Vikings grades: Offensive Line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings grades: Offensive Line

Post by Mothman »

The article at the link below is the first in an eight-part series from the Strib reviewing the 2016 Vikings and looking ahead by position:

Vikings grades and position outlook: Berger, Boone lead underwhelming offensive line
Flexibility is the silver lining for an injury-riddled and underachieving offensive line group, especially at tackle. The Vikings can clean the slate with just T.J. Clemmings and Rashod Hill currently under contract on the outsides. In Tony Sparano’s first season as offensive line coach, the Vikings lost three tackles to injury, one to retirement and another potential starter to illness.

Offensive linemen

Under contract in 2017: G Alex Boone, C Joe Berger, G Brandon Fusco, OT T.J. Clemmings, C Nick Easton, G Willie Beavers, OT Rashod Hill, G Austin Shepherd

Pending free agents: OT Matt Kalil, OT Andre Smith, G Mike Harris, OT Jeremiah Sirles, OT Jake Long, G Zac Kerin

Grades are based on a 1-5 scale, with ‘5’ marking an excellent season, ‘4’ for above-average, ‘3’ for average, ‘2’ for below-average and ‘1’ for failure to perform. Players who did not accrue a season (weren’t on the active roster for at least six weeks) or played in three games or fewer are not graded. Based on game and practice observations, weekly film reviews and interviews. Quarterback pressures are provided by Pro Football Focus analyst Trevor Lynch.
The author of the article, Andrew Krammer, gave Berger a 4.0 and Boone received a grade of 3.5. Nobody else was given a grade above 3. Krammer hedged his bets by giving Long and Easton a 2.5.

Frankly, I think all of the grades above are overly generous. The other grades are as follows:

Sirles 2.0
Fusco 1.5
Smith 1.5
Clemmings 1.0

Kerin, Kalil, Hill, Harris, Beavers and Shepherd all received an N/A.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings grades: Offensive Line

Post by mansquatch »

I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone here.

I'm curious to see what they do at Tackle. Do they bring back Long? Kalil? I think Sirles will come back, he was serviceable as a backup and should beat out Clemmings for that role. But what do they do for starters?

In all honesty there just isn't much to say that hasn't already been said, they were awful and everyone knows they were awful. We probably won't see any movement here until Free Agency unless they make a coaching change.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone here.

I'm curious to see what they do at Tackle. Do they bring back Long? Kalil? I think Sirles will come back, he was serviceable as a backup and should beat out Clemmings for that role. But what do they do for starters?

In all honesty there just isn't much to say that hasn't already been said, they were awful and everyone knows they were awful. We probably won't see any movement here until Free Agency unless they make a coaching change.

If we see any movement before free agency, my guess is it would involve a new contract for Kalil.

I hope they don't bring back Long or Smith. Clemmings should be cut. In fact, if any of those 3 players are on the roster going into camp, I think it will be further indication of the team's inability to learn from their mistakes.

I can't remember a time when the Vikings OL was this unsettled, with no starting-caliber players signed at tackle. Heck, I barely see any starting-caliber players anywhere on the line!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

mansquatch wrote:I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone here.

I think Sirles has value because he played more than one position. The Vikings seem to like that with their players.
He got stuck at tackle due to injuries and he also filled in at both guard spots. This was only his first year starting.
If anything he will be a solid backup.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

halfgiz wrote:I think Sirles has value because he played more than one position. The Vikings seem to like that with their players.
He got stuck at tackle due to injuries and he also filled in at both guard spots. This was only his first year starting.
If anything he will be a solid backup.
I pretty much agree but Sirles has to be good at all the positions he plays. I thought he was so-so at best and bad at worst.

I find myself wishing the Vikings could bring in a completely new OL next season, including their backup players. I know it sounds harsh and it certainly is unrealistic but if Shurmur's offense is going to have any chance at succeeding, then the OL better win the battle in the trenches.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

No way they bring back Long.
LondonViking
Backup

Post by LondonViking »

I think they will sign Kalil back up for next year, but could we move Boone to LT and maybe grab a G (free agency or draft)?

Keep Hill, Easton and Sirles as backups.

Long and Smith released and Clemmings can be janitor or something.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Clemmings got a 1.5?

What does it take to be a 1.0? Actually carrying a matador's cape and screaming "Ole!" as the DE runs past?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Before Long went down he was starting to stabilize and play well. His Injury history is a big concern, but if they think he is over it, he is worth another look. He won't be expensive.

Kalil is similar to Long given the injury history, but will probably be more expensive.

Smith was already on a prove it deal, so if he comes back it will be on a cheaper prove it deal.

Of those three I think Long has the most upside, but that is assuming he can come back from yet another major injury.

The only good think about these three options is their cap numbers should be low. UGH...
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Clemmings got a 1.5?

What does it take to be a 1.0? Actually carrying a matador's cape and screaming "Ole!" as the DE runs past?
I was laughing at that also. I am scared to ask how he could actually be worse.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Clemmings got a 1.5?

That would have been more entertaining than what we saw this season.

Actually, I mis-typed his grade. He received a grade of 1.0. I've corrected it now.

I received a phone call right as I reached that point in typing the post this morning and foolishly tried to talk and finish the post at the same time. Inevitably, I screwed it up! :lol:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote: That would have been more entertaining than what we saw this season.

Actually, I mis-typed his grade. He received a grade of 1.0. I've corrected it now.

I received a phone call right as I reached that point in typing the post this morning and foolishly tried to talk and finish the post at the same time. Inevitably, I screwed it up! :lol:
What Jim is actually saying is that he felt that Clemmings deserved a better grade. :hitfan:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:What Jim is actually saying is that he felt that Clemmings deserved a better grade. :hitfan:
:spanking:
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Couple tackles who could be available
Ryan Clady, OT, Jets - he was on the IR this year and Jets will probably cut him.

Jason Peters, OT, Philadelphia Eagles - he could be a cap casualty .
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm curious if Berger graded out similarly at both C and G. If he can play G and Easton can play C, that would give them time to groom potential draftees/Sirles and focus on the tackle positions as the immediate concern.