Vikings grades: Offensive Line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings grades: Offensive Line

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

IIsweet wrote:True, but I wonder if Rashod Hill and Sirles are enough as backup OT ?
Still have Beavers as he was a rookie last year.
I am very pleased with the fact that we have our 2 OT signed for the next 5 years !

However, having watched Spielman draft for years now... I will be extremely surprised to see him select the best available OL. He will be looking at the best athlete as always.
I hope that a draft scenario with Feeney and Pocic is available and he addresses the OL.
I think he will. You're going to see a RB in there too. I'm also wondering about the defense. Haven't seen any moves in that department yet
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

IIsweet wrote:Also add that Reiff and Remmers played out of position for 2016.
Reiff is a LT and graded out even higher as such. Remmers is a RT and graded even higher during the previous year too.

I am very pleased and now looking forward to the draft.
If we add more OL, then great. I am hoping for 2 solid OL in the draft. A OG like Feeney and a C like Elflein or Pocic
Right now as we stand:
LT - Reiff
LG - Boone
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / ???
RT - Remmers

LT - Reiff / Hill/ Shepherd
LG - Boone/ Kerin
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / Berger
RT - Remmers/ Fragel/ Clemmings
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

halfgiz wrote:

LT - Reiff / Hill/ Shepherd
LG - Boone/ Kerin
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / Berger
RT - Remmers/ Fragel/ Clemmings
Looks like a workable line to me. Perfect? No. Great? No. Good? Probably not. Average? Probably. But on paper it is probably the best that the Vikings have had in a while. Reiff and Remmers, will be huge upgrades, further, they're both reasonably decent. Boone and Berger were the only bright spots on the line last season. That just leaves RG which I would like to see them upgrade, but if they don't, I don't have a negative opinion of Sirles, I just don't think highly of him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Looks way better on paper but we'll see. I just hope Spielman doesn't make the same mistake and picks up at least a OT and G/Swing player in our first 5 picks.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

S197 wrote:Looks way better on paper but we'll see. I just hope Spielman doesn't make the same mistake and picks up at least a OT and G/Swing player in our first 5 picks.
He really needs to get a couple of decent OL picks in a he draft. He can't afford to miss.

At least we got a couple of tackles in FA.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

So here is what the NFL Draft Profile was on Willie Beavers.....
Maybe he is ready to push at RG ? He should be a lot stronger !

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3
NFL COMPARISON Derek Newton
BOTTOM LINE Beavers is very athletic with the feet to play left tackle, but has the talent and traits to play all over the offensive line with more technique work. While he clearly has some power and twitch in his hips, he could use a year in an NFL weight room to strengthen his core and upper body. Beavers is an eventual NFL starter who is likely to be targeted by teams who covet tackles who can excel in space.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

still would love to see Feeney taken in the draft.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Another thought...
Does anyone know the story behind Mike Harris ???

He could always come back on a cheap deal with prove it clauses !
He was pretty solid
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

IIsweet wrote:Another thought...
Does anyone know the story behind Mike Harris ???

He could always come back on a cheap deal with prove it clauses !
He was pretty solid
Mike Harris is done. The Vikings done him a big favor keeping him on the roster last year.
That made him eligible for lifetime insurance with the NFL. He has health issues that they have kept disclosed.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

halfgiz wrote: Mike Harris is done. The Vikings done him a big favor keeping him on the roster last year.
That made him eligible for lifetime insurance with the NFL. He has health issues that they have kept disclosed.
Oh wow, that's too bad for him.
Well, it was an idea. How about the thought of adding TJ Lang ?
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

S197 wrote:Looks way better on paper but we'll see. I just hope Spielman doesn't make the same mistake and picks up at least a OT and G/Swing player in our first 5 picks.

I'm hoping that Hill could be a sleeper......
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Remmers isn't much as a pass protector, and Reiff's strong suit is in run blocking as well. This fits with what we saw from Shurmur/Bradford last year. I think we'll see a lot of shotgun/draw action (Remmers undoubtedly ran a lot of this in Carolina) and a quick hitting passing game. They still need to be a lot more stout in the middle of the line. If those guys aren't in house, they still need to address it. Hopefully Boone will elevate his game. I think the attitude on the left side of the line with Reiff and Boone could be a plus, but attitude alone isn't gonna get it done.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike wrote:Remmers isn't much as a pass protector, and Reiff's strong suit is in run blocking as well. This fits with what we saw from Shurmur/Bradford last year. I think we'll see a lot of shotgun/draw action (Remmers undoubtedly ran a lot of this in Carolina) and a quick hitting passing game. They still need to be a lot more stout in the middle of the line. If those guys aren't in house, they still need to address it. Hopefully Boone will elevate his game. I think the attitude on the left side of the line with Reiff and Boone could be a plus, but attitude alone isn't gonna get it done.
I kind of give Boone a pass last season on his play. For most of the season he had different players at tackle or guard every other week.
I'm hoping for more stability and better play on the line this season.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: I kind of give Boone a pass last season on his play. For most of the season he had different players at tackle or guard every other week.
I'm hoping for more stability and better play on the line this season.
And he still didn't have that bad of a year. Somewhere in the 76 range according to PFF I believe
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And he still didn't have that bad of a year. Somewhere in the 76 range according to PFF I believe
PFF is fine and all, but particularly when it comes to line play I would take their ratings with a grain of salt. Boone is a versatile player and would be a great 6th lineman, but he's not and never will be top tier.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins