Toxic Leadership

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Alaskan
Starter

Re: Toxic Leadership

Post by Alaskan »

chicagopurple wrote:I think it absurd to suggest that this is the Wilfs fault...The guy has opened his massive wallet and spent his own cash to build this team and stadium. He has NOT been a hands on owner who interferes with Football operations. He is not running around on the side lines or making drafting decisions. He has NOT stopped Spielman from recruiting, or retaining veterans. The ONE thing WIlf IS responsible for is Hiring and retaining Spielman and company.....that IS his call.
Best do some fact checking on the stadium funding because you are misinformed.

Ziggy was a part of the "triangle of power" a few years back along with Chilly and Spielman. How do you know he isn't involved in draft vetting or retaining veteran's? I see him in the War room at every draft. How do you know how involved he is in football operations? From what I have seen he's actively involved in football operation's to this day. He's not involved like Jerry Jones, but he's involved and you can believe Spielman and Zimmer are listing to what he has to say. If they didn't, they'd be long gone.

My point is this; Building a winner and building a money maker are not necessarily the same thing. I believe the Viking's have been more of a tool in building the Wilf's empire. I don't see there number one priority as building a champion.

Just my view.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Yeah, too much is made of the family members comments in the last few years. I don't give a #### what AD's dad or Ellison's grandmother or Teddy's third cousin says. Shut up and let the players play.
Did anyone hear Paul Allen's comments about meeting the elder Ellison? Daddy asked him what qualified him to announce Vikings games. PA ended by calling him a "blowhard" (I think that was the term), and pretty much wrote off his Toxic Leadership comments.

And while I am at it, Greenway's recent big time supportive comments about the Coach.

Anyhow, these both provide some additional perspective.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

Sorry your son isn't as talented as Rudolph. Move on, guy. The Vikings clearly have.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the comments.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I'm sorry, who is Riki Ellison and why should I give a damn about what he says?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

I'd be interested to hear if Peterson's dad has any comment to make on Ellison's dad's comments.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Correct. They were 5-2 with Turner as OC and 3-6 after his departure. Their last two games before he left were the road losses to the Eagles and Bears.
I always got the feeling that after the two losses in a row Zimmer got nervous and tried to change the way Turner called games. Turner was under the impression that he would get to have free reign on the offense (which he did) and that stopped happening so he left.

That's all speculation of course, but it seemed reasonable to me.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Alaskan wrote:Ziggy was a part of the "triangle of power" a few years back along with Chilly and Spielman.

The 3 corners of the "Triangle of Authority" were Brad Childress, Rick Spielman and Rob Brzezinski, who remains the current Vice President of Football Operations. Brzezinski manages the cap and negotiates contracts.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Wilf has always made a very concious effort to avoid being a hands on owner in terms of football operations. He knows he is a businessman and a good one. He lets the Fottball guys make the football decisions. He is no Jerry Jones........He has been way too patient with Spielman tho.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

JDLon wrote:I'd be interested to hear if Peterson's dad has any comment to make on Ellison's dad's comments.
Well, I'm someone's dad, and I think ... I'll have another beer.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PA really did light up riki ellison.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Mothman wrote:

The 3 corners of the "Triangle of Authority" were Brad Childress, Rick Spielman and Rob Brzezinski, who remains the current Vice President of Football Operations. Brzezinski manages the cap and negotiates contracts.
I stand corrected. Your right. I don't know why I had it in my head that Ziggy was part of the Triangle. I most likely read something to that effect at some point and it stuck. In any event the Wilf's where the ones who implemented this strange power structure.

I researching the "triangle of authority" in a google search....I found a lot of interesting information. It really appears to me that the Wilf's have been fumbling around at managing this organization since they took over as owner's. I would recommend doing a search on it. After doing some research, when someone brings up "toxic leadership", I can relate to what they are trying to say. There has been red flag, after red flag, since the Wilf's bought the team in 2005.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote:Spielman isn't good at this job. (Which has been clear since he was hired.)
And Zimmer is an old school hard headed rub some dirt on it coach who should probably be a defensive coordinator. (or a head coach with a clear focus on defense and not much more..which is what it seemed like he has been)
I agree one hundred percent. And that doesn't sound like a championship combination to me. :steamed:
Alaskan wrote:I researching the "triangle of authority" in a google search....I found a lot of interesting information. It really appears to me that the Wilf's have been fumbling around at managing this organization since they took over as owner's. I would recommend doing a search on it. After doing some research, when someone brings up "toxic leadership", I can relate to what they are trying to say. There has been red flag, after red flag, since the Wilf's bought the team in 2005.
Correct!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Spielman helped build a good team when Childress made the calls on who to bring in. I wonder if Childress would make a good GM?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Spielman helped build a good team when Childress made the calls on who to bring in. I wonder if Childress would make a good GM?
I'm sure Childress thinks he would.

I really don't want any part of that egomaniac again. Too divisive and bull-headed.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

losperros wrote: I'm sure Childress thinks he would.

I really don't want any part of that egomaniac again. Too divisive and bull-headed.
Probably my lease favorite member of the Vikings organization ever, with the exception of Darren Sharper.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins