Michael Vick says Vikings dropped ball not signing him

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Michael Vick says Vikings dropped ball not signing him

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: I don't think you got my point. I'm not blaming Sam Bradford for anything. I'm saying they gave up a 1st for him and it amounted to an 8-8 season. They could not have SB now for probably a 4th-5th as the eagles are trying to slough off salary.

It was a terrible investment.
Disagree with the investment part.

There is a very strong probability that Kirk Cousins isn't going to be available, let alone that the Vikings would have been able to win a bidding war for the guy. As for Garoppolo, the Vikings have no trade assets that would be valuable enough to obtain him in a trade. And even if they did, Bill Belichick would likely fleece the Vikings, anyway.

I look at it this way. The Vikings traded this year's first-round pick for Sam Bradford. There is no quarterback in the draft this year who is worth close to that, and any quarterback they would draft would be 2-3 years from contributing, if ever. The Vikings got experienced, first-round talent in Sam Bradford for a first and a fourth. I'll take that investment.

As for Michael Vick ... the guy needs to just shut up and be retired.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I look at it this way.....can't blame the 8-8 season on SB. On those 2-4 games that we should have/possibly could have won does the blame fall clearly on SB? I don't think so. I would rather go into this offseason with only one large missing piece of the puzzle (the OL) rather than 2 (OL and QB). One has to remember that we were 5-0 at one point and the sky was the limit....not SB.
I don't think you got my point. I'm not blaming Sam Bradford for anything. I'm saying they gave up a 1st for him and it amounted to an 8-8 season. They could not have SB now for probably a 4th-5th as the eagles are trying to slough off salary.

It was a terrible investment.[/quote]
Disagree with the investment part.

There is a very strong probability that Kirk Cousins isn't going to be available, let alone that the Vikings would have been able to win a bidding war for the guy. As for Garoppolo, the Vikings have no trade assets that would be valuable enough to obtain him in a trade. And even if they did, Bill Belichick would likely fleece the Vikings, anyway.

I look at it this way. The Vikings traded this year's first-round pick for Sam Bradford. There is no quarterback in the draft this year who is worth close to that, and any quarterback they would draft would be 2-3 years from contributing, if ever. The Vikings got experienced, first-round talent in Sam Bradford for a first and a fourth. I'll take that investment.

Agree......and if they were not able to attain a quality QB for 2017 then we would be pissing away 2 seasons. Simply do not agree with fiesta.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

autobon7 wrote:I look at it this way. The Vikings traded this year's first-round pick for Sam Bradford. There is no quarterback in the draft this year who is worth close to that, and any quarterback they would draft would be 2-3 years from contributing, if ever. The Vikings got experienced, first-round talent in Sam Bradford for a first and a fourth. I'll take that investment.
That's how I see it too. Picking a starting caliber QB in the draft is incredibly difficult. Just look at who gets drafted at QB recently in the 1st round:

2015 1st overall - Jameis Winston (hit)
2015 2nd overall - Marcus Mariota (hit)
2014 3rd overall - Blake Bortles (miss)
2014 22nd overall - Johnny Manziel (miss)
2014 32nd overall - Teddy Bridgwater (???)
2013 16th overall - EJ Manuel (miss)
2012 1st overall - Andrew Luck (hit)
2012 2nd overall - RG3 (???)
2012 8th overall - Ryan Tannehill (???)
2012 22nd overall - Brandon Weeden (miss)
2011 1st overall - Cam Newton (hit)
2011 8th overall - Jake Locker (miss)
2011 10th overall - Blaine Gabbert (miss)
2011 12th overall - Christian Ponder (miss)

4 hits, 7 misses, and three question marks

Vikings whiffed three times - Bridgewater, Ponder, TJack. As I see it now, Bradford has the ability to be the long-term starter at QB for this team.

Vikings QB draft history:
2014 Rd 1 pick 32 Teddy Bridgewater
2011 Rd 1 pick 12 Christian Ponder
2010 Rd 6 pick 199 Joe Webb
2008 Rd 5 pick 137 John David Booty
2007 Rd 7 pick 217 Tyler Thigpen
2006 Rd 2 pick 64 Tavaris Jackson
1999 Rd 1 pick 11 Daunte Culpepper
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think RG3 can be put in the miss category. Even if he somehow turns it around, the amount the skins gave up for him was a massive miss.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Vick would have quarterbacked us to a 28 - 3 Super Bowl lead, where we would have blown it in the final 8 minutes of the game. :wink:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.