Trade Sharif Floyd?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Trade Sharif Floyd?

Post by fiestavike »

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/2/27/ ... rrif-floyd
The Redskins and Raiders both need immediate help for their defenses as they try to help out their high-powered offenses. Both made aggressive moves in free agency last offseason. An NFL team's analytics director thought Seattle also could make sense for Floyd, who was chosen 23rd overall in 2013. The Seahawks do own three third-round picks, giving them ample ammo, but they also have other needs and lots of money already invested in their defensive core.
Floyd is going into the option year of his rookie contract, and is scheduled to make $6.75 million this coming season. Nobody really knows what happened with Floyd last season. He played in the season-opening victory over the Tennessee Titans, had what was called a routine knee scope. . .and then proceeded to be inactive for the next twelve games before the team (finally) placed him on injured reserve in mid-December.
What do you all think?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Trade Sharif Floyd?

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I would.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I don't think we would get much for him but I would trade him anyway. Good riddance.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I'd be shocked if we could get anything above a late late 3rd for him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Doesn't sound like anybody would miss Sharif. There have been times I've been really excited about him, but he always seems to drift back from those high points and play very unispired for stretches. Add the nagging injuries and he'll be a tricky player to figure in free agency.

Would you all favor cutting him outright for the cap savings if he can't be traded?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

If we was going to trade someone my thoughts would be .
Floyd , Griffin or Rudolph.

I would think that Shurmur could come up with a tight end somewhere.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

My thing with Floyd, and I've said this before, is that he's good when healthy. Rudy was the same way and guys wanted to give up on him but you never hear anything like that now. I don't think we should trade him to be honest. He's the type of guy that could make an impact for another team if were to let him go. I say we hold onto him another year. And draft someone in the middle rounds to put behind him or sign a guy for insurance.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think he was over rated, even when healthy. He was playing to literally one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Joseph demanded so much attention sometimes Floyd looked better then he was. I wouldnt miss him. Means we need another DT though.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This was to be his breakout season IMO, but the knee injury derailed him. It might be premature to move him. Also, if he underperforms this season they can get a quality rotational player who knows the system for relatively cheap, freeing up funds to pay other players on the defense.

There are several FA DL available in the market this year, but I suspect the Vikings have bigger needs on Offense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:My thing with Floyd, and I've said this before, is that he's good when healthy. Rudy was the same way and guys wanted to give up on him but you never hear anything like that now. I don't think we should trade him to be honest. He's the type of guy that could make an impact for another team if were to let him go. I say we hold onto him another year. And draft someone in the middle rounds to put behind him or sign a guy for insurance.
I agree. Floyd is a good DT when healthy. I say give him another year.

He also can help stop the run, which this D needs to do better.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/2/27/ ... rrif-floyd
What do you all think?

I think my answer depends on the answer to the question implied above: why did Floyd miss nearly all of last season?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I think he was over rated, even when healthy. He was playing to literally one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Joseph demanded so much attention sometimes Floyd looked better then he was. I wouldnt miss him. Means we need another DT though.
76 tackles, 7 sacks, 6 stuffs in the last 2 seasons he played. Doesnt sound very overrated if you ask me. I dont care who was next to him. No less Floyd had to play out of position last year for how many games because Joseph was hurt? Like I said, he is very similar to Rudy. When healthy he's an impact player. He's still on his rookie contract so I think it's pointless to let him go right now. Give him at least another year. No need to create another hole. Just put depth behind him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

fiestavike wrote:Doesn't sound like anybody would miss Sharif. There have been times I've been really excited about him, but he always seems to drift back from those high points and play very unispired for stretches. Add the nagging injuries and he'll be a tricky player to figure in free agency.

Would you all favor cutting him outright for the cap savings if he can't be traded?
Personally I would cut him if we couldn't find a trade partner. Would like to see more of Stephen anyway.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
I think my answer depends on the answer to the question implied above: why did Floyd miss nearly all of last season?
Exactly, and judging by Zimmer's explicitly stated frustration... there's likely an issue there.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@mattvensel
As a deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking around in 2017. strib.mn/2lcpq0S
6:49 AM - 1 Mar 2017
As deadline nears, it looks like Sharrif Floyd will be sticking with Vikings
According to a league source, if Floyd can’t pass a physical by March 9, then his contract's injury guarantee comes into play, locking him in at $6.8 million for 2017.
Star Tribune @StarTribune