2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

Post by Mothman »

New Year, new thread...
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by halfgiz »

@GoesslingESPN
27m
The Vikings announced they released guards Brandon Fusco and Mike Harris, beginning the makeover of an offensive... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:@GoesslingESPN
27m
The Vikings announced they released guards Brandon Fusco and Mike Harris, beginning the makeover of an offensive... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…
Interesting!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Interesting!
As I've said, I truly believe we're going to assess this line in the right way. However, could this mean we're going all in on Zeitler??
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mothman wrote: Interesting!
They didn't waste anytime...so it begins the offseason moves.

Edit: Fusco's tweet

https://t.co/jFZbupr4JQ
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Classy tweet. Anyone know the cap savings? I'd imagine Fuscos is decent.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

S197 wrote:Classy tweet. Anyone know the cap savings? I'd imagine Fuscos is decent.
The combined roster moves open up roughly $4.8M in additional cap space.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

The purge begins. For the next bit of good news kalil will not return in free agency and clemmings gets cut
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Boon wrote:The purge begins. For the next bit of good news kalil will not return in free agency and clemmings gets cut
There's no financial incentive to axe Clemmings now. He makes nothing, so letting him come to camp for one last shot to make the roster won't hurt them. Ditching Fusco and designating him as a post June 1st cut saves $3.2 million. To cut TJ now they take a 260 thousand dollar cap hit and only save 483 thousand. I think they're going to bring him to camp and see if it finally clicks for him. Then they will cut him if not.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Brandon Fusco the person by all intents and purposes is a great person. I wish him well.

That being said, I have never been a fan of Fusco the football player - going all the way back to 2011 when we drafted him. Shouldn't have signed him to that deal. He was only average when he got it.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

nightowl wrote: There's no financial incentive to axe Clemmings now.
They shouldn't need one. He's been awful for two straight years, showing no real sign of improvement. I think they'd be better off giving his spot to someone else (even his camp spot).

You're probably right that they'll bring him back again though.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: They shouldn't need one. He's been awful for two straight years, showing no real sign of improvement. I think they'd be better off giving his spot to someone else (even his camp spot).

You're probably right that they'll bring him back again though.
Its hard to imagine they'd give him another shot at Tackle. Guard seems like his only shot to make the team at this point. I guess there's little reason to release him now, but I wouldn't be mad if they did.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I'm neither condoning or condemning keeping Clemmings for the moment. I just think I understand the thought process.

At this point the only thing for certain on the line is Boone and Berger, and even then it's up in the air where they would play. Boone could land at either LG, RG or RT. Berger at either guard spot or Center. Right now Clemmings is young and cheap. That makes him worth bringing to camp to them. I agree with Fiesta, his best hope is likely making him a Guard and leaving him there. I don't have much hope for him though.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

nightowl wrote:I'm neither condoning or condemning keeping Clemmings for the moment. I just think I understand the thought process.

At this point the only thing for certain on the line is Boone and Berger, and even then it's up in the air where they would play.
I wonder if Berger can be considered a sure thing. He was considering retirement a couple of years ago and he'll turn 35 in May. He suffered a concussion last season and he has a family. I haven't heard anything concrete about the possibility he could retire in 2017 but I don't think it would be a shocking development. He might decide to to call it a career and get out while still healthy.
Boone could land at either LG, RG or RT. Berger at either guard spot or Center. Right now Clemmings is young and cheap. That makes him worth bringing to camp to them.

I agree with Fiesta, his best hope is likely making him a Guard and leaving him there. I don't have much hope for him though.
I'm hoping they will just move on and give someone else Clemmings' spot and a chance to make the roster.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We should have Whitehair now instead of Alexander but nooooooooo, who needs linemen.