Vikings grades: Offensive Line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings grades: Offensive Line

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I'm curious if Berger graded out similarly at both C and G. If he can play G and Easton can play C, that would give them time to groom potential draftees/Sirles and focus on the tackle positions as the immediate concern.
Here's what the section of the article about Berger, including what they said about him playing guard:
In his age 34 season, Berger continued to be an overlooked bargain for the Vikings. Earned a starting role for the first time in six years out of camp with John Sullivan unable to return to form after multiple back surgeries. Played 852 snaps [81%]. Before they abandoned the run game, much focused behind Berger and Boone — the two most capable of opening a rare seam.Sat out two games due to a concussion, when his reliability contrasted with young Nick Easton’s growing pains in botched snaps and a protection call or two. Made starts at left and right guard, where his physical limitations were exposed. Still only allowed a team-low eight QB pressures (two sacks). Flagged once. Turns 35 in May. Under contract for a $1.76 million salary cap hit next season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I don't see how Jake Long can possibly return at his age with a blown achilles.

As much as it pains us, we're probably going to have to re-sign Matt Kalil. He's the best we've got at tackle, and far better than anyone who played after him this year.

Berger is pretty solid in the middle, but he's 35, and concussions are no joke.

Boone is serviceable. Fusco's cap hit of $3.87 million means he's staying, unfortunately.

Beyond that, we need a serious infusion of talent. Easton, Sirles, Clemmings, Kerin, Hill, Leave it to Beavers, et. al., don't really care what they do with them. I'm sure they'd make good bouncers, or maybe mall cops.

In free agency, Sebastian Vollmer is an UFA. He's a risk after missing the season with hip and shoulder injuries, but he's really good when healthy and comes from New England, where they seem to do everything right. Riley Reiff of the Kitties is available, but he will get lots of interest and will come at a high cost for someone who ranks in the middle of the pack at tackle. Baltimore's Ricky Wagner is pretty solid (19th overall by PFF) but is also going to be expensive. If we release AP, we've got $41 million in cap space. We're gonna have to back up the Brinks truck for one of these guys, most likely, as there isn't much in the draft at tackle, and we don't have a first-round pick unless we trade up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The whole Oline is so bad, I dont care if we loose any one of them. There are all just so generic and blahish. I dont know what I will do if Rick and Zim dont make it their #1 priority, and work on it right away. Its going to be a long year regardless. Im sure someone other then AD will be the main back (which is going to be so sad), and McKinnon and Asiata just aernt good. At all.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I don't see how Jake Long can possibly return at his age with a blown achilles.

As much as it pains us, we're probably going to have to re-sign Matt Kalil. He's the best we've got at tackle, and far better than anyone who played after him this year.

Berger is pretty solid in the middle, but he's 35, and concussions are no joke.

Boone is serviceable. Fusco's cap hit of $3.87 million means he's staying, unfortunately.
Fusco's dead cap hit is $1.6 million in 2017 so it's not inconceivable they could move on. I'm guessing he'll still be a Vikings in when the season starts though.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Did Hill play in any games this year? I thought he played in the last game. I just don't remember and if he did how did he do?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Raptorman wrote:Did Hill play in any games this year? I thought he played in the last game. I just don't remember and if he did how did he do?
Yes he played LT in the finale from 2nd Q on after Clemmings got hurt. He did well too in this small sample size. Got bull rushed a couple times but recovered, no sacks allowed and no penalties either.

I don't know much about the guy but he acquitted himself well in spot duty but lets be honest here, a pylon looks better than Clemmings.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RFIP wrote: Yes he played LT in the finale from 2nd Q on after Clemmings got hurt. He did well too in this small sample size. Got bull rushed a couple times but recovered, no sacks allowed and no penalties either.

I don't know much about the guy but he acquitted himself well in spot duty but lets be honest here, a pylon looks better than Clemmings.
True. However, I think he could be a good depth piece regardless.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Clemmings got a 1.5?

What does it take to be a 1.0? Actually carrying a matador's cape and screaming "Ole!" as the DE runs past?
They gave him half a point for yelling, "Sam he's coming!!" every time he was turnstiled.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ra ... line011117

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but we officially somehow did not have the worst line in the NFL :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

found this article from another forum

The future of the Vikings, part 4: The offensive line
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ra ... line011117

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but we officially somehow did not have the worst line in the NFL [emoji38]
That seems surreal.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

808vikingsfan wrote:found this article from another forum

The future of the Vikings, part 4: The offensive line
That is a pretty good summary of where we are at. March should be interesting.

The part about not listening to Boone and the bit about HIll being better than Clemmings is very damning in my opinion. Anyone could see how bad Clemming was. Not instilling a lot of confidence in the coaching staff...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote: That is a pretty good summary of where we are at. March should be interesting.

The part about not listening to Boone and the bit about HIll being better than Clemmings is very damning in my opinion. Anyone could see how bad Clemming was. Not instilling a lot of confidence in the coaching staff...

I agree, excellent read: very balanced assessment of our situation and comprehensive too.

My hope: sign one of the best FA tackles (Whitworth or Reiff) and draft another in rounds 2 or 3. Resign Kalil to an appropriate contract for his talent level. For G, same: combo of FA and draft. We need to invest intelligently in OL.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

this is all one big hot pile of crap. Berger a 4/5? Really?? just because he can, on paper, start at more then one spot? either way, he plays both spots in a very average/mediocre way.....that is the BEST eval on the whole OL but its just the best of the worst.....Sirles is nothing but a tackling dummy on a sled. If Kalil comes back at a discount and SPielman claims victory...we are doomed to failure.

The only real answer is a scorched earth policy where we bring in all new talent and make it clear that NO ONE's job is secure till we are operating at a quality rate.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Texas Vike wrote:
I agree, excellent read: very balanced assessment of our situation and comprehensive too.

My hope: sign one of the best FA tackles (Whitworth or Reiff) and draft another in rounds 2 or 3. Resign Kalil to an appropriate contract for his talent level. For G, same: combo of FA and draft. We need to invest intelligently in OL.
Given the relative abundance of FA talent at Guard vs. Tackle maybe it makes more sense to shift Boone to LT, sign a RT or make Kalil play there, and then add FA Guard talent?

They could go for broke and sign two big FA linemen, but that is probably the demise of AP era in MN.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi