2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

JDLon
Rookie

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by JDLon »

Think Murray and Cook are both in the facility today...talk of signing might be a bit premature.

I think both would be solid signings at the right price. A decent catching TE to provide support for Rudolph (and to cover potential injury) and a solid blocking back as a complementary piece for McKinnon and meaning we can sign a top RB if one drops to us but won't have to reach for one.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JDLon wrote:Think Murray and Cook are both in the facility today...talk of signing might be a bit premature.

I think both would be solid signings at the right price. A decent catching TE to provide support for Rudolph (and to cover potential injury) and a solid blocking back as a complementary piece for McKinnon and meaning we can sign a top RB if one drops to us but won't have to reach for one.
Exactly the way I look at it
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

JDLon wrote:Think Murray and Cook are both in the facility today...talk of signing might be a bit premature.

via Ben Goessling
Instead, the Vikings will turn their attention to the 26-year-old Murray, who scored 12 rushing touchdowns and caught 33 passes for the Raiders in 14 games last season. Though only 196 of his 543 career carries have come in the shotgun or the pistol, according to ESPN Stats and Information, Murray has averaged 4.14 yards per carry out of those sets, while playing more than half of his career snaps out of those sets. He's been on the field for 288 third-down snaps in the last four years, and has run more than 80 percent of his routes from shotgun or pistol sets.
In other words, he might be a logical fit for what the Vikings are trying to do on offense
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

I don't understand the infatuation with Patterson. He was a first round gunner/kr. Yea he is explosive but it takes much more than that to be a WR in the NFL, and also a bit immature IMO. I think it's pretty obvious that's how the rest of the NFL thinks of him also with the deal he got. Not a big loss for him to go.

I'm not really pumped about the Murray signing. I believe he's a middling back in the NFL. Will be curious to see contract details. It's time to move on from AP tho. He simply doesn't fit with 85% of offenses in the NFL. Honestly can't think of a situation for him to go to where he's a match.

I like the OL signings. Adding quality and much much much needed depth. Remember there is still the draft.

The jones signing is interesting. Has a chance to flourish under zimmer. Especially a prove it deal where the guy can make himself a boatload of money after this year. I like having players on the team that play with their hair on fire for that contract.

If cook is signed that would give two quality pass catching TE. I'm too lazy to look but was he in STL with Sam?
Last edited by vatusay on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Just pointing out that Murray has NOT been signed yet. Despite what was posted, there has been no other news providing proof that he is in fact a Viking as of this moment.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: You're simply saying If we got Jeffery and Lacy it would've been better just because they're big names. If you take the time to sit down and think about it and look at their recent production, you would realize you could easily go in other directions instead of wasting money. Lacy is 267 and Jeffery has missed how many games in two years? But yeah if we signed them it would've been a lot better :confused:
Just because you make an assumption doesn't make it so.
1) Alshon played in 12 games last season. I believe that doesn't include the 4 that he was suspended for. Assuming that past injury history equal future injuries is also a logical fallacy. Most importantly, he does exactly what we need at the WR position. He is very adept at catching the deep ball, which in it's self is surprising because he doesn't have elite speed. All of this despite him playing with a replacement QB that makes Sam look like Montana.

2) Despite the injuries to Lacy last season. I believe he is a very capable RB. Looking at his touches and net yardage, he appeared to be a RB that would thrive in our system. Almost the perfect compliment to Mckinnon and/or my choice for 2nd round pick Mixon. As far as his weight it was reported by a WI reporter. I wonder who his source was and if they might have a reason to give a bogus number? You think?

Murray however, is a RB that cannot create. He put up abysmal numbers despite having arguably the 2nd best OL in football, one of the best young Qbs in the game and two studs at WR. Basically every advantage imaginable. He is an improvement over Matt but not someone I would trust to improve our historically awful run game.

In closing, I just want to say that sometimes signing two players that in the past have proven their ability is often better than signing players that you hope you can get more out of. As previously said, we are chasing a 2nd string TE and a 4th String DE when we have bigger issues. You can't tell me that KR is more important than depth for our backups.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

Sam DID play with Cook in St. Louis. Cook was a notorious ball-dropper then though. Seems to have improved since then.

Still not seeing confirmation beyond that yahoo article about Murray signing, so it does seem premature.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

vatusay wrote: Especially a probe it deal where the guy can make himself a boatload of money after this year.
Reuben Foster thought he didn't like the medical he got at the combine? Wait till he gets to the NFL and gets offered a probe it deal.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

lol I edited that darn thing twice.
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

Great news - Newman is coming back (per Ben Goessling)
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Vikings Twitter has just made it official:

Terrence Newman is BACK!
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Looks like Thielen is re-signed. Good news! Will be interesting to see exactly what the final numbers end up being.

http://www.startribune.com/source-adam- ... 416260594/
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Just because you make an assumption doesn't make it so.
1) Alshon played in 12 games last season. I believe that doesn't include the 4 that he was suspended for. Assuming that past injury history equal future injuries is also a logical fallacy. Most importantly, he does exactly what we need at the WR position. He is very adept at catching the deep ball, which in it's self is surprising because he doesn't have elite speed. All of this despite him playing with a replacement QB that makes Sam look like Montana.

2) Despite the injuries to Lacy last season. I believe he is a very capable RB. Looking at his touches and net yardage, he appeared to be a RB that would thrive in our system. Almost the perfect compliment to Mckinnon and/or my choice for 2nd round pick Mixon. As far as his weight it was reported by a WI reporter. I wonder who his source was and if they might have a reason to give a bogus number? You think?

Murray however, is a RB that cannot create. He put up abysmal numbers despite having arguably the 2nd best OL in football, one of the best young Qbs in the game and two studs at WR. Basically every advantage imaginable. He is an improvement over Matt but not someone I would trust to improve our historically awful run game.

In closing, I just want to say that sometimes signing two players that in the past have proven their ability is often better than signing players that you hope you can get more out of. As previously said, we are chasing a 2nd string TE and a 4th String DE when we have bigger issues. You can't tell me that KR is more important than depth for our backups.
I don't have the time to assess all this right now because I gotta run. I can do it later. But Datone Jones isn't a "4th string DE". They plan on playing 3 tech which is what we need. Bottom line is, we're assessing the positions we need to assess. There really isn't a position we haven't gone after yet that we need. Other than probably OG which I'm sure they're banking on drafting. Just let FA take its course then assess these moves after. Still a long way to go
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@eric_j_thompson
6m
Relatively speaking to other WR deals, Thielen's new contract is a steal for someone with his production. Love the deal all around.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I don't have the time to assess all this right now because I gotta run. I can do it later. But Datone Jones isn't a "4th string DE". They plan on playing 3 tech which is what we need. Bottom line is, we're assessing the positions we need to assess. There really isn't a position we haven't gone after yet that we need. Other than probably OG which I'm sure they're banking on drafting. Just let FA take its course then assess these moves after. Still a long way to go
His signing doesn't help us.
1) He is a 4th stringer though.

Floyd
Johnson
Robison....

Maybe at best we go Nascar and take out both DT and run Johnson and him together. Maybe he gets in there more than Robison this season? So he's 3rd??? :confused: