Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers

Post by IIsweet »

Remmers was at LT. Von Miller was a BEAST. Remmers is a RT.
I will take that guy and challenge him to make sure that doesn't happen again...
Still very happy with our OT signings
Last edited by IIsweet on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Newton is also a QB that does not get the ball out quick. Look how long he held onto it when Hunter sacked him for a safety for example. Bradford gets it out much quicker which is an advantage for Remmers. No less, he was the best OL vs us this season in that game
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Newton is also a QB that does not get the ball out quick. Look how long he held onto it when Hunter sacked him for a safety for example. Bradford gets it out much quicker which is an advantage for Remmers. No less, he was the best OL vs us this season in that game
Yes, its a new day for the Vikings offense. This is why I don't think it would have made a ton of sense to sign Wagner. The ball is going to get out quick, and we're going to run a lot of draw plays.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

We don't have to have the best OL. Just markedly better than last years.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:We don't have to have the best OL. Just markedly better than last years.
I'd put it this way: they don't need the best but they need an OL that can do the job when it counts. That would be markedly better than last year but the team's attitude shouldn't be "good enough is good enough". Spielman has shown way too much of a tendency to just settle for that kind of thinking over the years.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I'd put it this way: they don't need the best but they need an OL that can do the job when it counts. That would be markedly better than last year but the team's attitude shouldn't be "good enough is good enough". Spielman has shown way too much of a tendency to just settle for that kind of thinking over the years.
The vikings are going to ask less of their offensive line, especially in pass protection. If they bring in one more interior lineman in FA, don't be surprised to see the 2017 draft be very heavy on defense again!

I'd set the over under for OL players drafted at 2.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: The vikings are going to ask less of their offensive line, especially in pass protection. If they bring in one more interior lineman in FA, don't be surprised to see the 2017 draft be very heavy on defense again!

I'd set the over under for OL players drafted at 2.
That's a smart place to set it. Maybe you missed your calling!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Yes, they paid a lot of money for guys that are not Pro Bowlers but will get Pro Bowl cash....but that is the fault of the Organization for letting the OL problem fester for years then only addressing the problem when it was a catastrophe during a year when Everyone else also was looking for OL help so even the mediocre players are getting huge deals.

Will it be an improvemnt...probably given the horrid players at OL last year, BUT, if its only a mediocre improvement, it wont seem like it when you look at the purchase price.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

IrishViking wrote:We don't have to have the best OL. Just markedly better than last years.
Agreed and have durability and that's what we signed in Reiff and Remmers
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

chicagopurple wrote:Yes, they paid a lot of money for guys that are not Pro Bowlers but will get Pro Bowl cash....but that is the fault of the Organization for letting the OL problem fester for years then only addressing the problem when it was a catastrophe during a year when Everyone else also was looking for OL help so even the mediocre players are getting huge deals.

Will it be an improvemnt...probably given the horrid players at OL last year, BUT, if its only a mediocre improvement, it wont seem like it when you look at the purchase price.
I don't agree with the "everyone needed OL help" stuff. This is an every year thing. Bottom line is, it's a weak tackle FA class and draft class. That is why these guys are getting the money they're getting. Not because "everyone needs OL help". Not even half the teams in the NFL have signed an OT in FA. That isn't even close to being "everyone". Let's put that one to rest
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Chicago, GB, Carolina, and many other teams are all looking to shore up their OL this year. On top of that, as you admit, its a weak draft year for the positions. On top of that, the teams all had a bump in their player budget limits increasing their spending....its a perfect storm to create over paid journeyman players......and we fell right into the mess.
Last edited by chicagopurple on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

chicagopurple wrote:Chicago, GB, Carolina, and many other teams are all looking to shore up their OL this year. On top of that, as you admit, its a weak draft year for the positions. On top of that, the teaas all had a bump in their player budget limits increasing their spending....its a perfect storm to create over paid journeyman players......and we fell right into the mess.
Reiff is the only concern because of the amount guaranteed and the 3 year true nature of the deal. Would prefer it had either been cheaper or for 2 years. Sounds like Remmers is a team friendly deal to me.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I am just so desperate to see a season with great pass protection and run blocking.....its sad how long it has been since I could say that! I really enjoyed watching the Cowboys (UGH!) this year just for that reason...it was pretty awesome watching their front line.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah I think most teams need help on their own lines.. especially at Tackle
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I agree we are having to overpay for not having addressed this properly. But that's the game. Look at Brock Osi! He is going to literally retire on money made from teams overpaying for a position that has festered on their team. To me it becomes not what you want in an ideal situation but if someone had a group of Olinemen at the end of last a season and said "For 80% of your cap space I'll make your OL 15% better across the board" I think most everyone would have gone for that. Thats basically what they are doing. In moneyball measurements we ARE overpaying, for the reality of the situation we are actually doing pretty well I think. Two of the better/best *AVAILABLE* pieces at literally our greatest weakness.

Just imagine if our OL had played roughly 10% better last year. Doesn't sound like much but that's a lot more yards, pushes, pancakes, several fewer sacks, etc 30 million is a lot to pay for that, but you have to make do with what you got.