2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... f8e10985e6

This just came out today. It's Spielman's pre-FA/draft interview. By the sounds of it, they are going to let AP walk. And if you notice towards the end, he really stresses looking to improve the offense. And said something along the lines of "sprinkling defensive players in here and there". The good thing is, they seem well aware of whats going on. This is a reason I didnt understand why guys tried to claim this would just be another defensive heavy draft as well. They know what they need to do and Spielman isn't one to reveal much in these types of interviews but he did make it clear as day that the focal point is improving the offense this season.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: McDonald was just franchise tagged. No Ricky Wagner??
Ah, sure. Wagner can slide in at 10 if McDonald is off the market. I just see him getting overpaid, but honestly this whole list is contingent on being able to acquire these guys for less than top dollar. They could easily price themselves right off my list (and they probably will).

I really like Reilly Rieff as a guy who can provide solid tackle play and L/R versatility. He isn't elite and if he can be paid like he isn't elite I think he could provide a longterm solution at one tackle position.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I have no interest in Jeffery at all. We don't need another WR. Even if CP walks it opens doors for Treadwell. We can find a much cheaper option and use them as a #4
On the same page with ya PHP....just say no to Jeffery.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports there is "no shortage of teams inquiring about" free agent LT Russell Okung.
La Canfora reports the Giants, Jets, Vikings, and Chargers have shown interest. The Chargers' interest could indicate they are moving on from King Dunlap, who has struggled to stay on the field and was recently arrested. With weak offensive tackle classes both in free agency and the draft, Okung should be able to better the essentially one-year, $8-million deal he played on in 2016.
...via Rotoworld
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings show interest in Okung

Post by Maelstrom88 »

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/2/27/ ... sell-okung

I must confess my AFC team is the Broncos so I watched him last year. They didn't have a good guard next to him which hurt but he was serviceable. I certainly wouldn't want the Vikings to break the bank for him but they are desperate, don't have a first round pick, and the draft is thin along the oline so they probably are going to have to overpay for someone.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Looking for at least a starting OT and a starting OG.
I am hoping for an OL consisting of at least 3 new starters. Boone remaining and either Berger or Easton or maybe Sirles at RT.
There are 2 really good Centers in the draft in Elflein and Pocic. They should each be available at our 2nd rd pick.
Add 2 FA starters and we have a new OL.
I think that the idea that if you build the OL, you can run and throw the ball successfully has finally grabbed Spielman's attention. When AD was younger and healthy, we just needed bodies.
New game, new offensive philosophy, new direction.
Hopefully we can add a LT in Okung, RT in Wagner, a OG in Zeitler, and add some quality players around the field.
I would also use our surplus $$$ this year to extend Bradford and Rhodes with bonuses up front.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IIsweet wrote:When AD was younger and healthy, we just needed bodies.
Ugh, its painful to me to think of how they wasted ADs career with subpar offensive line play. Imagine what he could have done with the guys Robert Smith played with!
Hopefully we can add a LT in Okung, RT in Wagner, a OG in Zeitler, and add some quality players around the field.
I would also use our surplus $$$ this year to extend Bradford and Rhodes with bonuses up front.
If they sign all those guys, there won't be much surplus money left. I hope Bradfors is willing to take a pay cut if the plan is to sign him longterm.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:My Free Agency Top 10 Wish List

1. Reilly Reiff, T, DET, 28
2. Jonathan Hankins, DT, NYG, 24
3. Tony Jefferson, S, ARI, 25
4. Zach Brown, LB, BUF, 27
5. Larry Warford, G, DET, 25
6.TJ McDonald, S, LAR, 26
7. Micah Hyde, DB, GB, 26
8.Chance Warmack, G, TEN, 25
9.Kelvin Beachum, T, JAX, 27
10.Ronald Leary, G, DAL, 27
Also kind of curious with Reiff being so high on your list. He's been about as inconsistent as Matt Kalil since entering the league.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Also kind of curious with Reiff being so high on your list. He's been about as inconsistent as Matt Kalil since entering the league.
As I wrote above, he's a solid, not elite player, with some L/R versatility. If he's priced like he's elite, I don't want him but if they can get him for less, he's a Joe Berger type. He can hold the space for a number of years while the Vikings build that position.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: As I wrote above, he's a solid, not elite player, with some L/R versatility. If he's priced like he's elite, I don't want him but if they can get him for less, he's a Joe Berger type. He can hold the space for a number of years while the Vikings build that position.
Joe Berger has been consistent for the past few years. Reiff has been extremely inconsistent and has been very average at best. I dont mind the guy. But I prefer Wagner over him. Reiff could potentially take LT money and a team could end up overpaying him. With Wagner, he's strictly a RT so that's why I dont think his price tag will be as high as some think
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Joe Berger has been consistent for the past few years. Reiff has been extremely inconsistent and has been very average at best. I dont mind the guy. But I prefer Wagner over him. Reiff could potentially take LT money and a team could end up overpaying him. With Wagner, he's strictly a RT so that's why I dont think his price tag will be as high as some think
You could be right. Price is a big factor for me. If Wagner is cheap, that's fine. What kind of salary do you think the top OL are going to command this offseason? Who do you think we can get for 5-6 million a year on a functional 2 year deal? Something similar to Boone's deal?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

They are estimating Reiff going for 5.3 on a 4 year deal.

Kevin Zeitler 11.6 mil 5 year deal.

Larry Warford 6.2 mil 5 year deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:They are estimating Reiff going for 5.3 on a 4 year deal.

Kevin Zeitler 11.6 mil 5 year deal.

Larry Warford 6.2 mil 5 year deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/
Thanks. I'd be pretty happy to add Reiff and Warford for those prices, those are the types of numbers that I was hoping for, and landed them on my list. That would allow them to add a DT, LB, or S too. I would still draft 3 to 4 offensive linemen unless it becomes a terrible reach to do so.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, the Vikings have been "showing a good deal of interest" in free agent Latavius Murray.
Per Pauline's sources, this was even before the Vikings announced they wouldn't be exercising Adrian Peterson's option, which was declined on Tuesday. Murray is fully expected to test the open market and would be a much younger and cheaper option than Peterson. However, Murray wasn't all that impressive in 2016, averaging 4.0 YPC for the second season in a row and had his carries dialed back significantly. The Raiders had seemingly been trying to replace Murray for two years. And he got to run behind one of the league's best offensive lines. Murray turned 27 last month and probably won't cost more than $4-6 million annually.
via Rotoworld

Not sure if I'm big on this. I've always been a fan of him because I played against him in high school. However, if we were to sign him, I still think we should draft a RB.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: via Rotoworld

Not sure if I'm big on this. I've always been a fan of him because I played against him in high school. However, if we were to sign him, I still think we should draft a RB.
Add me to the list of those wanting to draft a runningback. I'm always in favor of drafting one and letting them walk at the end of their rookie deal.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.