Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings signed RT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers, to a five-year, $30 million contract.
Remmers was badly exposed on the left side last season, but he is a decent option at right tackle. That is likely where he will play in Minnesota with fellow free-agent signing Riley Reiff taking over on the left side. It is a solid start to Minnesota's complete rebuild along the offensive line.
I'm honestly surprised we went tackle-tackle in FA. I figured we would go tackle-guard and then draft a RT. I think it's a decent signing. On the right side, he's been pretty decent.

I know someone mentioned earlier about when we faced Carolina and sacked them 8 times....Mike Remmers wasnt the one at fault in that game. He actually played very well.
Vikings secondary shouts down Newton

Newton was under duress for most of the afternoon as the Vikings defense continues to wreak havoc for opposing offenses in the passing game. A combination of pressures given up by the offensive line and coverage down the field forcing Newton to hold the ball made it difficult for Newton all day. He made several poor decisions with guys around his feet, throwing three interceptions. On the day Newton was sacked eight times, with three of those being pinned on Newton. The Vikings showed various blitz looks all day, holding Newton to 6-for-11 for 61 yards and 3 sacks on plays they blitzed.

Top offensive grades:

RT Mike Remmers, 85.7
RG Trai Turner, 81.2
FB Mike Tolbert, 79.7
LG Andrew Norell, 76.1
WR Corey Brown, 73.3
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings sign OT Mike Remmers, formerly of the Panthers

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Are things looking up for a change?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Are things looking up for a change?
I'll believe it when I see it. Interestingly signing Rieff was in response to the Lions letting him go when they signed the guy the Vikings actually wanted. Now they sign Remmers who Carolina let go because they signed Khalil. Two guys who were apparently viewed as not good enough elsewhere are now the Vikings starting tackles.

Will they be an improvement? Sure, but then almost any fat guy would over the hot garbage they fielded last year with all the injuries.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CbusVikesFan wrote:Are things looking up for a change?
From the OL perspective, I would say so. Two durable signings that are both better than what we had at LT and RT.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: From the OL perspective, I would say so. Two durable signings that are both better than what we had at LT and RT.
Pretty much anything the Vikings could do is an upgrade on the line. Really doesn't matter if they are other teams castoffs, Vikings were in serious trouble and needed to do something positive.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CbusVikesFan wrote: Pretty much anything the Vikings could do is an upgrade on the line. Really doesn't matter if they are other teams castoffs, Vikings were in serious trouble and needed to do something positive.
Yeah I think they were solid moves. Tackles were going to be tough to find and we found two serviceable to solid starters that have a healthy track record. I would now like to land a decent guard. If we can do that, our options could be endless in the draft when it comes to OL. If we leave an open hole, like RG, it kind of gives away what we're going to draft. If we have solid or serviceable starters at every position on the OL, we can take BPA on the OL come draft day
-Chazz Palminteri
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

SP1966 wrote: I'll believe it when I see it. Interestingly signing Rieff was in response to the Lions letting him go when they signed the guy the Vikings actually wanted. Now they sign Remmers who Carolina let go because they signed Khalil. Two guys who were apparently viewed as not good enough elsewhere are now the Vikings starting tackles.

Will they be an improvement? Sure, but then almost any fat guy would over the hot garbage they fielded last year with all the injuries.
I believe I Will sit in your camp till either or both tackles prove you wrong. I sure hope both don't prove to be cast offs
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Remmers also horrible with speed rushers.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Pretty much anything the Vikings could do is an upgrade on the line. Really doesn't matter if they are other teams castoffs, Vikings were in serious trouble and needed to do something positive.
This is an absolutely terrible attitude that would result in nothing but overpayed ####.

You would really sign two big contracts like this to two players that you deem castoffs, because "Anything is an upgrade"?

That is ridiculous, you don't sign guys to big contracts just for the sake of signing them, or out of sheer desperation. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that your GM didn't/wouldn't do that either.

Furthermore, Reiff and Remmers are hardly castoffs.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Laserman wrote: I believe I Will sit in your camp till either or both tackles prove you wrong. I sure hope both don't prove to be cast offs
How can you "prove to be cast offs"? What happened with their other teams are over with and regardless of what they do from here on out, nothing would change whether they were castoffs or not.

Which they weren't, btw, neither of them.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

SP1966 wrote: Two guys who were apparently viewed as not good enough elsewhere are now the Vikings starting tackles.
Being a free agent, is not the same as being viewed as "Not good enough elsewhere".

As to Remmers and Kalil, i'd take Remmers any friken day, I don't know what the Panthers were thinking.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

A views on Remmers as a Panther, from an article published last October:

Fix the Failure: Should the Panthers bench Mike Remmers?
The Carolina Panthers have one of the best interior offensive lines in the NFL, but their protection is lacking when it comes to their offensive tackles.

Sure, Mike Remmers and Michael Oher each played at an adequate to an above average level last season, but that same production hasn't been there in 2016. The result? Carolina has allowed 15 sacks, which ranks 27th in the NFL. Heading into last week, Remmers - a former undrafted free agent who bounced around the league before sticking with the Panthers in 2014 - was tied for allowing the most pressures in the NFL.

This poor start to the season was on the heels of an individual beat-down in Super Bowl 50, when Von Miller single-handedly won Denver the Super Bowl by beating Remmers and forcing two game-changing fumbles (though to be fair, Miller beat just about everyone last season).

Nonetheless, the Panthers were hoping for a bounce back year from Remmers. Not helping matters was Oher's recent concussion, causing Remmers to be moved to left tackle over his normal right tackle spot for the past three games. The results haven't been outstanding.
Based on what I've read about and seen of Remmers, this sure looks to me like another case of the Vikings installing a player at the level of a high quality backup in the role of multi-year starter. That said, Remmers is young enough to perhaps take another step in his development and be a worthy starter. Let's hope it plays out that way.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:A views on Remmers as a Panther, from an article published last October:

Fix the Failure: Should the Panthers bench Mike Remmers?
Based on what I've read about and seen of Remmers, this sure looks to me like another case of the Vikings installing a player at the level of a high quality backup in the role of multi-year starter. That said, Remmers is young enough to perhaps take another step in his development and be a worthy starter. Let's hope it plays out that way.
The way I look at it is, I would much rather have Reiff and Remmers right now instead of just Reiff at RT and have no LT still. I feel like this was a solid move given what was out there. If we can land a serviceable guard, it could allow us to take BPA for OL come draft day which I would like. We all knew this wasn't getting fixed in one offseason
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

His poor play was on the left side though. With Reiff the opposite happened. He struggled more on the right.
I think we have upgraded significantly and maybe most important and overlooked is that we have durable players with 5 year contracts. OT should not be an issue for some time.
Hopefully the revolving doors have stopped.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Remmers is not elite by any stretch, but Cam puts a lot of that on his line. When the vikings got him 8 times, a good number of those were on Newton. He also choked in the superbowl. Remmers looked terrible in that game, and was destroyed by Von Miller, but Newton was equally garbage.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins