Vikings and Scott Turner Part Ways

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings and Scott Turner Part Ways

Post by Funkytown »

Albert Breer ‏@albertbreer

Per source, the Vikings and QBs coach Scott Turner have parted ways. Was a tough situation they managed after Norv's departure.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings and Scott Turner Part Ways

Post by halfgiz »

Thanks for the update! Wonder who is next.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not surprising in the least. This always felt like nepotism to me. Hate to be so blunt, but what else can you say for a guy who had no resume prior to becoming the infamous "offensive quality control coordinator" for the Panthers, was hired by his dad in Cleveland, and followed his dad to Minnesota?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'll be watching closely to see where he ends up.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Not surprising in the least. This always felt like nepotism to me. Hate to be so blunt, but what else can you say for a guy who had no resume prior to becoming the infamous "offensive quality control coordinator" for the Panthers, was hired by his dad in Cleveland, and followed his dad to Minnesota?
between Scott Turner as Qb coach and Adam Zimmer as LB coach, it's been the nepotism coaching staff from the start. If the core staff is still together in a few years, maybe the Vikes will draft Pat Shurmur's son, Kyle, who plays QB at Vanderbilt. :tongue:

Does George Edwards have a son interested in coaching?

Seriously, I suspect most of us saw this decision coming after Norv left.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: between Scott Turner as Qb coach and Adam Zimmer as LB coach, it's been the nepotism coaching staff from the start. If the core staff is still together in a few years, maybe the Vikes will draft Pat Shurmur's son, Kyle, who plays QB at Vanderbilt. :tongue:

Norv's decision to leave mid season, even with his son currently on staff, is extremely interesting. That's the one story line from this season I would most like to know more about.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Norv's decision to leave mid season, even with his son currently on staff, is extremely interesting. That's the one story line from this season I would most like to know more about.
I would like to know a lot more about it. Norv Turner's decision to leave when he did was unusual and surprising. I suspect there's a lot about that story we don't know.

Regarding Scott Turner: it hasn't been specified in this thread yet but the reports are saying he was fired.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The real question, IMO, is what this means for TB? TB was the "Turner's Guy". They wanted him which is why the Vikings drafted him over Carr. Not sure if there will be an issue here or not. I'd think that TB would probably do better in a system like Shurmer's given his skill set anyways. But who knows?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
LondonViking
Backup

Post by LondonViking »

I still cannot work out why TB was ''Turners Guy'', as he never seemed to suit that system one bit compared to Carr.

Any way I digress, but not one bit surprised about Scott Turner getting the boot. Never been a fan of the jobs for the boys approach.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

LondonViking wrote:I still cannot work out why TB was ''Turners Guy'', as he never seemed to suit that system one bit compared to Carr.
I agree on this on all points but TB is who they targeted.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
LondonViking
Backup

Post by LondonViking »

I would take it as a positive for him as he wont be so much a round peg in a square hole now/when/if he comes back.

I like TB and was a fan pre-draft just didn't see how he matched into Norvs system.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: between Scott Turner as Qb coach and Adam Zimmer as LB coach, it's been the nepotism coaching staff from the start. If the core staff is still together in a few years, maybe the Vikes will draft Pat Shurmur's son, Kyle, who plays QB at Vanderbilt. :tongue:

In fairness to the Zimmers, the LBs are probably the best group on the team. They all seemed to play well this season, even with Barr's peculiar drop-off.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:In fairness to the Zimmers, the LBs are probably the best group on the team. They all seemed to play well this season, even with Barr's peculiar drop-off.
So they all played well this season except for one of the two primary starters at the position? ;)

I'm just giving you a hard time.

Whether Adam Zimmer is good at the job or not, hiring both he and Scott Turner was a pretty clear case of nepotism.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:The real question, IMO, is what this means for TB? TB was the "Turner's Guy". They wanted him which is why the Vikings drafted him over Carr. Not sure if there will be an issue here or not. I'd think that TB would probably do better in a system like Shurmer's given his skill set anyways. But who knows?
Until TB recovers and shows what he still can do (or no longer can do) I suspect he's not much of a consideration in the Vikings plans. They have to move forward without him, as if he can't play, until they find out if he can. IF he recovers and can play again, I imagine they'll take it from there but if Bradford stays healthy and plays well in 2017, I wouldn't expect to see Bridgewater in a Vikes uniform in 2018. It would be cost-prohibitive, unless they could convince him to tale backup QB money.

He has to recover. Until he does, I don't think he can be considered as a potential starter or a solid backup.

By the way, Ben Goessling has written a new article about TB's cloudy future:

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ins-cloudy