Alshon Jeffery Denies Vikings, Signs with Eagles

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Alshon Jeffery Denies Vikings, Signs with Eagles

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Jordysghost wrote:Like really, in regards to the merits of your WR core, you call receiving yards "Unnessecary information".

This is incredible.
Because I was talking about DIGGS AND THIELEN. I've said we need depth at the position which in turn, could compile more yards, along with a back that can catch the ball. That boosts that stat considerably. I do not believe we need a guy that costs $15 mill a year with what we already have. You can get a much cheaper alternative.

I mean they were rumored to go after Jeffery and....Floyd. Those are two different ends of the spectrum. Floyd is a bum/#4 WR that would come cheap. Jeffery wouldnt. I would take Floyd on a cheap contract for depth. I wouldnt want Jeffery with that salary. I don't believe we need it. Whats so hard to figure out
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:
With Jeffrey, I think that may be a valid concern, but you cant just look at any guy who had an injury of some sort the prior season and write them off as injury prone.
He's been injured and nailed for PEDs. He gets hit again for PEDs and he could be out much longer. No less, he's been injured. Not worth $15 million IMO. Lacy has been benched 1 year and hurt the next. Similar situation. They aren't worth big contracts. I would take either one on cheaper contracts but not $15 million and if Lacy wanted a bigger deal
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: He's been injured and nailed for PEDs. He gets hit again for PEDs and he could be out much longer. No less, he's been injured. Not worth $15 million IMO. Lacy has been benched 1 year and hurt the next. Similar situation. They aren't worth big contracts. I would take either one on cheaper contracts but not $15 million and if Lacy wanted a bigger deal
Lacy wasn't truly benched, he just became Starks backup for a 4 game span, because for an earlier 4 game span he played alright, but Starks played fantastic with a 5.2 ypc.

You can sit here and try to use that as an indictment on him in lieu of actual statistics but it doesn't work because he ended .4 ypc behind AD. A year is judged on a full year, not a handful stretch of games. Starks would have put nearly any other RB on the sideline for that stretch where he earned the starting role.

Lacy's ankle is a valid concern and that is why he isn't already signed, if not for that I doubt the Packers let him hit free agency, its absolutely #### that we are letting a surefire top 10 RB hit FA, but that is today's NFL, RBs are often replaced.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: Lacy wasn't truly benched, he just became Starks backup for a 4 game span, because for an earlier 4 game span he played alright, but Starks played fantastic with a 5.2 ypc.

You can sit here and try to use that as an indictment on him in lieu of actual statistics but it doesn't work because he ended .4 ypc behind AD. A year is judged on a full year, not a handful stretch of games. Starks would have put nearly any other RB on the sideline for that stretch where he earned the starting role.

Lacy's ankle is a valid concern and that is why he isn't already signed, if not for that I doubt the Packers let him hit free agency, its absolutely #### that we are letting a surefire top 10 RB hit FA, but that is today's NFL, RBs are often replaced.
Bottom line was, he was benched. Going from a starter to a backup is being benched. No matter what way you look at it. But I'm not getting into Lacy anymore. Jeffery isn't worth 15 million IMO. Too much risk for my liking. Much rather go the depth route. We have big contracts coming up. No need to spend a lot of money on a position you're already good at. Provide depth in case of injury and fill other holes.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Bottom line was, he was benched. Going from a starter to a backup is being benched. No matter what way you look at it. But I'm not getting into Lacy anymore. Jeffery isn't worth 15 million IMO. Too much risk for my liking. Much rather go the depth route. We have big contracts coming up. No need to spend a lot of money on a position you're already good at. Provide depth in case of injury and fill other holes.
Yes, but it was due to another player playing fantastic, Starks outplayed nearly EVERY RB in the league for that dumb anomalic period of time, and Lacy took his job back in 4 weeks anyway. He wasn't benched our carry ratio was very close, Starks just went in first. Starks would have put about 90% of the NFLs rbs on the bench during that span of time, if not, then I'd like to hear why the guy he did momentarily displace finish with just .4 YPC behind the great AD who just had a good season?

But lets admit it, you have absolutely no statistics and nothing to even remotely discredit Lacy's on field production, so you are going to cling wildly to this and no matter how many times I point out that his season was just .4 ypc worse then ADs impressive season, you are going to cover your ears and say lalalalal, because that is what your narrative demands of you.

It doesn't make it any less non sensical, again, .4 ypc worse....

At any rate this is about the WRs and your assertion that your WRs are already good is, debatable to say the least. You had the 17th most receiving yards and no 1000 yard WRs, your third WR is leaving vie free agency, I don't think there are many people who agree you are already good at WR, I don't think your team even thinks that.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:\
Yes, but it was due to another player playing fantastic, Starks outplayed nearly EVERY RB in the league for that dumb anomalic period of time, and Lacy took his job back in 4 weeks anyway. He wasn't benched our carry ratio was very close, Starks just went in first. Starks would have put about 90% of the NFLs rbs on the bench during that span of time, if not, then I'd like to hear why the guy he did momentarily displace finish with just .4 YPC behind the great AD who just had a good season?

But lets admit it, you have absolutely no statistics and nothing to even remotely discredit Lacy's on field production, so you are going to cling wildly to this and no matter how many times I point out that his season was just .4 ypc worse then ADs impressive season, you are going to cover your ears and say lalalalal, because that is what your narrative demands of you.

It doesn't make it any less non sensical, again, .4 ypc worse....

At any rate this is about the WRs and your assertion that your WRs are already good is, debatable to say the least. You had the 17th most receiving yards and no 1000 yard WRs, your third WR is leaving vie free agency, I don't think there are many people who agree you are already good at WR, I don't think your team even thinks that.
Holy s### dude give up on Lacy. And like I said, we were 130 yards short between 2 guys of having 2 1,000 yard WRs. Thats good production no matter what way you look at it. And i don't know why you continue to mention the 17th in receiving aspect. That involves all positions that catch a ball. That stat means nothing. Especially when I'm referring to 2 WRs. The Lions were in a similar situation where Tate just broke 1000 yards and Jones had 930. But they had a guy like Theo Riddick that brought up that stat and they were ranked 12th. Boldin put up 580, not overly far away from Patterson. But you'll give them the credit because they were 12th and had a guy that had a 4 digit receiving number vs. a 3 digit?? Diggs wouldve easily been at 1000 given 3 more games. He wouldve had to average around 30 yards in 3 games to be below 1000. He was averaging 69 yards a game on the season. You're literally nitpicking over a few yards.

I said we need someone to fill Pattersons spot (could definitely be Treadwell) along with depth but we don't need a guy worth 15 million to do it. I simply feel that they thought they had a shot at him so why not try. If they were so desperate for a big name WR they wouldve made a much bigger push than they have. So no, I don't believe they feel its a necessity. Neither do I.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

VikingPaul73 wrote:I totally understand why AJ wouldn't come to the vikes. Why would an explosive big play deep threat come to a dink and dunk team with a 99% completion % as long as you get open within 3 yards and 0.3 seconds?????????

And why would the vikes want to sign AJ? I don't know but smart $$$ says internally they know Rick missed on yet another WR and they already know treadwell is a bust

Or maybe it's more like Johnson was moving on and they are letting Patterson go.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Doesn't surprise me at all, we hear about players taking less deals to play elsewhere for some reason, some are valid but I cant help to think most see us for the #### franchise we are and actually want a chance at a ring?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

allday1991 wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all, we hear about players taking less deals to play elsewhere for some reason, some are valid but I cant help to think most see us for the #### franchise we are and actually want a chance at a ring?
I doubt the Vikings offered him 15 mil a year, it was probably a little bit less then that , but a 3 year deal as opposed to a 1.

But even if they did offer him 15 mil a year, he signed with the Eagles so that he cash in on a good year and get the mega deal that pays him has a top 10 WR that he wasn't able to earn last year due to injury.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all, we hear about players taking less deals to play elsewhere for some reason, some are valid but I cant help to think most see us for the #### franchise we are and actually want a chance at a ring?
So Philly has a better shot at getting a ring than us?? They haven't been able to win in quite some time now had a worse record than we did, and had a rookie QB crap the bed after game 3. Not so sure what's so appealing there
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: So Philly has a better shot at getting a ring than us?? They haven't been able to win in quite some time now had a worse record than we did, and had a rookie QB crap the bed after game 3. Not so sure what's so appealing there
For a lot of people Philadelphia is probably a bit more culturally comfortable than Minnesota. I wouldn't want to live in Philadelphia, but to each their own.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: So Philly has a better shot at getting a ring than us?? They haven't been able to win in quite some time now had a worse record than we did, and had a rookie QB crap the bed after game 3. Not so sure what's so appealing there
They had one fewer win last season, with a first year head coach and a rookie QB. They just started a rebuild and went 7-9. We're at what should be the end of Spielman's rebuild and our offensive coordinator quit midseason. We went 8-8.

We also have the Eagle's ex-offensive coordinator, and ex-QB that we traded a 1st round pick for... :hitfan:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: They had one fewer win last season, with a first year head coach and a rookie QB. They just started a rebuild and went 7-9. We're at what should be the end of Spielman's rebuild and our offensive coordinator quit midseason. We went 8-8.

We also have the Eagle's ex-offensive coordinator, and ex-QB that we traded a 1st round pick for... :hitfan:
:roll: clearly not a bad move when he throws 20 tds and 5 picks and almost 4000 yards in 15 games.

And their "rebuild" wasn't nearly as significant as ours in 2012. They had a lot of significant pieces in place compared to us. We had no WRs, holes on the OL, an old DL, no LBs outside of Greenway and an awful secondary. QB was somewhat of a question mark at that time because Ponder was only going into his 2nd season
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I wasn't real high on Jeffery, he has missed a lot of playing time, in the few years.. In fact i think Marshall
from the Jets would have helped us more.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!