The future of the Vikings, part 1: The quarterbacks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: The future of the Vikings, part 1: The quarterbacks

Post by S197 »

Man Clemmings in that first gif... :wallbang: And I'm not sure what the criticism is in the second, I don't see anyone open?

Anyway, to the point of the thread, Bradford/Bridgewater/Heinecke is better depth then we've seen in a long, long time. Who knows if anyone will be the answer but at least it's a respectable group for once.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Sounds like Bridgewater may miss 2017 as well
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... 17-season/
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Crax wrote:Sounds like Bridgewater may miss 2017 as well
I'm not surprised. I think a lot of Vikings fans somehow just never realized the severity of this injury or how truly career threatening it could be. I cannot imagine the Vikings give Teddy the 5th year option unless there is some kind of injury clause that can let them do it for a whole lot less. He's almost certainly done as a Viking, even if he can ever play again.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I would assume that Teddy understands that staying on a roster should be his main goal. I would be stunned if they didn't try to stay with the vikings for the absolute minimum he can be paid.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IrishViking wrote:I would assume that Teddy understands that staying on a roster should be his main goal. I would be stunned if they didn't try to stay with the vikings for the absolute minimum he can be paid.
I guess its possible they could not take the 5th year and sign him as a free agent, but at this point. Moritz Boehringer has a significantly higher chance of ever playing a regular season snap for the Vikings than Teddy Bridgewater does.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

fiestavike wrote: I guess its possible they could not take the 5th year and sign him as a free agent, but at this point. Moritz Boehringer has a significantly higher chance of ever playing a regular season snap for the Vikings than Teddy Bridgewater does.
Feel bad for the guy. Everything was looking great in preseason. He bulked up. He was hitting his downfield receivers. He had more zip in his passes. He looked comfortable and confident.

Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Feel bad for the guy. Everything was looking great in preseason. He bulked up. He was hitting his downfield receivers. He had more zip in his passes. He looked comfortable and confident.
If he ever starts another NFL game, whatever team he is playing for WILL be my favorite team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Crax wrote:Sounds like Bridgewater may miss 2017 as well
I think that is probably a smart move with the Vikings FO for not rushing Teddy. He was never going to be football ready for the beginning of the season. So why rush him.

Guess time will tell.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

fiestavike wrote:
I guess its possible they could not take the 5th year and sign him as a free agent, but at this point. Moritz Boehringer has a significantly higher chance of ever playing a regular season snap for the Vikings than Teddy Bridgewater does.
Feel bad for the guy. Everything was looking great in preseason. He bulked up. He was hitting his downfield receivers. He had more zip in his passes. He looked comfortable and confident.[/quote]

If he ever starts another NFL game, whatever team he is playing for WILL be my favorite team.[/quote]

I understand your sentiment as I feel the exact same way about Sam Bradford. And now both have been struck down by horrific injury situations. All the best to Teddy both on and off the field.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote:

Yeah man that TD to Rudolph was a legitimate dart! I hope the guy can recover
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

It would be pointless for the team to sell the farm to buy a top shelf QB or even a great college QB draft (there are none in this years draft anyway). Bradford is completely serviceable as a leader in a team fighting to be an average NFL team. Until we have a real OL no QB will have top tier potential. We also dont really have a RB to support a Super Bowl Run. There are far bigger issues to face rather then considering replacing Bradford.....for what we are, he is good enough.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

With the timeline for Teddy at 19months . The the next question is what QB's is going to be on our roster this year.

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/01/27/nfl-r ... on-injury/
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

chicagopurple wrote:It would be pointless for the team to sell the farm to buy a top shelf QB or even a great college QB draft (there are none in this years draft anyway). Bradford is completely serviceable as a leader in a team fighting to be an average NFL team. Until we have a real OL no QB will have top tier potential. We also dont really have a RB to support a Super Bowl Run. There are far bigger issues to face rather then considering replacing Bradford.....for what we are, he is good enough.
It's OL and RB we really need to assess. It's not like we're having to do a complete rebuild or something. With the defense we have, we aren't very far off. It's not like this is something we can't fix. We have talent all over the roster. Defense as a whole, WR, TE, QB. Do you realize how many teams out there CANT say that?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

its true that we have a limited area that needs to be upgraded. The bad part is that the OL is a complete failure and every position needs to be completely upgraded during a time in the NFL where OL is a priority for many teams so the picking are slim. Moreover, we have a GM who has shown little interest in committing to building a SuperBowl quality OL and little skill when he HAS many an effort.

As far as running back goes, we have 2 part timer journeymen backs who are just competent enough to give Spielman an excuse for not improving that position......
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

chicagopurple wrote:The bad part is that the OL is a complete failure and every position needs to be completely upgraded
No. LG and C dont need to be "completely upgraded". Boone and Berger were our only 2 good OL. Can we provide some depth behind them? Yes. But to say those positions need to be completely upgraded is false.
Moreover, we have a GM who has shown little interest in committing to building a SuperBowl quality OL and little skill when he HAS many an effort.
That doesnt mean he cant improve the OL this year. Guys held what he did in Miami over his head for the longest time too. It's a new year. The past is the past. You assess as you go. I think it's pretty damn clear to him and the coaching staff that the OL is an issue. So do you think they are just going to ignore it or something?? It's a world-known thing that one thing holding this team back is the OL. Just because he didnt put into it what some wanted the past few years doesnt mean he wont do it this year. Especially due to the offensive struggles. I have no worries.
As far as running back goes, we have 2 part timer journeymen backs who are just competent enough to give Spielman an excuse for not improving that position......
No again. It's almost like you look for stuff to pull out of a hat to try and make Spielman look bad. You're trying too hard man. We had the last ranked running offense in the NFL. Why would Spielman, or any GM for that matter, not assess that position?? Lets be realistic here.
-Chazz Palminteri