New RB Coach?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Alaskan
Starter

Re: New RB Coach?

Post by Alaskan »

Husker Vike wrote:Mothman wrote:

I literally wrote that "A good defense is 1/3 of a good team." That's it. You projected more onto that statement and I clarified the point later by telling you a good defense isn't enough. Your statements above suggest you believe exactly the same thing! You clearly implied that special teams matter and the phrase "we need to get better on the offensive side of the ball" speaks for itself.

There are 3 phases to the game so logically, being good in one phase means 1/3 of the team is good. I'm honestly not sure why you find that a controversial concept. :confused:

A team can be imbalanced and reach or win the Super Bowl. I never suggested otherwise. My point all along was that it's going to take more than a good defense to get the job done. A dominant defense is more than just good but at this point in their development, the Vikes don't have a dominant defense and as you said, they need to get better on offense.

To Fiesta's point: focusing on taking the defense from good to elite has it's merits but I think that's taking the tougher and less likely road to success and I say that because a team's that struggles to score has very little margin for error.

Well obviously I'm not going to sit here and say we're all set on offense. Who would?? Of course it needs to get better. But you said 1/3 of a team "simply isnt enough" when that is exactly what is happening right now (Atlanta). No less you followed that up by saying you dont see us contending for a while. So no, I'm not blowing it out of proportion. Atlanta is contending and they are good on one side of the ball. Who's to say we cant if we get this offense into the low-mid 20's in total offense at least?? I'd rather have this defense than Atlanta's offense if I had to choose one. How many games has Atlanta lost the past few years when they've put up 30+ points?? A lot. The defense is a championship caliber defense. Atlanta has the 25th ranked defense. If we can get up to the 25th or better ranked offense next year why couldnt we contend??

If Atlanta can do it there is no reason we cant. And I've said that before and I've yet to get a response. We have the QB, WR's and TE. It's not like we're the Browns and have none of the above. We need to fix a few areas, yeah. But it's not like this offense has 0 talent on it. And what a year to be looking for a RB. Build the OL through FA and the draft, keeping a few of our own and draft a RB and there is no reason this offense couldnt get into the low 20's at least.
This is a valid point, I think we have to improve our scoring average to at least the mid 20's to be a contender.If Dan Quinn who is a Defensive coach can get it done,Zimmer should be able to see what needs done also, although he inherited a team with immense talent on the offensive side of the ball with MattRyan , Julio jones, Devontae Freeman were already there. But then GM Thomas Dimitroff drafted some good O linemen, had to replace a Hall of Fame TE in Tony Gonzalez and brought in Free Agents like Sanu, and Center Alex Mack. Quinn asked to get speed on the defensive side and the GM delievered, theFalcons D did get much better as the seaon went along and I think this team will be very relevant in the future.
Solid post. I agree with you for the most part. To add to your point the Vikings personal will benefit greatly from the Scheme change as well, as a whole there skill players fit better into the west coast system. There run game will improve inherently with zone run blocking schemes that WILL be the predominant blocking scheme used. Historically it has proven to allow teams to get more out of less talented offensive linemen. Shurmer, Sparano and there new TE coach Barone all come from strong zone blocking backgrounds. The Vikings rebuilding job when Zimmer took over was much, much larger than what Quinn was up against on both sides of the ball. When the franchise QB, arguably the best receiver in the game and a stud rookie RB are what you walk into.....it makes the rebuilding job MUCH easier. The Vikings had 1 of the three of those in place when Zimmer took over and he has only played ONE of the three years Zimmer has been here.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Well obviously I'm not going to sit here and say we're all set on offense. Who would?? Of course it needs to get better. But you said 1/3 of a team "simply isnt enough" when that is exactly what is happening right now (Atlanta) No less you followed that up by saying you dont see us contending for a while. So no, I'm not blowing it out of proportion.
Here's what I actually wrote when you objected to my comment that "A good defense is 1/3 of a good team" the first time.:
My point was simply that a good defense isn't enough. I didn't say the Vikings can't contend.
In other words, yes, you are blowing it out of proportion. You're arguing about a possibility I conceded from the start. It's not impossible for the Vikings to contend.

If the Vikings defense actually was good enough to carry them into the Super Bowl, wouldn't they be in the Super Bowl? Remember, you were talking about the 2016 Vikings defense, not some future, hypothetical Vikings defense that's as dominant on that side of the ball as the Falcons have been on offense this season.

As I said before: the team needs to be good enough as a whole to win it all. That doesn't strike me as a controversial statement. It's possible they could be that good soon but what's possible and what I expect to happen aren't the same thing. I hope that's clear now. I think it's unlikely the Vikings will win a Super Bowl in the next 2 years because in my assessment, this combination of management/coaching and the roster they've assembled are unlikely to get that job done. What the Falcons have accomplished isn't relevant to that point. My assessment is specific to this particular Vikings team and it should go without saying that it's just an opinion.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

....and I quote
Mothman wrote: I just don't think it's likely they will be legitimate Super Bowl contenders in the near future.
Mothman wrote:
In other words, yes, you are blowing it out of proportion. You're arguing about a possibility I conceded from the start. It's not impossible for the Vikings to contend.

If the Vikings defense actually was good enough to carry them into the Super Bowl, wouldn't they be in the Super Bowl? Remember, you were talking about the 2016 Vikings defense, not some future, hypothetical Vikings defense that's as dominant on that side of the ball as the Falcons have been on offense this season.

As I said before: the team needs to be good enough as a whole to win it all. That doesn't strike me as a controversial statement. It's possible they could be that good soon but what's possible and what I expect to happen aren't the same thing. I hope that's clear now. I think it's unlikely the Vikings will win a Super Bowl in the next 2 years because in my assessment, this combination of management/coaching and the roster they've assembled are unlikely to get that job done. What the Falcons have accomplished isn't relevant to that point. My assessment is specific to this particular Vikings team and it should go without saying that it's just an opinion.
You're saying that you dont think they will contend for a SB in the near future but you're also saying "I'm not saying they cant contend". Well....yes you are. I just quoted it above. You're just contradicting yourself. Of course anything is possible but from what YOU are saying, you dont believe whatsoever that they will contend in the near future for whatever reason. So yeah, you're saying you dont think they can contend. I never said you were saying it was impossible or something so I have no clue where you got that vibe. I just dont buy the whole 1/3-2/3 thing you had going. All in all, your reasoning is "I dont think they can contend in the near future because they have 1/3 of a team and poor management". That's my quick summary of what it sounds like you're saying and I couldnt disagree more. Either way, moving on....

And no I never once said this defense can carry them to a super bowl. I said it's a SB caliber defense. Big difference there. I said the offense needs to get up in the mid 20's at least in order for the defense to do that. That's not asking much. You really dont think we could have an offense in the mid-20's in the "near future"? Is it just always going to be bad forever? Because of this head coach and GM you arent fond of? If that's what you really think, so be it. But I dont think it's asking much at all to get to that point with this offense. It's not like we have a lack of talent on offense like SF or Cleveland. It's OL and RB. That's literally it. No less we arent a team squandering all over for the most important position in football (QB).
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:You're saying that you dont think they will contend for a SB in the near future but you're also saying "I'm not saying they cant contend". Well....yes you are. I just quoted it above. You're just contradicting yourself. Of course anything is possible but from what YOU are saying, you dont believe whatsoever that they will contend in the near future for whatever reason. So yeah, you're saying you dont think they can contend. I never said you were saying it was impossible or something so I have no clue where you got that vibe. I just dont buy the whole 1/3-2/3 thing you had going. All in all, your reasoning is "I dont think they can contend in the near future because they have 1/3 of a team and poor management". That's my quick summary of what it sounds like you're saying and I couldnt disagree more.
Yes, it's your quick summary and again, it's inaccurate.
And no I never once said this defense can carry them to a super bowl. I said it's a SB caliber defense. Big difference there. I said the offense needs to get up in the mid 20's at least in order for the defense to do that. That's not asking much. You really dont think we could have an offense in the mid-20's in the "near future"? Is it just always going to be bad forever? Because of this head coach and GM you arent fond of? If that's what you really think, so be it. But I dont think it's asking much at all to get to that point with this offense. It's not like we have a lack of talent on offense like SF or Cleveland. It's OL and RB. That's literally it. No less we arent a team squandering all over for the most important position in football (QB).
I'm sorry, I literally have no idea how to respond to you about this anymore. :confused:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
To Fiesta's point: focusing on taking the defense from good to elite has it's merits but I think that's taking the tougher and less likely road to success and I say that because a team's that struggles to score has very little margin for error.
True, but I think an offseason with Shurmur's system, building around Bradford's strengths, merely creating a competent OL could yield pretty significan't offensive improvement.

My take, at this point, is something like this. They've hitched their wagon to Shurmur and Bradford. With minimal investment (mid range FA OL) they should be able to improve the group. Combining all those factors, they might reach around 20th in total offense. If they go all in on drafting OL with their first few picks, I doubt the ceiling is significantly higher than that. In fact, even if they traded for Joe Staley and Joe Thomas, I don't think their ceiling is significantly higher than that with Shurmur and Bradford.

I'm on record that I don't care for the direction of the team, but given that direction, I think it makes sense to really focus on solving the middle of the defense.

With regard to PHP, Kendricks is fine as MLB, but I'd rather have a thumper in on 4-3 downs. Kendricks is often knocked backwards at the point. He's fantastic in space, but he's got real weaknesses in the middle at the point of contact.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:

True, but I think an offseason with Shurmur's system, building around Bradford's strengths, merely creating a competent OL could yield pretty significan't offensive improvement.
Exactly. I'm not sure why this seems like it's so out of the question or not possible with the GM and coach we have.

With regard to PHP, Kendricks is fine as MLB, but I'd rather have a thumper in on 4-3 downs. Kendricks is often knocked backwards at the point. He's fantastic in space, but he's got real weaknesses in the middle at the point of contact.
I can see that in a way, but I don't think he's the problem. I think it's more of the 3 tech DT. With Lineal getting doubled often, it leaves a lot of 1 on 1's with the 3 tech. That DT should be getting stops and he's not.

My thing is, if we draft a thumper, what do we do with Kendricks?? This is why I thought it would be pointless for us to draft Myles Jack. Our WLB doesnt play enough to say so so it's a waste if we put Kendricks there. Barr had his slump but I still think he's too good to play a spot that only gets 20 snaps a game. We also do have a thumper already in Kentrell Brothers if we really needed one. I think it's a waste if we spend an early pick on one.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: I'm sorry, I literally have no idea how to respond to you about this anymore. :confused:
I mean it is what it is. You don't believe in Spielman or Zimmer. I do on the other hand. You want answers and you won't get answers until March and April. Simple as that.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
My thing is, if we draft a thumper, what do we do with Kendricks?? This is why I thought it would be pointless for us to draft Myles Jack. Our WLB doesnt play enough to say so so it's a waste if we put Kendricks there. Barr had his slump but I still think he's too good to play a spot that only gets 20 snaps a game. We also do have a thumper already in Kentrell Brothers if we really needed one. I think it's a waste if we spend an early pick on one.
We put him at Weakside in base and keep him in when we go to nickel.

Brothers is very undersized. He may be a "tackling machine" but he's not a "thumper". I think he'll be fighting for a roster spot on special teams, basically for his whole career. Maybe Audie Cole would be passable in that role, but I'd rather add an impact player at MLB, and get a huge improvement at WLB (Kendricks over Greenway) in the process.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I mean it is what it is. You don't believe in Spielman or Zimmer. I do on the other hand. You want answers and you won't get answers until March and April. Simple as that.
No, it's not as simple as that but you can't seem to stop telling me what I think, despite the fact that you clearly don't comprehend my viewpoint. Please, just express your views and leave it to me to express mine.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
We put him at Weakside in base and keep him in when we go to nickel.

Brothers is very undersized. He may be a "tackling machine" but he's not a "thumper". I think he'll be fighting for a roster spot on special teams, basically for his whole career. Maybe Audie Cole would be passable in that role, but I'd rather add an impact player at MLB, and get a huge improvement at WLB (Kendricks over Greenway) in the process.
I suppose we could do that but I still think Kendricks is too good to be on the weakside.

As for Brothers, Denzel Perryman is an undersized thumper and an absolute beast for the Chargers. Brothers is 6'1 245. Compared to Perryman who is 5'11 240. So no, Brothers is not "very undersized". Perryman would be the definition of undersized if anything. And that's exactly what Brothers' was in college was a thumper. He's a decent sized middle linebacker, average athlete and led the nation in tackles last year (152) and had 12 tackles for loss. That is the definition of a thumper.
-Chazz Palminteri
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: So just because he is defensive minded, he's going to go defense heavy in the offseason?? Good analysis. Do you truly believe he thinks the OL isn't a problem?? Can you honestly sit here and say, Zim thinks the line is good or can get by?? Come on dude.

But since you said "expect a heavy defensive draft, I suppose I'll sit here and wait :whistle:

Dude, Please don't comment on my post anymore. Every time I post anything you jump all over me. What is your problem? Why do You have it in for me? I never hassle you, never have even once, yet you attack me EVERY TIME I post. Please just stay away from me from now on, Thank You
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Laserman wrote:

Dude, Please don't comment on my post anymore. Every time I post anything you jump all over me. What is your problem? Why do You have it in for me? I never hassle you, never have even once, yet you attack me EVERY TIME I post. Please just stay away from me from now on, Thank You
"Attack you"?? It's a forum man. If you're going to sit here and say, the Vikings are going to go defensive heavy again because of Zim and expect more .500 seasons then at least back it up with something. I laid out all the drafts since Zim has been here and it's been fairly even offense/defense. Slightly heavier on defense in earlier rounds but overall, right around even.

Too many times on here I see guys provide comments with zero backing. The way I've looked at it is, if you're going to provide something to this board, then at least say why you're thinking that. Instead of just blurting out things with no real reasoning or backing behind them. I have nothing against you. It's just that I've said once that he hasn't been going "D" heavy. Its been fairly even. It's just that the defensive picks have been a lot better than the offensive picks so that's why everyone wants to say "we go D heavy". Which is pretty much false.

With everything I post, I try to provide some kind of backing behind it to defend my point. That's one of the points of a message board. I don't just blurt out "Hey the Vikings suck" and just leave it at that and provide no backing behind it (not saying you did that, just in general).

I'm sorry if I offended you. It just grinds my gears sometimes when I see these somewhat outlandish posts from guys on here that prove to be false and have no reasoning behind it. By no means am I some expert. I've been wrong on here plenty of times and have no problem admitting it. It's just those type of posts drive me nuts sometimes. Sorry again
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:But you said 1/3 of a team "simply isnt enough" when that is exactly what is happening right now (Atlanta). No less you followed that up by saying you dont see us contending for a while. So no, I'm not blowing it out of proportion. Atlanta is contending and they are good on one side of the ball.
Totally, completely, thoroughly, 100,000% disagree.

Atlanta got by during the first 10 games of regular season on their offense. They won a lot of shootouts. But over their past 8 games -- last 6 regular season games and 2 playoff games -- their defense has risen close to the level everybody thought they would when Dan Quinn was hired. Let's remember, like Zimmer, Dan Quinn was ALSO a defensive guru in Seattle. So it goes to show that a defensive wiz can build a great offense.

The Falcons were always going to contend for the division with that offense, and given the relative weakness of the NFC South (thanks to the dumpster fire that Carolina became). But they're in the Super Bowl because the defense has risen to the occasion.

My other disagreement is with special teams. Atlanta is excellent. Matt Bryant is a fantastic kicker, Matt Bosher averages over 46 yards per punt, and they've got Devin Hester back there returning kicks.

Two out of 3 phases were always good for Atlanta. Now all three are, and don't be surprised if they're hoisting the trophy as a result.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Totally, completely, thoroughly, 100,000% disagree.

Atlanta got by during the first 10 games of regular season on their offense. They won a lot of shootouts. But over their past 8 games -- last 6 regular season games and 2 playoff games -- their defense has risen close to the level everybody thought they would when Dan Quinn was hired. Let's remember, like Zimmer, Dan Quinn was ALSO a defensive guru in Seattle. So it goes to show that a defensive wiz can build a great offense.

The Falcons were always going to contend for the division with that offense, and given the relative weakness of the NFC South (thanks to the dumpster fire that Carolina became). But they're in the Super Bowl because the defense has risen to the occasion.

My other disagreement is with special teams. Atlanta is excellent. Matt Bryant is a fantastic kicker, Matt Bosher averages over 46 yards per punt, and they've got Devin Hester back there returning kicks.

Two out of 3 phases were always good for Atlanta. Now all three are, and don't be surprised if they're hoisting the trophy as a result.
First of all, Dan Quinn didnt "build this offense". Dan Quinn was handed this offense. Mike Zimmer was handed very little. No QB, no WR, no OL.

And look at the teams they played those last 6 games. SF, LA, Carolina, even Arizona. All offenses that were in the tank all year. Bottom line is, the proof is in the pudding. They have the 25th ranked defense this year. Are we really going to try and defend that? If we had the 25th ranked defense in the league this year, I can't imagine anyone is sitting on here defending that.

As for the special teams, part of that is wrong . Devin Hester is NOT there. He plays for Seattle. He was in Atlanta last year and played 5 games. Since, he's been in Baltimore and Seattle. Not knocking you but lets research before we disagree with something. Yeah they have a good kicker and we did for half a season. Our punter blows. But if you read what I said above, I said outside of Locke, our ST is pretty good. I say we have the best overall return game in the league with CP and Sherels. I don't care who Devin Hester plays for. I take CP over him any day at this point of their career. So I guess if you, 100,000% disagree, I 1,000,000% disagree. Especially since part of this post was false.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 71862622a1

Herm took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly the way I look at the current Vikings
-Chazz Palminteri