Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by mosscarter »

bell is one failed drug test away from a year long suspension. so, don't expect him to get paid big bucs like it appears he will on the surface. with as many other issues that need addressed with this team, i'm all for bringing back peterson. i know it will all come down to money, but does anyone realistically think we can build a line and find a running back all in one season without a first round pick? i'd say the word for that is: impossible.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Holzberg wrote:I think 5mil with a 3mil bonus if he doesnt get injured and is available 90+% of the time.
A 3 million bonus if he doesn't get injured? I doubt any player has ever had an incentive bonus for not getting hurt. An incentive should be for a player reaching some kind of statistic. Not getting injured would have an opposite effect in that the player would not put forth their best effort for fear of being injured. The only way a player can avoid getting hurt is if the don't play or if they avoid contact and even that doesn't always work (ie. Teddy Bridgewater).
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

At the risk of being very unpopular, I'll be the contrarian here. I'm ready to move on.

Don't get me wrong. I love Adrian Peterson. No player has given me more thrills. Heck, the two games in his rookie season -- the 254 against Chicago and the 296 against San Diego -- were enough to make him among my top 3 Vikings of all time.

But he should not be the focal point of this team's offense anymore, and if he's on the team, he'll be the focal point. He commands something like the Randy Ratio. Notice I didn't say he "demands" to be the focal point. It's not him saying, "Give me carries. Give me touches." But his mere presence, simply who he is -- it commands that kind of focus. Not only do I not think this team is built for it, but I also don't think he's capable of it anymore.

It's not about the money for me. This team needs to move forward and build around a more diverse offensive attack.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I'd pass unless he really is 100% healthy (from outside sources verifying this), his mind is in the right place, and he is willing to take a big paycut (and not consider it an insult. I love AD but I am ready to move on, to a cheaper, younger version, while we fix this Oline.

^And what Kapp said.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Let's see, He is not a threat receiving passes, he can't pass block or pick up a blitz, he has to come out on third down and long , he's been injured twice in his knees. Remind me, again why he earns all this Money? Is it really Viable to believe he can still make many of those long runs anymore?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:At the risk of being very unpopular, I'll be the contrarian here. I'm ready to move on.
I'm not sure that's actually the contrarian view at this point. I get the feeling it's the more popular view.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm sick of the stupid comments and stupid things he has done ...

I give him mad respect as to his natural talents.. but lets be honest
the guy is a moron and is pretty much done due to age ... move on please

he deserves to be in the Vikings ring of honor and probably HOF

he also deserves to retire or play somewhere else given his current ability
and stupid comments....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:At the risk of being very unpopular, I'll be the contrarian here. I'm ready to move on.

Don't get me wrong. I love Adrian Peterson. No player has given me more thrills. Heck, the two games in his rookie season -- the 254 against Chicago and the 296 against San Diego -- were enough to make him among my top 3 Vikings of all time.

But he should not be the focal point of this team's offense anymore, and if he's on the team, he'll be the focal point. He commands something like the Randy Ratio. Notice I didn't say he "demands" to be the focal point. It's not him saying, "Give me carries. Give me touches." But his mere presence, simply who he is -- it commands that kind of focus. Not only do I not think this team is built for it, but I also don't think he's capable of it anymore.

It's not about the money for me. This team needs to move forward and build around a more diverse offensive attack.

Solid, well said! It is about the money too for me, I don't think he is worth a whole lot at 32 with 3 major knees in his past and only being a 2 down back. There's a lot to be said for youth at the running back position. Father time has taken down some great RB and its hard to believe AP is going to break that cycle. Its a deep draft this year for RB's and it would be a good idea for the team to make a move in the draft.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I'm not sure that's actually the contrarian view at this point. I get the feeling it's the more popular view.
Well, up to my post, most of the replies were about creative ways we could keep him.

My view is that I don't want to keep him. Not even at $1 million per season. And honestly, I feel really guilty saying that.

The guy is, in my mind, among the top 5 running backs of all time. Those two games his rookie season against Chicago and San Diego -- I've never seen anything like it, and I'm pretty sure I never will again. It was like he could run for any yardage he wanted. Heck, the San Diego game, they took him out of the game as soon as he broke the record -- there were still several minutes left in the game. He could've run for 320 or more easily. And that 2012 season, well, it was nothing short of miraculous. Greatest season-long effort I've ever seen from a single player. The very definition of an MVP. The Vikings were probably a 2-3 win team without him.

But when a player's legend and legacy become the focal point, that's when I feel like it's time to move on. He's not the same back he used to be, but his history and "who he is" demands that he get the ball. If we want to actually get better, we need to diversify. It sucks, but Father Time stops for no one.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Well, up to my post, most of the replies were about creative ways we could keep him.

My view is that I don't want to keep him. Not even at $1 million per season. And honestly, I feel really guilty saying that.

The guy is, in my mind, among the top 5 running backs of all time. Those two games his rookie season against Chicago and San Diego -- I've never seen anything like it, and I'm pretty sure I never will again. It was like he could run for any yardage he wanted. Heck, the San Diego game, they took him out of the game as soon as he broke the record -- there were still several minutes left in the game. He could've run for 320 or more easily. And that 2012 season, well, it was nothing short of miraculous. Greatest season-long effort I've ever seen from a single player. The very definition of an MVP. The Vikings were probably a 2-3 win team without him.

But when a player's legend and legacy become the focal point, that's when I feel like it's time to move on. He's not the same back he used to be, but his history and "who he is" demands that he get the ball. If we want to actually get better, we need to diversify. It sucks, but Father Time stops for no one.
I agree with your take and I agree with Moth, that your take is more popular than you seem to think. I'd guess it's about 50-50 on this board.
I think we are stronger without him and we can use that money in FA.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I agree with your take and I agree with Moth, that your take is more popular than you seem to think. I'd guess it's about 50-50 on this board.
I think we are stronger without him and we can use that money in FA.
I'm not convinced the Vikes will make more than a perfunctory offer to him anyway (if that). I suspect their relationship is over and Peterson will play elsewhere next year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: I'm not convinced the Vikes will make more than a perfunctory offer to him anyway (if that). I suspect their relationship is over and Peterson will play elsewhere next year.
I could see him in NE or Seattle to try to get a ring.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I could see him in NE or Seattle to try to get a ring. I also think that the Giants might have an interest as they don't really have a featured back. Lacey is a UFA and maybe the Packers are sick of him and would look at other options, in the AFC I could see the Ravens and the Raiders showing interest. The Ravens don't have a feature RB and Oakland's Murray is a UFA in 2017.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I'm not convinced the Vikes will make more than a perfunctory offer to him anyway (if that). I suspect their relationship is over and Peterson will play elsewhere next year.
I'm thinking the same thing, Jim.

I completely get where Kapp is coming from and his points are valid, and I also like some of the counter offers some are suggesting.

But honestly, I think Peterson's fate with the team has already been decided and the Vikings plan to move on.
Muqali
Practice Squad

Post by Muqali »

From an organizational standpoint I think you have him take a paycut but still pay him "more than he is worth" for 2 reasons.

He brings the organization revenue.

He adds a lot in terms of team morale. Work ethic is contagious. Much like the way the entire team played for Favre, on some level they will do the same with Peterson, especially rookies.