UK Expansion

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Holzberg
Practice Squad

UK Expansion

Post by Holzberg »

If the NFL expands to the UK, how would that even work?

The UK team would never have a Monday or Thursday night game because 7:30 PM CST here would be 3:30 AM there. Both USA and UK teams would have to adjust to 6 hours difference every weekend and teams already struggle with that going 3 hours across the states.

Plus, adding only one team breaks the 2x4x4 scheme the NFL has now. Unless a current team moved there, you would need 8 teams to even things out. Otherwise, how do you determine what division the new teams get added? Teams in that division and conference would have less of a chance to win the division and make the playoffs.

It would be nice to have new teams though... especially a Canadian team. But,
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: UK Expansion

Post by fiestavike »

Holzberg wrote: Unless a current team moved there, you would need 8 teams to even things out.
I've got a team in mind that would be perfectly suited for the assignment.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: I've got a team in mind that would be perfectly suited for the assignment.
What team?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

god that would make for some brutal road trips ....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

The chat over here is obviously building for this. The expectation is that it would work something like:

Base the team on the east coast somewhere like Miami for training, attracting players (and tax) purposes, then play their 8 home games in London in two four week slots, so they'd end up playing 4 home, 4 away and repeat.

You'd end up with 8 games in London, double the amount we have currently...but also 8 teams travelling which is what happens next season anyway.

Jaguars are the obvious team to move, especially as the owner already has a soccer team in London.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Poor London. First Brexit, now the Jaguars. :gone:
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

With the jetlag issue being really Brutal sometimes, I can't see it happening. First time I went to germany in the Air Force the Jet lag messed me up for days.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

The only way I would see this making any sort of logistical sense would be if they expanded it immediately to 5 teams; Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England or something and had them all play each other 3 times and one game each against an existing NFL team. The British League winner then gets a one off playoff game against, lets say, the highest rated team that missed the wildcard out of either division. They could then potentially play the team with the worst record in each round of the playoffs after that if they make it. It would throw a massive wrench into the playoffs but with the monstrous flight times I think they wont be able to half #### it or do it in steps. They either need to not do it at all or set up an entire overseas conference that only plays the NFL rarely and then at the end of the playoffs.