying that the coaches don't use him in a multi-dimensional way. I agree. There's a reason for that.

And the stats don't lie. Adrian Peterson's per-carry average out of the gun is significantly less than his average out of the I. He's never been a patient runner, which is a must running out of the gun.

It's almost like you take these criticisms personally, Jim. Adrian Peterson is one of the greatest players I've ever seen, and THE best runner I've ever seen. But he's not perfect, and he's not multi-dimensional. Never has been. Why can't that be OK?
He's not a back who's so limited he can only run successfully out of one formation either. Why can't that be okay, especially since it's a demonstrable fact?
This is a simple case of Adrian Peterson's skillset not fitting what the Vikings want to do going forward. It sucks, but it's the truth. I don't know whether Latavius Murray fills the bill, but I understand why they are going this direction.
I understand it too. I have all along, which is why I didn't expect Peterson to be back in 2017.

As for the rest, it's the exaggerations that aggravate me. I don't take them personally, I just get tired of them.

I've never said Peterson's a great blocker or that he has great hands but he's not incompetent in either area, which is how he's often portrayed. As I said, he's not a wholly one-dimensional player. How has a back who's supposedly useless in the passing game accumulated almost 2000 yards receiving in his career?There's a difference between not being able to do something and not excelling at it. He's caught passes, blocked blitzers, played on third downs, made good runs from the shotgun formation, etc. These are aspects of his game the team has made very little effort to develop over the years. I think he's shown he's adaptable and I also think he's shown he can improve on his shortcomings when he sets his mind to it and is given sufficient opportunity. He'll never have the versatility of Payton or Tomlinson and I've never claimed he does but he's not a one trick pony.

As for the shotgun: blocking and the very nature of the Vikings offense has had a lot to do with him being less successful running from the gun, not that he's ever been asked to run from it much in the first place. Of course, as I wrote above, he has run from it and he's had some good runs from it too so again, it's not that he can't do it. He's less effective from it. Why that surprises anyone or why it's turned into a hammer with which to bludgeon the guy for the last few seasons is beyond me, since it's a passing formation. It's hard to imagine that a running back would run better from a running formation than a passing formation. ;) It's especially hard to imagine that would be true on a team that's had an anemic passing game for most of that running back's career!

The determination to denigrate Peterson because fans want the team to move in another direction annoys me. The latter can happen without the exaggerated disparagement of one of the Vikings all-time great players.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

YikesVikes wrote:His issues running out of the gun has more to do with who he is. Running out of the gun requires deception. Typically a draw fakes pass and it's that moment of delay that opens up lanes for the running back. When you name is AP and the other teams has all eyes on you, the delay is non existent.
Exactly! At long last, somebody who gets it. Thank you.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: Exactly! At long last, somebody who gets it. Thank you.
Either way, Peterson has came out and said he didnt like it. He said he feels more comfortable getting a 7 hard head start vs. just running from a flat stance. You can blame the OL, the OC, the offense, whoever, but bottom line is, it didnt fit his style of running and never will. He admitted it he didnt like it. Another reason why I didnt mind moving on from him because if we're going more shotgun based, whats the purpose of holding onto him. We dont have time to sit here and try and let him learn how to do it. Or complain to the media that he isnt a fan of it. It's just much easier moving on. He didnt fit Shurmur's system
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Either way, Peterson has came out and said he didnt like it. He said he feels more comfortable getting a 7 hard head start vs. just running from a flat stance.
Why wouldn't he prefer to run a wider variety of plays from a running formation with a 7 yard start? He's a freakin' running back. If I played the position, i;d prefer that too over running out of a formation designed for pass blocking and that relies on deception for a running play to succeed.

Players have preferences and that one is logical. That's not exactly news and it's not detrimental.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: Why wouldn't he prefer to run a wider variety of plays from a running formation with a 7 yard start? He's a freakin' running back. If I played the position, i;d prefer that too over running out of a formation designed for pass blocking and that relies on deception for a running play to succeed.

Players have preferences and that one is logical. That's not exactly news and it's not detrimental.
Well point being, he realized he wasnt very good at it. There are plenty of RBs that are very effective at it. He is not. We're in a league now where the most effective RBs are effective at both. Look at guys like Leveon Bell and David Johnson. They can be effective out of any formation. Peterson cant and that would be a problem for us given the style of offense we have now
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Well point being, he realized he wasnt very good at it. There are plenty of RBs that are very effective at it. He is not. We're in a league now where the most effective RBs are effective at both. Look at guys like Leveon Bell and David Johnson. They can be effective out of any formation. Peterson cant and that would be a problem for us given the style of offense we have now
I don't think that's true but I'm not going to go in circles with you about this.