Giving up a 3rd for Joe Thomas

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Giving up a 3rd for Joe Thomas

Post by YikesVikes »

Listen,
I know we are all here sitting wishing that we still had that 1st rounder in our hands but that ship has sailed. Currently we have a 2nd and two 3rds. I think it would be a great idea to give up a 3rd for Joe Thomas. There is a very good chance that no one we select with one of our 3rds will play at Joe's Level for the next 5 years (my estimate of the length of his career). From Joe I am expecting 2 more All Pro/ Pro Bowl years, 2 solid, top 15 years and then an average year. The Browns were reportedly looking for a 2nd in the middle of the season for him and could be pressed to give up less with an off-season to plan for it. Such a move would also not pigeon-hold us to taking a OT in the 2nd round. Thoughts?
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Giving up a 3rd for Joe Thomas

Post by 720pete »

No.

We got Danielle Hunter and Jerick McKinnon with 3rd round picks.
Last edited by 720pete on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

ESPN......"We've got the right head coach ... the right management team," tackle Joe Thomas says, adding, "Things are looking up for the Cleveland Browns."

Anything can change......particularly if a team offers up a good package and a contender is interested.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I like the idea of a Joe Thomas also. But I think it will take more than a 3rd.
Maybe a 3rd and Wright??
In the regular season I think they was looking for at least a 2nd.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

YikesVikes wrote:Listen,
I know we are all here sitting wishing that we still had that 1st rounder in our hands but that ship has sailed. Currently we have a 2nd and two 3rds. I think it would be a great idea to give up a 3rd for Joe Thomas. There is a very good chance that no one we select with one of our 3rds will play at Joe's Level for the next 5 years (my estimate of the length of his career). From Joe I am expecting 2 more All Pro/ Pro Bowl years, 2 solid, top 15 years and then an average year. The Browns were reportedly looking for a 2nd in the middle of the season for him and could be pressed to give up less with an off-season to plan for it. Such a move would also not pigeon-hold us to taking a OT in the 2nd round. Thoughts?
Joe Thomas for a 3rd round pick? That would take a New York minute for me to pull the trigger on that one!
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

That would be done so fast it's not funny.
However, I doubt that he leaves for a 3rd...
But... If he did and we got him !!! That's a much better looking line. Imagine we also sign Ricky Wagner in FA.
Also if Harris returns...

LT - Thomas
LG - Boone
C - Berger
RG - Harris
RT - Wagner

Depth in Easton, Fusco, Hall, Shepherd, Sirles.
Maybe as someone suggested, in another thread, Clemmings can be a guard ?
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

how about a different joe? what about staley from the 49ers? with two 3rds and two 4ths this year i'm sure we could make something happen.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I could live with that also
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

There are at least 5 legitimate playoff teams with the goal to completely overhaul their lines this off season. Vikings really choose the worst year to discover this short fall. We're not picking up anyone cheap. So if an average talent becomes available, they better jump.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

joe h wrote:There are at least 5 legitimate playoff teams with the goal to completely overhaul their lines this off season. Vikings really choose the worst year to discover this short fall. We're not picking up anyone cheap. So if an average talent becomes available, they better jump.

The ONLY silver lining there is pieces for those teams that might not be good enough could be a huge improvement for us.

A simplistic example of what I mean;
A rank 19 Oline wanting to get to rank 12 is not going to sign a Rank 20 player. But that Rank 20 player on our rank 32 Oline will have a MASSIVE impact.

We don't need an elite Oline, we need an average to slightly below average one. You shave even 10% of the sacks, hits, and hurries off of Bradford we could have had a much better year.