2015 Jerrick McKinnon vs 2016 Jerrick McKinnon

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

2015 Jerrick McKinnon vs 2016 Jerrick McKinnon

Post by fiestavike »

Didn't see any local write ups about this, but I'm sure I'm not alone in noticing a relative decrease in McKinnon's athleticism this year. Is this the result of injury, lingering recovery from offseason back surgery? Can we expect 2016 to be 'the new normal' for Jerrick? Did anybody remember reading anything about this that I missed? I just thought he really didn't look the same.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2015 Jerrick McKinnon vs 2016 Jerrick McKinnon

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I'm thinking the OL had a lot to do with his production but I thought he looked really good VS the Bears last week. Seemed like he was finally using his speed to his advantage.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Didn't see any local write ups about this, but I'm sure I'm not alone in noticing a relative decrease in McKinnon's athleticism this year. Is this the result of injury, lingering recovery from offseason back surgery? Can we expect 2016 to be 'the new normal' for Jerrick? Did anybody remember reading anything about this that I missed? I just thought he really didn't look the same.
He had an ankle injury in the middle of the season. I'm not sure how much that may have impacted his game but he certainly didn't look as explosive to me this season.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is just my opinion, but I do not think McKinnon possesses the durability to be a starting RB in the NFL. Every season he's seen a snap count commensurate with a starter he has ended up missing games due to injury. He can do some neat stuff with the football, but relying on him for a 16 game season and a post season run seems foolish.

I think there is a good chance that they are going to add a new RB to the roster this off season. Not sure if it'll come via FA or the draft. Also not sure if #28 is playing in purple next year.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think the team's "run straight up the middle as hard as you can" philosophy isn't really McKinnon's playing style. He's a shifty runner with good hands. That kind of scheme is wasted on him.