TRADES! Young capital on the Market?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: TRADES! Young capital on the Market?

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I'm not really sure what's going to happen with this WR core. Patterson came out and said he wants to stay but wants them to commit he's going to play on offense. If that's the case and we resign him, Treadwell could be in a pickle again because Diggs and Thielen are pretty damn good. It'll be very interesting. I have a feeling CP could feel a little threatened by Treadwell and that's one reason he could be saying that
Treadwell was drafted to play a role in an offense that we don't run anymore. I don't think his future will be all that bright with this team. Patterson will be utilized far more if the team keeps him, but this team won't be going anywhere anyway with Shurmur.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:
I think he's probably saying it because they only threw 2 passes to him in 2015 and he wants to make sure that won't happen again.

It appears that our New OC utilizes him more and more. I think they need to give it a year with Shurmur and let the receiving core settle. Remember 2 years ago Charles Johnson Wright were going to lead our team? :lol:

After this year I think you'll have a solidified core you stay with; Diggs, Patterson, Treadwell, Thielen is my guess. then you move the rest.

TBH I think you have to move pieces from the stacked Defense to shore up the lagging offense. Keep the balance
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Treadwell was drafted to play a role in an offense that we don't run anymore. I don't think his future will be all that bright with this team. Patterson will be utilized far more if the team keeps him, but this team won't be going anywhere anyway with Shurmur.
Completely disagree. There is no reason Treadwell cant play a role in this offense. If anything, Treadwell's strength if you remember from college was the short to intermediate routes. Similar to an Anquan Boldin. That is more of what Shurmur runs. He's not really a deep threat like AJ Green. I dont believe one bit that Treadwell was drafted because he "fit Norv's system". I think he was drafted because we NEEDED a WR and that year he was arguably the best WR in college football
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Completely disagree. There is no reason Treadwell cant play a role in this offense. If anything, Treadwell's strength if you remember from college was the short to intermediate routes. Similar to an Anquan Boldin. That is more of what Shurmur runs. He's not really a deep threat like AJ Green. I dont believe one bit that Treadwell was drafted because he "fit Norv's system". I think he was drafted because we NEEDED a WR and that year he was arguably the best WR in college football
Could be. I see Diggs and Thielen as much better, more athletic, more versatile players. I don't think he passes either on on the depth chart. If they let Patterson walk, maybe he'll get some snaps, otherwise not unless injury.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Could be. I see Diggs and Thielen as much better, more athletic, more versatile players. I don't think he passes either on on the depth chart. If they let Patterson walk, maybe he'll get some snaps, otherwise not unless injury.
That's what I'm saying. Diggs and Thielen are pretty good. However, nobody expected this out of Thielen. I cant imagine if he's showing well in practice, he'll be sitting the bench so something is gonna give. I dont see Diggs and Thielen being more versatile either. I look at those 3 all as the same from a versatility standpoint. None of them are big time deep threats and they are good short-intermediate route runners. If you remember, Treadwell's lone catch this year was out of the slot on a very good route. And obviously he can play outside.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: That's what I'm saying. Diggs and Thielen are pretty good. However, nobody expected this out of Thielen. I cant imagine if he's showing well in practice, he'll be sitting the bench so something is gonna give. I dont see Diggs and Thielen being more versatile either. I look at those 3 all as the same from a versatility standpoint. None of them are big time deep threats and they are good short-intermediate route runners. If you remember, Treadwell's lone catch this year was out of the slot on a very good route. And obviously he can play outside.
If they go with those 3 guys (diggs, thielen, treadwell) I like the idea of using treadwell in the slot. Of course, you didn't factor in Moritz Bohringer, who has had a whole offseason with the team! ;)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
If they go with those 3 guys (diggs, thielen, treadwell) I like the idea of using treadwell in the slot. Of course, you didn't factor in Moritz Bohringer, who has had a whole offseason with the team! ;)
:lol: Going out on a limb here but our first TD pass next year will be to MoBo. Put it in the books!
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I don't understand the point of trading Treadwell. We don't even know what we have in him. If he goes and explodes somewhere else, everyone and their mother will be calling for Spielmans head on here. You gotta see what you have in him before you just trade him because he did nothing in ONE year. Just doesn't make much sense

Honestly, I don't see trades as a viable way to fix our OL problems. But, in line with the implausible premise of this thread, I proposed Treadwell as a better option to be traded than Diggs. Treadwell is a mystery to the league and it wasn't so long ago that he was taken in the first round. I would bet that there is a team with a dearth of talent at WR that would be willing to part with a draft pick to acquire his talents or with a decent OL talent. But my preference would be to not trade him. We need to acquire talent at OL, but I don't think trades are the way to do it.

I wouldn't want to lose Diggs or Thielen. I see those guys as centerpieces of our O moving forward.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: :lol: Going out on a limb here but our first TD pass next year will be to MoBo. Put it in the books!
... and file them in the "Fantasy" section. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Honestly, I don't see trades as a viable way to fix our OL problems. But, in line with the implausible premise of this thread, I proposed Treadwell as a better option to be traded than Diggs. Treadwell is a mystery to the league and it wasn't so long ago that he was taken in the first round. I would bet that there is a team with a dearth of talent at WR that would be willing to part with a draft pick to acquire his talents or with a decent OL talent. But my preference would be to not trade him. We need to acquire talent at OL, but I don't think trades are the way to do it.

I wouldn't want to lose Diggs or Thielen. I see those guys as centerpieces of our O moving forward.

Honestly, I'd trade any one of them for a good starting tackle but a good starting tackle would probably cost more than that.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: ... and file them in the "Fantasy" section. :)
What kind of odds you giving that Bohringer will have more career receiving yards than LaQuan Treadwell?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:What kind of odds you giving that Bohringer will have more career receiving yards than LaQuan Treadwell?
:lol: I'd say that's still a long shot.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: :lol: I'd say that's still a long shot.
It would sure be a fun story for next year if Moritz tears up the preseason...The next Jimmy Graham! :tongue:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:
Honestly, I don't see trades as a viable way to fix our OL problems. But, in line with the implausible premise of this thread, I proposed Treadwell as a better option to be traded than Diggs. Treadwell is a mystery to the league and it wasn't so long ago that he was taken in the first round. I would bet that there is a team with a dearth of talent at WR that would be willing to part with a draft pick to acquire his talents or with a decent OL talent. But my preference would be to not trade him. We need to acquire talent at OL, but I don't think trades are the way to do it.

But the thing is, if we traded Treadwell, what would we even get? Like a 3rd-4th round pick? That's not even one bit worth it. I honestly don't even know why it's being discussed
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:But the thing is, if we traded Treadwell, what would we even get? Like a 3rd-4th round pick? That's not even one bit worth it. I honestly don't even know why it's being discussed
Many fans seem to like discussing hypothetical trades. I think it's as simple as that. Think of it in the same spirit as your mock offseason posts.

I think packaging Treadwell in a trade to acquire a proven player at a position of need could make sense. It might even make sense to package him as part of a trade to move up in the draft IF the Vikes felt confident they were getting a better player at a position of need.

None of these scenarios is particularly likely to happen.