Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by PurpleMustReign »

fiestavike wrote: That woud make sense. I still don't think its a foregone conclussion he plays at all this season, or ever again. If he does, probably with the vikings for 8 million or with another team making 4-6.
He will play for the Vikings for 6-8 million for two years. That is my guess.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There sure has been a lot of focus on this cherry-picked stat regarding Peterson's ypc average over his last 9 games. It's almost as if he wasn't playing behind a terrible o-line in an offense with a passing game that garnered little respect from defenses. Defenses during that stretch of games weren't very concerned about Bridgewater or Hill beating them and Peterson played what, about 2 quarters with Bradford? Put him behind good blocking and pair him with even an average passing game and I have little doubt he could be very productive. What teams should pay for that production is, of course, an entirely different matter but everyone (media included) who keeps pushing those stats should go back and watch how utterly ineffective the Vikings blocking was in most of those games, particularly games against Tennessee and Seattle.

As for whether Peterson will play again: it's basically up to him. It's a question of weighing his desire to play against how much he feels he must earn to make it worth doing. However, if he's willing to play, even at a low price, I don't think there's any reason to doubt there's a an NFL team that would sign him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:There sure has been a lot of focus on this cherry-picked stat regarding Peterson's ypc average over his last 9 games. It's almost as if he wasn't playing behind a terrible o-line in an offense with a passing game that garnered little respect from defenses. Defenses during that stretch of games weren't very concerned about Bridgewater or Hill beating them.
That may be, but you need to be cautious that you aren't cherry-picking those criteria as the cause for his poor production. Afterall, other than 2009 Peterson spent nearly his whole career behind bad OL play and accompanied by poor QB production. It undoubtedly hindered his production, but it didn't prevent him from having some fantastic performances even given those conditions. I don't think you are pointing to the correct factors to explain his declining production. For the record, I don't think age/injury fully explains that declining production either.
Mothman wrote:As for whether Peterson will play again: it's basically up to him. It's a question of weighing his desire to play against how much he feels he must earn to make it worth doing. However, if he's willing to play, even at a low price, I don't think there's any reason to doubt there's a an NFL team that would sign him.
[/quote][/quote]

I agree.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:That may be, but you need to be cautious that you aren't cherry-picking those criteria as the cause for his poor production.

That's not what I'm doing. The factors I mentioned were evident on film during most of that stretch, along with a few others which are also utterly ignored when we focus on a simplistic, cherry-picked 9 game stat (like injuries and the quality of some of those opposing run defenses).
Afterall, other than 2009 Peterson spent nearly his whole career behind bad OL play and accompanied by poor QB production. It undoubtedly hindered his production, but it didn't prevent him from having some fantastic performances even given those conditions. I don't think you are pointing to the correct factors to explain his declining production.
I'm not only pointing to two correct factors, I'm pointing to two obviously correct factors and I'm not going to waste my time arguing about them when they're so self-evident. I'm not saying they are the only factors but their impact has been obvious.

The 9 game sample size is clearly cherry-picked for effect. Why not go back 10? Because then the 2.9 yards per carry gets boosted up to a less damning 3.3 and you hit the end of a stretch in which Peterson rushed for over 100 yards in 4 of 5 games (and over 200 in one of them). That ruins all the fun.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

he is damaged ( in multiple ways), he is a liablility on your entire passing scheme, he is getting older, we have a weak OL that will expose his flaws, and he has a huge price tag.....now, remind me, WHY are we even worrying at all about the idea of retaining him??
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Hes a 32 year old back who is coming off his second season ending leg injury in 5 years and struggles to run from under center. If the name AP was not associated with him people here would struggle to validate spending TWO million a year on that, let alone three or four :confused:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Come to Jesus Adrian, take $5 million and a ring and come back :v):
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
I'm not only pointing to two correct factors, I'm pointing to two obviously correct factors and I'm not going to waste my time arguing about them when they're so self-evident. I'm not saying they are the only factors but their impact has been obvious.
I'm not sure if you missed my point or are merely trying to be difficult, but whatever.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

I know it's unclear but it's all I have left. :tongue:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

@Mothman is under concussion protocol. His return to thread is listed as doubtful. #Vikings
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:
SHAKE IT OFF @MOTHMAN!! It's just a flesh wound!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... messy-one/

Not a huge Zulgad fan......but I agree with him completely on this one.

Please close the book on this "Bonehead" already!!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I've passed the concussion protocol and the docs say I can now post links and quotes in this thread but should avoid too much commentary. ;)

Adrian Peterson, in free agency for first time, faces a new world
Peterson has said that he enjoys proving people wrong, and there's little doubt that he'll relish the opportunity to do so again. He's said to be in no rush to sign with a team, and it's possible he'll take free-agent visits to acclimate himself with other organizations; those teams might have interest in letting their medical staffs assess Peterson in person.

However the next few days or weeks play out for the running back, he'll likely view it as the opening act of his next grand comeback narrative. Perhaps he'll make good on the chance. It just remains to be seen how, where and for how much money he'll get the opportunity.