Vikings grades: Offensive Line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings grades: Offensive Line

Post by halfgiz »

I guess depending on who we go after will tell us how big our window is.
After 2 bad years my guess is, Fusco is gone. They are paying him to much, and I think we are better off just letting him go rather than trying to renegotiate with him.
So we need a LT, Guard and RT.
Would they move Berger to Guard while we groom someone we drafted?
Then that would leave use needing 2 tackles...
To have an affordable line we really need to start building in the draft. We need to use better picks the next couple years and hope we pick good players.

And I might agree with Jim on our 2nd round pick going towards Defense if we know Zimmer.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote:I guess depending on who we go after will tell us how big our window is.
After 2 bad years my guess is, Fusco is gone. They are paying him to much, and I think we are better off just letting him go rather than trying to renegotiate with him.
So we need a LT, Guard and RT.
Would they move Berger to Guard while we groom someone we drafted?
Then that would leave use needing 2 tackles...
To have an affordable line we really need to start building in the draft. We need to use better picks the next couple years and hope we pick good players.

And I might agree with Jim on our 2nd round pick going towards Defense if we know Zimmer.
I dont think they are going D in the 2nd at all. That's just simply going off of someone's past. I'm sure many would say he would go D last year in the first and never did. He isn't going to go defense just because he's a D guy. If there is a defensive player sitting there that is too good to pass up, then yeah. But if not, he's going offense IMO. He's expressed to the media that this is a really good defensive team and he has also mentioned the lack of production on offense. To me, that screams go OL or RB...your two biggest weaknesses this year. Not too hard to figure out.

As for our OL, I would have to imagine we would throw good money to one of the better G/T's on the market. I'm all for getting Wagner. Not sure if he walks or not. I think we should hold onto Kalil longer for depth/stop-gap reasons. This isn't an overly strong OL class but still a lot of solid players. We will get a better tell on what would happen via the draft when free agency is finally over.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

kinda sad that we are going to look for a RB....we just wasted a decade while having the best RB in the league. Imagine ADs career if he had a real OL and an average or better QB!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

chicagopurple wrote:kinda sad that we are going to look for a RB....we just wasted a decade while having the best RB in the league. Imagine ADs career if he had a real OL and an average or better QB!
Part of the problem was, AP couldn't adapt. Pretty sad that the best RB in the NFL couldnt figure out how to run out of shotgun. No less went to the media and complained about it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Part of the problem was, AP couldn't adapt. Pretty sad that the best RB in the NFL couldnt figure out how to run out of shotgun. No less went to the media and complained about it.

:wallbang:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
:wallbang:
.....and that means?
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:.....and that means?
An expression of deep aggravation.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Our offense was/is screwed up big time.
No line for Norv wanting to throw deep, a QB who didn't have Dre Bree's arm.
A running back that had trouble working from the shotgun and last...having zone scheme blockers and Tony is a Power scheme guy. Tony was more suited to Norv's style but our personal isn't.
Cluster :puke:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Not sure where to put this:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl- ... s-notebook
The class does have a glaring weakness. That weakness is along the offensive line. The tackle crop isn’t as strong as usual, the guard group is shallow, and good luck finding centers. Worse, the fear in the NFL is that it’s not only a bad year, but also a sign of things to come. “It’s a trend coming,” said our AFC exec, “because of the spread offense and all the rules on practicing.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

fiestavike wrote:Not sure where to put this:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl- ... s-notebook
It doesn't seem like a strong class. I cannot state that with certainty - I have not seen every eligible offensive line prospect take a collegiate snap.

I am sure this class will turn out a lot of back-up and below-average players. However, some will be Pro Bowlers, solid starters, and even a couple will probably be All-Pros. NFL coaching can go a long way. Also there are a lot intrinsic player factors that make NFL players so great.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Well we got our tackles Reiff & Remmers.

For comparison, from @PFF. In 2016: Reiff 67.5 Remmers 66.1 Clemmings 28.3 Kalil 36.9 Andre Smith 39.1 Jake Long 63.9 #Vikings
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:Well we got our tackles Reiff & Remmers.

For comparison, from @PFF. In 2016: Reiff 67.5 Remmers 66.1 Clemmings 28.3 Kalil 36.9 Andre Smith 39.1 Jake Long 63.9 #Vikings
Wow 28.3 :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Also add that Reiff and Remmers played out of position for 2016.
Reiff is a LT and graded out even higher as such. Remmers is a RT and graded even higher during the previous year too.

I am very pleased and now looking forward to the draft.
If we add more OL, then great. I am hoping for 2 solid OL in the draft. A OG like Feeney and a C like Elflein or Pocic
Right now as we stand:
LT - Reiff
LG - Boone
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / ???
RT - Remmers
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

IIsweet wrote:Also add that Reiff and Remmers played out of position for 2016.
Reiff is a LT and graded out even higher as such. Remmers is a RT and graded even higher during the previous year too.

I am very pleased and now looking forward to the draft.
If we add more OL, then great. I am hoping for 2 solid OL in the draft. A OG like Feeney and a C like Elflein or Pocic
Right now as we stand:
LT - Reiff
LG - Boone
C - Berger/Easton
RG - Sirles / Beavers / ???
RT - Remmers
I would love those picks of Feeney and Pocic/Elflein. We also need to draft a OT too at some point
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

True, but I wonder if Rashod Hill and Sirles are enough as backup OT ?
Still have Beavers as he was a rookie last year.
I am very pleased with the fact that we have our 2 OT signed for the next 5 years !

However, having watched Spielman draft for years now... I will be extremely surprised to see him select the best available OL. He will be looking at the best athlete as always.
I hope that a draft scenario with Feeney and Pocic is available and he addresses the OL.