2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Mothman wrote:
That sounds about right. The Vikes will probably draft him and he'll be making headlines for the wrong reasons before the end of his rookie contract. :(
It was 3 years ago when he was like 18 or 19. Hasn't done any wrong since. Seems to me he has learned from it by the way he speaks. I will support him if they draft him.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Norv Zimmer wrote: It was 3 years ago when he was like 18 or 19. Hasn't done any wrong since. Seems to me he has learned from it by the way he speaks. I will support him if they draft him.
This is a tough one for me. I can see your point about him being a kid and making a mistake, but at the same time, come on, hitting a woman. What type of mentality does it take for someone to do that? Upbringing, people he associates with all would play into it as well. There is just somethings that are hard to overlook. The Team has steered clear of these types of players in recent years (outside of AP). I would have to trust there process of investigation into him, I am sure it would be an extensive one given the investment not only in money, but bad PR just by drafting him......let alone if he had another incident. He's a top ten talent no doubt.....but is it worth the risk to the team? There will be backlash. Glad I am not the one making the decision. As a fan, he'd be fun to watch and has the potential to be a game changer for this offense. But if that were my daughter that he hit, the least of his worries would be getting drafted right now.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Here is the Rotoworld post:
Vikings GM Rick Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer both attended Oklahoma's Pro Day.
Dots are already being connected between the RB-needy team and Joe Mixon. Mixon was not invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis due to an NFL conduct policy that bars players with misdemeanor or felony convictions involving violence, sex crimes or weapon use from attending. Mixon was caught on tape punching a female student in the face in 2014. "It's real early," Mixon said. "At first I was off a lot of teams' boards. Now a lot (are) interested now. I can only hope, wish and pray for the best outcome in the situation. That's to be drafted." Mixon met with the Lions, Saints, Bengals and Browns the night before his Pro Day, reported NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Who punches a girl in the face? 19 is more then old enough to know you cant do that. Look at Ray Rice. I hope the team think long and hard of this, because the kid has a short fuse. Some of you act like staying out of trouble for a couple years is a lifetime.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Who punches a girl in the face? 19 is more then old enough to know you cant do that. Look at Ray Rice. I hope the team think long and hard of this, because the kid has a short fuse. Some of you act like staying out of trouble for a couple years is a lifetime.
Well said. His short fuse was still in evidence last year, although less dramatically:

Documents detail altercation between OU’s Joe Mixon and parking attendant

He was suspended for a game after that incident.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Who punches a girl in the face? 19 is more then old enough to know you cant do that. Look at Ray Rice. I hope the team think long and hard of this, because the kid has a short fuse. Some of you act like staying out of trouble for a couple years is a lifetime.
I don't see anyone on here acting like it's a lifetime
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Right! The last thing this team needs is a running back who goes overboard and hurts someone weaker than himself :whistle:
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Every single time its some on the surface "letter of the law" nonsense. The reports stated there was some kind of confrontation that a few people NOT those two started. The girl apparently got aggressive, called him a few slurs and thats when it happened. Now before you go blasting me for defending the guy or using some cliche "what if that was your mom" bs, think about all the dumb stuff you have done under the influence, or your tolerance for aggression while under the influence. Everyone is different. Everyone reacts different. I'd bet dollars to donuts that mixon wont pull anything like this anytime in the immediate future.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

It was a strange situation. The woman has a record...she kept egging Mixon on after their outside encounter with other OU team mates. He went back in the diner for a sandwich when she called him over and repeatedly used the "n" word...she was intoxicated and slugged him in the face when he instinctively walloped her. Big mistake no doubt. But I do wish the talking heads would stop referring to this as a "domestic" incident. They never met before that night.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Right! The last thing this team needs is a running back who goes overboard and hurts someone weaker than himself :whistle:
Can open, worms everywhere.

Way to go, Cliff!
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

Cliff wrote:Right! The last thing this team needs is a running back who goes overboard and hurts someone weaker than himself :whistle:
touche' :point:
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Well I for one would be fine with them drafting him. I think he is a good back. YouTube his 2016 highlight video, man he can catch! Also lots of snaps out of the shotgun, seems to fit.
teddiem
Practice Squad

Post by teddiem »

Was the day he turned 18, before classes started his freshman year. Kid made a terrible mistake, his actions prior to it weren't the best but his reaction was instinctual to getting slapped.

Pretty tough life lesson to learn but his teammates and coaching staff loved him during his time @ OU - id be ecstatic if we somehow ended up with him but unless we re trading up possibly to the end of round 1 I don't see a chance in hell we get him. He is as dynamic a receiver there is and perfect fit for modern offenses.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Update OP with Kalil signing.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Jeff Locke, P, Colts
Jeff Locke to the Colts. He will replace Pat McAfee as the team's punter
Mike Garafolo, NFLN
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.