Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Treadwell hopes to make rookie season a distant memory

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And don't say "Well he could have played for Barr since he had a down year" because prior to this season, Barr was one of the better OLBs in the league so there was really no need to draft Jack.
Never once did I assert that he should have/would have played for Barr. Nor was I going to state we should have played Myles Jack over Anthony Barr. Finally, I never once suggested that we should have benched Barr this season. He had a bad year, but he is still well-above Lamur/Brothers/Cole/Robinson in terms of talent.

Bait attempt: 0/10

A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Jordysghost wrote: I think Jack would likely replace Greenway, in that scenario, whether immediately ir not.

Im one of those who took Myles off the board due to his injury.
But like I said, the WLB in Zims scheme isn't on the field very often. It's mostly Kendricks and Barr so thats my question is why would you want him when you don't have a defense that could really fit him in
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Never once did I assert that he should have/would have played for Barr. Nor was I going to state we should have played Myles Jack over Anthony Barr. Finally, I never once suggested that we should have benched Barr this season. He had a bad year, but he is still well-above Lamur/Brothers/Cole/Robinson in terms of talent.

Bait attempt: 0/10
Never once did I say you DID say that. I was saying that if you did try to say that, there still wouldnt be any reason to draft Jack. So no, I didnt try to "bait" you but good try
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: "Basket case"?? :confused:
Yeah, Im not sure if hes a basket case. Zim and Norv dont play anyone right away. Its almost by accident they put someone like Diggs in.

The fact remains, we KNEW Treadwell had issues like getting off the LoS and had no speed. And boy were they right
LondonViking
Backup

Post by LondonViking »

The guy is only 21 so give him time, I still believe that he will become a big redzone threat for us (something we all were crying out for this time last year with most of us saying go Oline in the second). Hopefully he will learn alot from this season, get his feet right and come back stronger and make some plays.

I know we all wanted him to come in a burn up the league but hell we have Playmakers in CP (2 odd seasons) and Wright (lately)that have been riding the hell out of that bench so I am willing to give the rookie a break. Zimmer doesnt like to play Rookies unless he has to and even then its very limited snaps.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

LondonViking wrote:The guy is only 21 so give him time, I still believe that he will become a big redzone threat for us (something we all were crying out for this time last year with most of us saying go Oline in the second). Hopefully he will learn alot from this season, get his feet right and come back stronger and make some plays.

I know we all wanted him to come in a burn up the league but hell we have Playmakers in CP (2 odd seasons) and Wright (lately)that have been riding the hell out of that bench so I am willing to give the rookie a break. Zimmer doesnt like to play Rookies unless he has to and even then its very limited snaps.
Except that Patterson was dynamic and Wright was helpful in their rookie years. Both rode the bench after the coaching change. In my view, Patterson could and should have played more the last two years and Wright should have played more often last season.

As for Treadwell, maybe he never gets his chance to shine. Maybe it will be because he can't get his NFL game together or maybe he'll be relegated to the bench for reasons we never know.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote: Except that Patterson was dynamic and Wright was helpful in their rookie years. Both rode the bench after the coaching change. In my view, Patterson could and should have played more the last two years and Wright should have played more often last season.

As for Treadwell, maybe he never gets his chance to shine. Maybe it will be because he can't get his NFL game together or maybe he'll be relegated to the bench for reasons we never know.
I highly highly doubt he "never gets his chance". 7th round picks sometimes never get a chance. Not first round picks.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm not Treadwell's biggest fan but I'm also not ready to write him off just yet. The one positive thing is he seems to have a very strong work ethic and he was very productive in the best college conference despite being slow. We have a ton of speed, I think all the other WR's are 4.4 guys, so that's not a major issue so long as he can run crisp routes and show good hands.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:I'm not Treadwell's biggest fan but I'm also not ready to write him off just yet. The one positive thing is he seems to have a very strong work ethic and he was very productive in the best college conference despite being slow. We have a ton of speed, I think all the other WR's are 4.4 guys, so that's not a major issue so long as he can run crisp routes and show good hands.
But there is slow, and then is there is not even able to get off the LoS when you get a chance. I think he is the slowest WR (not TE, FB, Etc.) Ive ever seen. To me he has another Rick bust written all over him. Hope I am wrong. I hope part of it Zimmer just being his usual self, and somehow Treadwell has to prove himself without ever seeing the field. They rarely use CJ, put Tread in his spot for a few quarters next year....if both are still here.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Holzberg wrote:I think we need a new WR coach.
There were questions about Treadwell.
Drafted for the offense he was drafted for?
How about we look at the GM before the WR coach...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I agree with the WR coach possibly being replaced... None of our WRs can get any separation other than Diggs and Thielen occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote: Except that Patterson was dynamic and Wright was helpful in their rookie years. Both rode the bench after the coaching change. In my view, Patterson could and should have played more the last two years and Wright should have played more often last season.

Let's not get too giddy over Patterson. I'm glad they used him more, but he still catches little except for bubble screens. Even against the Bears, when he caught a 39-yard pass early in the game, he did little else and cost his QB a pick when he got badly outfought by a 5-10 DB for a 50-50 ball. He was better this year, and he played hard, but overall he's still a disappointment to me. His value as a kick returner may be the only reason he's still a Viking.

Treadwell has a lot to prove. Maybe he'll join up with the Larry Fitzgerald crowd in the offseason and get better. We can only hope. First-round WR selection seems to be an a area where the Vikings have whiffed for quite a long time. Hoping Treadwell can turn it around and buck that trend.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Let's not get too giddy over Patterson. I'm glad they used him more, but he still catches little except for bubble screens. Even against the Bears, when he caught a 39-yard pass early in the game, he did little else and cost his QB a pick when he got badly outfought by a 5-10 DB for a 50-50 ball. He was better this year, and he played hard, but overall he's still a disappointment to me. His value as a kick returner may be the only reason he's still a Viking.
I'm not giddy over anyone on the Vikings right now but I sure do like the Patterson's playmaking abilities. Patterson is dangerous with the ball in his hands and to me that's something the Vikings can always use. He's the best kick returner in the league, yes, but also a good punt gunner and a good 3rd or 4th wide receiver. From what I've seen, CP has caught the ball on pass routes other than quick hits. I think a little more imagination in play calling and offensive coordination would benefit and diversify all the WRs on the team.

Just my two cents, but the Vikings will be making a mistake if they don't re-sign the guy. Patterson offers the team attributes they will always need. YMMV
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote: There were questions about Treadwell.
Drafted for the offense he was drafted for?
How about we look at the GM before the WR coach...
Basically, that's my take as well.

I really don't want to slam Treadwell but I feel he was a questionable draft pick.

I think it's obvious some misguided thinking went into overlooking OL players with the first pick.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

A couple of WR's with questionable separation speed issues that have done quite well in the NFL are Larry Fitzgerald and Anquon Boldin, I could see Treadwell developing in the mold of these guys as he has some of the same measurable's.