2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by IIsweet »

fiestavike wrote: This is the key point IMO. The Vikings actually have a good enough core of young talent that they could potentially run into cap problems for the first time in years trying to keep them all. You lose those guys when you spend 10 million combined a season on your KR/WR4 and your Nickel. Its not that they are bad players who couldn't contribute, but those positions need to be manned by young guys on rookie deals or else teams start to see their foundational players become too expensive to retain AND they haven't develpoed any young talent behind them to come in and play.
You're right Fiesta, we have talented drafted kids that are becoming playmakers.
I think Waynes really steps his game up and becomes a solid starter opposite Rhodes who NEEDS an extension !! Waynes will need one in 2 years also. Hunter, Barr, Kendricks are all players that we will also want to keep on a 2nd contract. Griffens current contract will expire in a couple years but probably will be renegotiated. Linval will be in a similar position. Diggs will want a new contract also as he has done nothing but produce.
Let's not forget, they might be saving their money this year to sign Bradford to a big deal after June 1 cap hits and use the extra cash for signing bonus ???

I expect Alexander to be able to step into the nickel spot and hopefully hold his own. What's Newman doing?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

IIsweet wrote: You're right Fiesta, we have talented drafted kids that are becoming playmakers.
I think Waynes really steps his game up and becomes a solid starter opposite Rhodes who NEEDS an extension !! Waynes will need one in 2 years also. Hunter, Barr, Kendricks are all players that we will also want to keep on a 2nd contract. Griffens current contract will expire in a couple years but probably will be renegotiated. Linval will be in a similar position. Diggs will want a new contract also as he has done nothing but produce.
Let's not forget, they might be saving their money this year to sign Bradford to a big deal after June 1 cap hits and use the extra cash for signing bonus ???

I expect Alexander to be able to step into the nickel spot and hopefully hold his own. What's Newman doing?
Exactly. Every year guys want huge splashes. We addressed the OL quite well in the first wave which EVERYONE was asking for. They did. We have looked into many other FA's. Robey Coleman would be a great fit in the slot, Cook would be great depth behind Rudy, Webb adds good CB/S depth, Datone Jones adds good depth along the front 7, Murray is a solid RB, PLUS we got the draft. Some fans need to take a chill pill

I could give two craps about Audie Cole, Rhett Ellison, given the route we went Matt Kalil, Charles Johnson, etc. Yeah It sucks losing Cap and CP but it's not like they're big time FA's like Zeitler, Wagner, Buoye, Gilmore, etc. When was the last time we let a big time FA walk?????? And guys sit here and say Spielman isn't very good at his job partly in due to us losing guys this offseason???

Imagine being a team like Cincy where you lose BOTH, not one, BOTH of their best OL because they have too much money tied up in other unnecessary areas. That's what Spielman is avoiding. He wouldn't never let guys like Harrison Smith, Rhodes, etc walk. Other teams have done this. You guys just want to sit there and act like he does nothing and doesn't know how to do his job partly due to us not resigning Cordarrelle Patterson?? Seriously? Give the guy some credit for once my god.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Exactly. Every year guys want huge splashes. We addressed the OL quite well in the first wave which EVERYONE was asking for. They did. We have looked into many other FA's. Robey Coleman would be a great fit in the slot, Cook would be great depth behind Rudy, Webb adds good CB/S depth, Datone Jones adds good depth along the front 7, Murray is a solid RB, PLUS we got the draft. Some fans need to take a chill pill

I could give two craps about Audie Cole, Rhett Ellison, given the route we went Matt Kalil, Charles Johnson, etc. Yeah It sucks losing Cap and CP but it's not like they're big time FA's like Zeitler, Wagner, Buoye, Gilmore, etc. When was the last time we let a big time FA walk?????? And guys sit here and say Spielman isn't very good at his job partly in due to us losing guys this offseason???

Imagine being a team like Cincy where you lose BOTH, not one, BOTH of their best OL because they have too much money tied up in other unnecessary areas. That's what Spielman is avoiding. He wouldn't never let guys like Harrison Smith, Rhodes, etc walk. Other teams have done this. You guys just want to sit there and act like he does nothing and doesn't know how to do his job partly due to us not resigning Cordarrelle Patterson?? Seriously?

I get the point, and I'm not trying to get into a spat with you, but you should re-read what you wrote and reflect if there is a way to come across a little more 'Minnesota nice'. :v):
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

fiestavike wrote: This is the key point IMO. The Vikings actually have a good enough core of young talent that they could potentially run into cap problems for the first time in years trying to keep them all. You lose those guys when you spend 10 million combined a season on your KR/WR4 and your Nickel. Its not that they are bad players who couldn't contribute, but those positions need to be manned by young guys on rookie deals or else teams start to see their foundational players become too expensive to retain AND they haven't develpoed any young talent behind them to come in and play.

Very well said!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

MikethePurple wrote:
I've been wondering too about the lack of Thielen news. I guess its good that no one has swooped in to pick him up yet as he is a restricted free agent if I'm correct? What round tender did they give him? Second?
Yup 2nd round tender.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:
I get the point, and I'm not trying to get into a spat with you, but you should re-read what you wrote and reflect if there is a way to come across a little more 'Minnesota nice'. :v):
Yes, please do that, PHP.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
:lol: I get what you're saying. It's just every year there is some kind of freakout over who we sign and don't sign in FA. I know I got like that with Wagner but the more I look at, I'd rather have Reiff and Remmers vs just having Wagner so I was definitely wrong there. Usually every year I'm one of the guys saying relax and let Spielman take his course. I just really wanted Wagner but I like what we have now. Plus I really like what we're going after in this second wave like Robey Coleman, Cook, Webb, Jones, Murray, etc.

Hey it puts a dent in my offseason mocks :lol: I had us signing Wagner, Omemeh and Okafor who all signed with other teams. I usually hit on one FA :|
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think people need to realize at a certain point you need to cut ties with certain players when you have high round people waiting in the wings. Alexander was a 2nd rounder and should be an upgrade to Captain. Treadwell was a 1st rounder and should be an upgrade to Patterson. Operative word here is should. But that's the way it works, the cap doesn't allow teams to hold onto everyone so at some point your young guys need to step up.

Yes, Patterson was also a 1st rounder and it sucks that he didn't pan out but at least the contingency isn't unknown. The offseason is where tough decisions need to be made, while no one has been re-signed yet, lets not forget they brought in two new tackles, which is pretty huge.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:I think people need to realize at a certain point you need to cut ties with certain players when you have high round people waiting in the wings. Alexander was a 2nd rounder and should be an upgrade to Captain. Treadwell was a 1st rounder and should be an upgrade to Patterson. Operative word here is should. But that's the way it works, the cap doesn't allow teams to hold onto everyone so at some point your young guys need to step up.

Yes, Patterson was also a 1st rounder and it sucks that he didn't pan out but at least the contingency isn't unknown. The offseason is where tough decisions need to be made, while no one has been re-signed yet, lets not forget they brought in two new tackles, which is pretty huge.
Exactly. Well said!
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I think people need to realize at a certain point you need to cut ties with certain players when you have high round people waiting in the wings. Alexander was a 2nd rounder and should be an upgrade to Captain. Treadwell was a 1st rounder and should be an upgrade to Patterson. Operative word here is should. But that's the way it works, the cap doesn't allow teams to hold onto everyone so at some point your young guys need to step up.

Huge? Well, thanks to some serious mismanagement they desperately needed tackles so I guess it's hue in the sense that they actually have more qualified players for those positions now. However, let's also not forget, in a discussion about the importance of a team keeping their young guys, that those 2 tackles are young guys and their previous teams decided they were no longer needed. The Lions seemed perfectly happy to let Reiff, a former first round pick, walk after his rookie contract. As far as I've been able to determine, the Panthers showed no interest in keeping Remmers at all and both Reiff and Remmers are healthy and in their prime.

The departure of Patterson is disappointing to me because I thought he brought serious value to the team as a special teams player and he emerged last year from whatever doghouse they had him locked in and played well. I felt he was worth keeping for another season or two, especially since the offense appears to moving in a direction in which his skills and talent could be very valuable. Of course, like Reiff, he's a former first round pick whose team seemed happy to let him walk so that tells us something about how both players were ultimately viewed by the teams that drafted them.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

S197 wrote: Yup 2nd round tender.
Cool, thanks!
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I'll wait and see on the o-line moves.
it seems last season they signed two o-line FAs in Boone and Smith.

I could probably swing a dead cat and hit two tackles that can outperform what was on the field last year. It's really hard to tell what they have on the line until there is some overall systemic and health stability...unless it's guys who should not be playing anywhere like clemmings, in my opinion.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings sign Datone Jones

Solid signing. Good depth up front!
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Vikings sign Datone Jones

Solid signing. Good depth up front!
I keep seeing him listed as a DE which is interesting given we have 3 good DEs and on the heels of losing Greenways leadership I dont think they'd cut ties with Robison. I like the idea of putting him at either 3 technique or strong side LB. I will be really interested to see how they use him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

fiestavike wrote: I keep seeing him listed as a DE which is interesting given we have 3 good DEs and on the heels of losing Greenways leadership I dont think they'd cut ties with Robison. I like the idea of putting him at either 3 technique or strong side LB. I will be really interested to see how they use him.
Listening to his introduction to the Twin Cities media, sounds like he'll be DL, and definitely be playing some 3 Tech. Sounds like he met Zimmer and coach Andre Patterson and got a real sense of the role they have for him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins