O-line changes have begun -- Vikes release Fusco, Harris

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

O-line changes have begun -- Vikes release Fusco, Harris

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Posted February 10.
Vikings.com wrote:EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — The Vikings on Friday announced the release of offensive linemen Brandon Fusco and Mike Harris.
After missing all but three games in 2014, Fusco started all 16 games at left guard in 2015. He moved back to right guard in 2016, when he made 13 starts.
[Harris] started all 16 games at right guard in 2015, but missed all of 2016 because of a non-football illness. Harris totaled 21 starts in 28 regular-season games in Minnesota.
We'll see where this all leads.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: O-line changes have begun -- Vikes release Fusco, Harris

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Fusco - good riddance

Harris - I feel bad for the guy, hope he's OK
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

This leads me to believe they are either going to push sirles inside or strongly pursue one of the free agent guards.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

MrPurplenGold wrote:This leads me to believe they are either going to push sirles inside or strongly pursue one of the free agent guards.
My guess? The latter as PLAN A and the former as PLAN B.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

MrPurplenGold wrote:This leads me to believe they are either going to push sirles inside or strongly pursue one of the free agent guards.
I heard they were going to make a run at Pats Sebastian Vollmer (RT).

Would be a nice addition IF (yep) he can stay healthy.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

There has recently been rumors saying we are linked to Wagner now as well. Wasnt a very reliable site but who knows
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

was sick all weekend so I didnt check this site, surprised at the lack of response here. I guess its fatigue of chronic failure. Hopefully this is just the first step in flushing the toilet that IS our OL. How is Kalil not gone yet? Clemmings is circling the drain......
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

chicagopurple wrote:was sick all weekend so I didnt check this site, surprised at the lack of response here. I guess its fatigue of chronic failure. Hopefully this is just the first step in flushing the toilet that IS our OL. How is Kalil not gone yet? Clemmings is circling the drain......
Kalil is a free agent at the start of the new league year. So technically he's still on our team. Hence why he didnt gone yet. Even though I think they should look to keep him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Ugh...

Whether we like it or not, we are in sate of "In Rick we trust". If you count Kalil as a FA and consider both backups at Tackle as questionable (at best), the current starting OL is:

LT: ? or Rashod Hill
LG: Boone
C: Berger/Easton
RG: ?
RT: ? or Sirles

That list of starters is not exactly confidence inspiring, then again it wasn't fabulous in 2016 either.

It is possible that these moves had to do with bloated contracts / unwillingness by the two released players to renegotiate?

Questions / Opinions:
This sure seems like a set up for the team to go for broke in Free Agency
Can they reliably replace three positions in free agency in a single off season?
I think Hill or Sirles will be playing as a starter in 2017
I wonder how much of the cuts at RG had to do with the belief that the current players were so bad that they could be easily replaced?

It is going to be an interesting off season leading up to the draft...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Ugh...

Whether we like it or not, we are in sate of "In Rick we trust".
Yikes. Maybe it's time for the Vikings to stop trusting Rick.
Questions / Opinions:
This sure seems like a set up for the team to go for broke in Free Agency
Can they reliably replace three positions in free agency in a single off season?
That's extremely doubtful.
I wonder how much of the cuts at RG had to do with the belief that the current players were so bad that they could be easily replaced?
In Fusco's case, I think that's probably how they viewed it. Harris' release may have had to do with whatever kept him out last season.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

God, I pray Spielman pull a rabbit out of his arse! I would be greatly in favor of trading one of our promising your WR for Ol help.....
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

This leads me to believe that they are confident they have, in their mind, "locked down" at least one free agent upgrade through back channels.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

IrishViking wrote:This leads me to believe that they are confident they have, in their mind, "locked down" at least one free agent upgrade through back channels.
Agreed. Cutting two guards makes me think it could be Zeitler. But we need more help at tackle and guards are easier to find. Maybe it's Wagner. The guard market is pretty strong though. I just want FA to get here!!! Lol
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think Wagner is going to draw a lot of intrest and could get a contract close to 10 million.
They could go with a center and go with Berger at guard if he plays this year.
FA should be fun watching.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:I think Wagner is going to draw a lot of intrest and could get a contract close to 10 million.
They could go with a center and go with Berger at guard if he plays this year.
FA should be fun watching.
There aren't many centers out there. I would love Pat Elfein or Ethan Pocic in the draft. Both can play guard/center. Wagners contract is completely up in the air
-Chazz Palminteri