Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I still contend he will get more money here than anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Right I just hope we aren't dumb enough to give it to him. Time to move on. There is no better time to need a RB than right now. We're in a good position when it comes to that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

5thWave wrote:I say get the best bargain in the draft: Joe Mixon. Extraordinary talent both running and receiving...made for the shotgun offense.

Granted his ONLY black mark is the incident three years ago in Norman. Temper that with the fact he's a good student from a very good family. And what would you do if a woman started popping you in the face with her fists...flame away.
I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. Just wondering what it would draw back to us media wise because of what happened with AP and his kid.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:Why would this team want an old one dimensional back at all? Should have traded him years ago when he had actual value. :wallbang:
The past few mocks I've had over the years had us trading him. It's a tough call. Who knows what we wouldve gotten for him.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote:Why would this team want an old one dimensional back at all? Should have traded him years ago when he had actual value. :wallbang:
Extend that a bit farther - why would any team want to pay much for AD at this point? In his limited action last year he didn't look all that great. He seemed a bit tentative and didn't have much of a burst and, IIRC, in the two games he started the season he had some of the lowest yardage totals of his career. He's missed more time the last three seasons than he's played due to injuries.

It will be interesting to see if some team is willing to pay him in FA, but I wouldn't be surprised to see little interest in AD at this point. He's just not been all that productive recently and the data suggests he'll never be close to what he was at his peak.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am ready to move on from him in any way.

He was a great player but I think his Bs and
age make him a thing of the past.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Dear Jerry Jones,

Please sign Adrian Peterson to play on your team.

Signed; Vikings fans who want good value from The running back position.

:deadhorse:
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Hopefully they can find a Micheal Westbrook / Darren Sproles / Ray Rice type player.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mansquatch wrote:Hopefully they can find a Micheal Westbrook / Darren Sproles / Ray Rice type player.
Pumphrey from San Diego St.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Pumphrey from San Diego St.
The guy put up 5 reps on the bench. That's a little scary. I'd much rather grab a guy like Kareem Hunt. McKinnon isn't a between the tackles guy but explosive in the open field. I like our 3rd down RB situation with him. We just need a workhorse. Perine and Hunt both fit that mold. Not opposed to Kamara, Gallman or Foreman either.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: The guy put up 5 reps on the bench. That's a little scary. I'd much rather grab a guy like Kareem Hunt. McKinnon isn't a between the tackles guy but explosive in the open field. I like our 3rd down RB situation with him. We just need a workhorse. Perine and Hunt both fit that mold. Not opposed to Kamara, Gallman or Foreman either.
His size and strength will tank his stock but his tape doesn't lie. He could be a slot/RB type very much like Sproles and will probably be around in the 5th. Perine is going to go earlier than most people think. Foreman would make a good workhorse and compliment to McKinnon. He may slip to the 4th or so.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: His size and strength will tank his stock but his tape doesn't lie. He could be a slot/RB type very much like Sproles and will probably be around in the 5th. Perine is going to go earlier than most people think. Foreman would make a good workhorse and compliment to McKinnon. He may slip to the 4th or so.
Right but Pumphrey isn't what we need. It's just another McKinnon type back. Ideally, we need a workhorse, McKinnon, and a potential workhorse/fill in as our top 3 backs IMO. So if the workhorse goes down, that #3 fills in and we aren't stuck with McKinnon trying to take on the load. McKinnon is strictly a 3rd down guy, elusive, catches well, etc. We need to find one very good back that can carry the load and one with potential. Pumphrey lit it up at SDSU but I can't see a 5'9 back being a workhorse. Could be wrong but I just don't see it. McCaffery was a beast but I see him as another Danny Woodhead. We need a guy that can sustain all the shots, has power and can grind all game. I mean McKinnon has ridiculous strength for a smaller guy. Pumphrey has none. And McKinnon proved he can't carry a load. Not sure why anyone thinks Pumphrey could when he doesnt have the upper body to sustain it. McKinnon does and still couldn't pull it off.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I heard 'rumors' that AD could fall to the 10 million dollar mark. This was just a word of mouth and probably just someones idea of not letting AD go, but would AD be worth it to us for 10 mil? I think AD is thinking of maybe knocking off a million or 2, not 8. Sad thing is, I dont know if I'd even want him for 8.
Fall to $10 million?

If he gets half that, somebody will have overpaid.

Right now, only 8 backs in the NFL are due to make $5 million. With AP averaging 2.9 YPC over his last 9 games played, I just don't see anything but a desperate GM paying him Top-8 money.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fall to $10 million?

If he gets half that, somebody will have overpaid.

Right now, only 8 backs in the NFL are due to make $5 million. With AP averaging 2.9 YPC over his last 9 games played, I just don't see anything but a desperate GM paying him Top-8 money.
I could see it if there is no commitment past this season. He could be worth a gamble for a team with the cap room and a good backup plan.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PFT's Mike Florio reports that free agents Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles aren't generating much interest from teams at the Combine.

Per Florio, Peterson is having conversations with teams, but the money he's looking for may not be there. Charles, on the other hand, hasn't been linked to any teams. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and coming off significant knee operations. While Le'Veon Bell is sitting pretty on the franchise tag at $12 million as the league's highest-paid running back, Peterson and Charles may struggle to even get $4-6 million per year. Florio suggests Peterson could play it smart and sit out into the summer so he doesn't have to go through the grind of OTAs and camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n/related/
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:PFT's Mike Florio reports that free agents Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles aren't generating much interest from teams at the Combine.

Per Florio, Peterson is having conversations with teams, but the money he's looking for may not be there. Charles, on the other hand, hasn't been linked to any teams. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and coming off significant knee operations. While Le'Veon Bell is sitting pretty on the franchise tag at $12 million as the league's highest-paid running back, Peterson and Charles may struggle to even get $4-6 million per year. Florio suggests Peterson could play it smart and sit out into the summer so he doesn't have to go through the grind of OTAs and camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n/related/
That woud make sense. I still don't think its a foregone conclussion he plays at all this season, or ever again. If he does, probably with the vikings for 8 million or with another team making 4-6.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins