Shurmur: Offseason will be critical for Laquon Treadwell

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Shurmur: Offseason will be critical for Laquon Treadwell

Post by S197 »

Patterson's value at the gunner position is a good point and one I hadn't considered. It will be interesting to see if they can retain him and Thielen. I haven't been a big fan of Wright for a while now so for me personally I don't mind if he moves on.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:Patterson's value at the gunner position is a good point and one I hadn't considered. It will be interesting to see if they can retain him and Thielen. I haven't been a big fan of Wright for a while now so for me personally I don't mind if he moves on.
Patterson and Sherels, and Thielen if they keep him on STs, help form one of the best groups of kick/punt coverage teams that I have seen in a long time. Plus, all three can return kicks if needed.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Patterson and Sherels, and Thielen if they keep him on STs, help form one of the best groups of kick/punt coverage teams that I have seen in a long time. Plus, all three can return kicks if needed.
I agree. I think the Vikings return game is as good as it gets in the NFL right now. I don't want to see it get lost in the shuffle.

When one considers Patterson as a gunner and returner, his value goes up. He may not be a top receiver but he's a solid #3 or #4 guy, especially after the catch, plus he can run the ball out of the backfield.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Patterson and Sherels, and Thielen if they keep him on STs, help form one of the best groups of kick/punt coverage teams that I have seen in a long time. Plus, all three can return kicks if needed.
Lets just not allow Thielen to return any more punts :shock:

I think they should try McKinnon back there if Sherels ever gets hurt. He's got pretty reliable hands and is explosive
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Lets just not allow Thielen to return any more punts :shock:

I think they should try McKinnon back there if Sherels ever gets hurt. He's got pretty reliable hands and is explosive
Has Patterson ever returned punts?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Has Patterson ever returned punts?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Not in the NFL but I'm sure he could
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

losperros wrote:
I agree. I think the Vikings return game is as good as it gets in the NFL right now. I don't want to see it get lost in the shuffle.

When one considers Patterson as a gunner and returner, his value goes up. He may not be a top receiver but he's a solid #3 or #4 guy, especially after the catch, plus he can run the ball out of the backfield.
The problem is, its just not that big a part of the game today, and there is a good likelihood that there won't even be any kicks to return before Patterson's next contract is up.

I think any contract you negotiate with Patterson has to assume that the kick return will be eliminated from the NFL, and therefore you pay him as a WR only. How much is a 3/4 WR worth? Probably not more than a couple million to most teams.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

The night he was drafted, something in his Body Language told me he was not happy being drafted to the Vikings. So his performance last year didn't surprise me. If he starts slow, expect him to be gone asap. (70% sure this was a wasted #1 pick
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Laserman wrote:The night he was drafted, something in his Body Language told me he was not happy being drafted to the Vikings. So his performance last year didn't surprise me. If he starts slow, expect him to be gone asap. (70% sure this was a wasted #1 pick
And you're basing that 70% partly on body language?? I'm not buying that. If he starts slow they aren't just going to let a guy go midway into his second year. I'm not sure how anyone can say he's a wasted pick with the limited time he got and guys like Thielen and CP coming out of nowhere. You have to understand that when we drafted him we had NOTHING outside of Diggs. Thielen blew up and Patterson was much more involved. That's ultimately going to result in a rookie not getting as much time. Simple as that.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And you're basing that 70% partly on body language?? I'm not buying that. If he starts slow they aren't just going to let a guy go midway into his second year. I'm not sure how anyone can say he's a wasted pick with the limited time he got and guys like Thielen and CP coming out of nowhere. You have to understand that when we drafted him we had NOTHING outside of Diggs. Thielen blew up and Patterson was much more involved. That's ultimately going to result in a rookie not getting as much time. Simple as that.
In the same interview where CJ indicated Patterson was a goof early in his career, Munnerlyn indicated that Treadwell lost some confidence and has a lot of tells in his route running. He also indicated that Mack Alexander has too much confidence.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: In the same interview where CJ indicated Patterson was a goof early in his career, Munnerlyn indicated that Treadwell lost some confidence and has a lot of tells in his route running. He also indicated that Mack Alexander has too much confidence.
So what are you implying?
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Shurmur coached offenses seem much more wide receiver friendly. They are fairly simple offensive schemes to learn, and run.
Turner's was the opposite, very complex and detail oriented. That's why I think Treadwell, and Patterson had so much trouble with the offense.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: So what are you implying?
Nothing, just take the comments for what they are worth. I thought they added something to the discussion.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

fiestavike wrote:The problem is, its just not that big a part of the game today, and there is a good likelihood that there won't even be any kicks to return before Patterson's next contract is up.

I think any contract you negotiate with Patterson has to assume that the kick return will be eliminated from the NFL, and therefore you pay him as a WR only. How much is a 3/4 WR worth? Probably not more than a couple million to most teams.
Why is the NFL eliminating kick returns? Are they just making things harder for returners? It didn't affect CP last year. Or is the NFL actually doing away with kick returns? Should the NFL continue with kick offs, Patterson is the best returner in the business. And I think the Vikings should be interested in retaining an All-Pro returner.

Just my two cents but I think special teams are a big part of every game.

I don't know how much a 3/4 WR is worth, particularly if he's a good punt gunner (the NFL will be still be punting, right?), is a threat after the catch, and can run effectively out of the backfield.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote: Why is the NFL eliminating kick returns? Are they just making things harder for returners? It didn't affect CP last year. Or is the NFL actually doing away with kick returns? Should the NFL continue with kick offs, Patterson is the best returner in the business. And I think the Vikings should be interested in retaining an All-Pro returner.

Just my two cents but I think special teams are a big part of every game.

I don't know how much a 3/4 WR is worth, particularly if he's a good punt gunner (the NFL will be still be punting, right?), is a threat after the catch, and can run effectively out of the backfield.
CP is a tricky one. In a way I want us to let him go because that gives Treadwell the green light to probably take the other outside spot opposite Thielen and have Diggs run slot. However, I want to keep him because he's probably one of the most dangerous, if not most dangerous players with the ball in his hands in the entire NFL.
-Chazz Palminteri