Vikings Grades: Quarterback

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings Grades: Quarterback

Post by Mothman »

This is Part 4 in the Strib's series grading Vikings players on the 2016 season.

Vikings grades, outlook: Sam Bradford's season both limited and well navigated
Because of Bradford, quarterback play was not the 28th-ranked offense’s biggest worry as they cycled through offensive tackles and running backs to no avail at either position. Moving forward, Bradford and expected full-time offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will form the offense’s front as Bridgewater recovers.
Earned the NFL record for completion percentage (71.6) while averaging the shortest average throw by depth (6.6 yards) in the league, according to Pro Football Focus. Only Kansas City’s Alex Smith (6.9) also had an average depth of fewer than seven yards. All things considered, Bradford’s individual season was a success while throwing for 3,877 yards, 20 touchdowns and five interceptions against defenses that knew he had no running game and subpar protection.
The scale:

5 = excellent season
4 = above average
3 = average
2 = below average
1 = failure to perform

The grades:

Sam Bradford (4.0)
Shaun Hill (N/A)
Teddy Bridgewater (N/A)
Taylor Heinicke (N/A)

There's not much to say here that hasn't been said already. Hill's a free agent this offseason. I think the Vikes would be wise to look for another backup.
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Vikings Grades: Quarterback

Post by losperros »

Given the shortcomings of the offensive line and some coaching issues, I thought Bradford did a heck of a job.

Bradford is criticized for not being a scrambler. Okay, he's a pocket passer but I thought he ran well for a QB whenever he took off with the ball. The guy isn't afraid to do it.

Give Bradford and the current receivers (and the RBs) a better OL and wiser utilization, then we'll see more fireworks from the offense.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Earned the NFL record for completion percentage (71.6) while averaging the shortest average throw by depth (6.6 yards) in the league
Best accuracy in the league but with the shortest average throw depth in the league? Sounds familiar.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: Best accuracy in the league but with the shortest average throw depth in the league? Sounds familiar.
:lol: That's been the Vikings way for the better part of 5 years now, hasn't it?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: :lol: That's been the Vikings way for the better part of 5 years now, hasn't it?
Yup. In the top 10 most accurate passers (or 1-2 spots off) all of those years. Interesting side note: Bridgewater had a better completion percentage, yards per attempt, yards per completion, and QBR in 2015 with Bradford on the Eagles. That doesn't necessarily mean anything with all of the other factors at play but I didn't expect it.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

losperros wrote:Given the shortcomings of the offensive line and some coaching issues, I thought Bradford did a heck of a job.

Bradford is criticized for not being a scrambler. Okay, he's a pocket passer but I thought he ran well for a QB whenever he took off with the ball. The guy isn't afraid to do it.

Give Bradford and the current receivers (and the RBs) a better OL and wiser utilization, then we'll see more fireworks from the offense.
I really haven't heard anybody criticize Bradford for not being a scrambler. I've just heard people say that he's been criticized for not being a scrambler. :confused:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I really haven't heard anybody criticize Bradford for not being a scrambler. I've just heard people say that he's been criticized for not being a scrambler. :confused:
People here have complained about his lack of mobility all season.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Mothman wrote: People here have complained about his lack of mobility all season.
The last 3-4 games or so he was a different QB. Moved a lot better in the pocket and ran much better on scrambles. Cam Newton he is not however neither is Newton the accurate passer Bradford is.

Is he a top 3 QB? No but he's top 10-12 for sure and a guy who could easily win a Super Bowl or 2 if the team improves it's line.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Cliff wrote: Yup. In the top 10 most accurate passers (or 1-2 spots off) all of those years. Interesting side note: Bridgewater had a better completion percentage, yards per attempt, yards per completion, and QBR in 2015 with Bradford on the Eagles. That doesn't necessarily mean anything with all of the other factors at play but I didn't expect it.
Yes but keep in mind a couple things; A) Bradford was coming off back-to-back ACL's and hadn't played in a long, LONG time..started slow in Philly but in the last 7 games was a top 3-5 QB in almost every stat. B) Bridgewater was throwing in an offense that featured the leagues leading rusher while Bradford was throwing in Philly with a horrendous run game and the leagues worst (in terms of drops) receivers.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

How many QBs were traded for, lost their starting OL, starting HB, had average WRs? Oh, and the offensive coordinator quit half way through the season.

Bradford had questions, but come on, the questions *around* him were much bigger than his questions!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: People here have complained about his lack of mobility all season.
I've missed that somehow. Pocket presence and movement in the pocket I've seen, but not so much about scrambling. I probably just missed it. That is a silly criticism.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

fiestavike wrote: I've missed that somehow. Pocket presence and movement in the pocket I've seen, but not so much about scrambling. I probably just missed it. That is a silly criticism.
I think it was more comparing his mobility to Teddy's, whick is like comparing mine to Usain Bolt.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

There's been a lot made out of Bradford's average throwing distance. But honestly, a lot of that came early.

The Vikings actually finished 12th in the league with 52 completions of 20 or more yards. Much of that came after Norv's resignation. At first, throws got even shorter with Shurmur, but then the Vikings picked it up down the stretch, averaging 305 yards per game over the last four.

Given the magnitude of Teddy's injury and the low likelihood he'll be ready by the start of the season, we could use help at backup QB. But for the first time in a long time, our starter is solid going into an offseason.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:There's been a lot made out of Bradford's average throwing distance. But honestly, a lot of that came early.

The Vikings actually finished 12th in the league with 52 completions of 20 or more yards. Much of that came after Norv's resignation. At first, throws got even shorter with Shurmur, but then the Vikings picked it up down the stretch, averaging 305 yards per game over the last four.

Given the magnitude of Teddy's injury and the low likelihood he'll be ready by the start of the season, we could use help at backup QB. But for the first time in a long time, our starter is solid going into an offseason.
Very well said.....agree 100%
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

autobon7 wrote: Very well said.....agree 100%
Same here.

Bradford has bested most of the criticism. He wanted to go deep more and tried try to throw downfield as the season progressed. I believe better blocking would have helped the team's efforts in that area. And critics claimed Bradford wasn't mobile. Yet he took off and gained yards running when it was necessary.

The Vikings are going to start the next season with a good QB in Bradford. Maybe not great but good. And having Teddy as backup makes this one of the best QB tandems the team has seen in a long time, though it's doubtful TB will be 100 percent (which admittedly could affect his performance).