2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We should have Whitehair now instead of Alexander but nooooooooo, who needs linemen.
It's easy to say that now. However, what if Munnerlyn walked in FA? Do you have a plan at nickel CB?? My guess is....no. So that argument can go both ways
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: It's easy to say that now.

It was easy to say that before, during and after the draft too.
However, what if Munnerlyn walked in FA? Do you have a plan at nickel CB?? My guess is....no. So that argument can go both ways
It goes a LOT deeper one way. The OL is a shambles and there's simply no excuse for the pathetic, halfhearted effort they made to address it in the 2016 draft.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
It goes a LOT deeper one way. The OL is a shambles and there's simply no excuse for the pathetic, halfhearted effort they made to address it in the 2016 draft.
Never said there was an excuse. But we could have easily went another avenue than a second round pick to take an OL. Alexander was a BPA type pick that filled a big need if Munnerlyn decided to walk
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Never said there was an excuse. But we could have easily went another avenue than a second round pick to take an OL. Alexander was a BPA type pick that filled a big need if Munnerlyn decided to walk
The same could have been said about Whitehair who would have addressed the area of the team most in need of improvement: the line. Alexander was an indulgence. Most picks can be justified but justifications like the one above are how we got here. Spielman's spent years making "BPA" picks and neglecting to adequately improve the line.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: The same could have been said about Whitehair who would have addressed the area of the team most in need of improvement: the line. Alexander was an indulgence. Most picks can be justified but justifications like the one above are how we got here. Spielman's spent years making "BPA" picks and neglecting to adequately improve the line.
I get what you're saying. But at the same time, they could've simply been higher on Alexander which is what it looks like. We can sit here and pick apart draft picks all day but we would go nowhere with it.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I get what you're saying. But at the same time, they could've simply been higher on Alexander which is what it looks like. We can sit here and pick apart draft picks all day but we would go nowhere with it.
It quite clearly leads somewhere: over the years, neglecting the offensive line in favor of "BPA" picks like Alexander has gradually led to a mess. Taking a "best player available" sounds great in the abstract but in reality, teams have to consider their needs and weaknesses and when they repeatedly fail to adequately address them, it can catch up to them with a vengeance. Passing over Whitehair for Alexander is a fine illustration of the consequences of that neglect.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: It quite clearly leads somewhere: over the years, neglecting the offensive line in favor of "BPA" picks like Alexander has gradually led to a mess. Taking a "best player available" sounds great in the abstract but in reality, teams have to consider their needs and weaknesses and when they repeatedly fail to adequately address them, it can catch up to them with a vengeance. Passing over Whitehair for Alexander is a fine illustration of the consequences of that neglect.
I think BPA is more useful for truly rebuilding teams like Cleveland and Chicago. When you are supposedly close to contending like what the Vikings claim to be, you need to go more specific on your picks. Thats how i look at BPA anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I think BPA is more useful for truly rebuilding teams like Cleveland and Chicago. When you are supposedly close to contending like what the Vikings claim to be, you need to go more specific on your picks. Thats how i look at BPA anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
If you had a numeric system, the reality is that you are seldom going to be looking at a player who ranks 8.6 while the next one down on your list is 5.9. You've probably got a cluster of players at 8.6, and a cluster at 8.5, etc. Need and position scarcity have to be factored in as well.

But if you have a guy you gave an 8.6 to that slid way down to where your next guy is a 7.9, I think there is a real case to go BPA, even if he plays a position you don't "need" at the moment.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
If you had a numeric system, the reality is that you are seldom going to be looking at a player who ranks 8.6 while the next one down on your list is 5.9. You've probably got a cluster of players at 8.6, and a cluster at 8.5, etc. Need and position scarcity have to be factored in as well.

But if you have a guy you gave an 8.6 to that slid way down to where your next guy is a 7.9, I think there is a real case to go BPA, even if he plays a position you don't "need" at the moment.

Very true that's a good point. Like I said, Alexander was a projected first rounder in many draft nik circles. I'm guessing we had him ranked quite high. Probably much higher than Whitehair since we passed on him.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

How is Whitehair doing anyway?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Very true that's a good point. Like I said, Alexander was a projected first rounder in many draft nik circles. I'm guessing we had him ranked quite high. Probably much higher than Whitehair since we passed on him.
Forget it, I am an idiot...
Last edited by PurpleMustReign on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:How is Whitehair doing anyway?
Due to an injury, the Bears asked him to start at center last season and he performed very well. He had a strong rookie year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Due to an injury, the Bears asked him to start at center last season and he performed very well. He had a strong rookie year.
Not bad for an old whitehair anyway.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://nfltraderumors.co/dolphins-49ers ... -williams/

Interested in K'Wuan Williams - reportedly.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Not bad for an old whitehair anyway.
:lol: