2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by Just Me »

I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Minnesota Vikings sign 9 players to Reserve/Futures contracts
It doesn’t get much lighter than Reserve/Futures contracts, of which the Minnesota Vikings have officially announced the signing of 9 players to the team:

Mortiz Bohringer, wide receiver
Cayleb Jones, wide receiver
Bishop Sankey, running back
Kyle Carter, tight end
Marquis Lucas, tackle
Austin Shepherd, tackle
Sterling Bailey, defensive tackle
Tre Roberson, corner back
Cedric Thompson, safety
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Sankey was pretty highly regarded at one point, so that's interesting. I'm guessing the Vikings plan at OT next year will involve Kalil and A. Smith as Plan A, Rashod Hill and Jeremiah Sirles as plan B, and TJ Clemmings and some futures contracts and undrafted rookies as plan C. If they'd skip Plan A all together and add the best FA OT they can get to the equation, along with the best RG they can get in FA they might be respectable. In any case, I don't think they'll draft an OL early. I think they have a draft policy to avoid OL until Round 3/4.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Sankey was pretty highly regarded at one point, so that's interesting. I'm guessing the Vikings plan at OT next year will involve Kalil and A. Smith as Plan A, Rashod Hill and Jeremiah Sirles as plan B, and TJ Clemmings and some futures contracts and undrafted rookies as plan C. If they'd skip Plan A all together and add the best FA OT they can get to the equation, along with the best RG they can get in FA they might be respectable. In any case, I don't think they'll draft an OL early. I think they have a draft policy to avoid OL until Round 3/4.
They certainly seem reluctant to draft o-linemen before Day 3 but so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they waited until at least round 3 (or day 3) to draft one this year. It's especially easy to imagine them parting ways with Floyd and drafting a DT in R2.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: They certainly seem reluctant to draft o-linemen before Day 3 but so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they waited until at least round 3 (or day 3) to draft one this year. It's especially easy to imagine them parting ways with Floyd and drafting a DT in R2.
I wouldn't think so. We still have Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson that can easily fill that spot. And Floyd is still under contract. I see no need for it right now
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I wouldn't think so. We still have Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson that can easily fill that spot. And Floyd is still under contract. I see no need for it right now
They're both situational players who provide minimal pass rush or push inside. Neither is under contract beyond 2017 and Johnson is 32. I don't think either projects as a long term starter either. If they move on from Floyd, it's not hard at all to imagine them choosing to draft a DT early, especially because they've tended to emphasize defense since Zimmer arrived.

I'm not saying it's what they should do. I'm saying it wouldn't surprise me.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
They're both situational players who provide minimal pass rush or push inside. Neither is under contract beyond 2017 and Johnson is 32. I don't think either projects as a long term starter either. If they move on from Floyd, it's not hard at all to imagine them choosing to draft a DT early, especially because they've tended to emphasize defense since Zimmer arrived.

I would say Johnson provides a little more than "minimal pass rush". I think Stephen could be a long term starter. I wouldn't say he hurt us this year.

And just like I previously said, I think Zimmer is well aware of what the problems were this year. I have a feeling he won't be so focused on defense this year. He's spent the last 3 years filling the gaping holes that were left there by Leslie Frazier
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I would say Johnson provides a little more than "minimal pass rush". I think Stephen could be a long term starter. I wouldn't say he hurt us this year.

And just like I previously said, I think Zimmer is well aware of what the problems were this year. I have a feeling he won't be so focused on defense this year. He's spent the last 3 years filling the gaping holes that were left there by Leslie Frazier
:rofl:

I think you meant Rick Spielman. You know, the GM who had been officially in charge of the roster for 2 years at that point and conducting the team's drafts for 7 years? That guy.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: They certainly seem reluctant to draft o-linemen before Day 3 but so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they waited until at least round 3 (or day 3) to draft one this year. It's especially easy to imagine them parting ways with Floyd and drafting a DT in R2.
They are a bit thin at DT with Johnson being the only quality depth guy so certainly not improbable. I do think (hope?) they still go tackle in round 2 or 3 at the very latest. Both Kalil & Loadholt were 1st & 2nd round picks so I don't know that there's reluctance to draft early, especially tackles. Interior lineman there's definitely been precedent of waiting until latter rounds.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:They are a bit thin at DT with Johnson being the only quality depth guy so certainly not improbable. I do think (hope?) they still go tackle in round 2 or 3 at the very latest. Both Kalil & Loadholt were 1st & 2nd round picks so I don't know that there's reluctance to draft early, especially tackles. Interior lineman there's definitely been precedent of waiting until latter rounds.
Good point. Spielman has been willing to draft a tackle in the early rounds in the past.

Depending on what happens with Newman and Munnerlyn, I could see even see them drafting a CB as early as R2.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont really consider that "humiliating". He said he needs to improve in all areas. I'm sure he would say that about 98% of guys on this team. Thats just his mentality
I'm with you PHP. He wasnt trying to humiliate Barr. Barr had a slow year, a lot of thing he could have done better. Zimmer was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer. I saw all year Barr looked slow and even looked like he took off plays. But then I also hope zimmer tones a few things down, like his non stop cussing.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

With Shamar Stephen and Johnson playing as well as they did, we wonnt even miss Floyd. Mainly cause he never played. I think those 2 can do fine, get rid of Floyd, and find a replacement fairly easy, if need be.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Congratulations to Cordarrelle Patterson:

Cordarrelle Patterson named All-Pro kick returner for second time in career
Patterson, who led the league averaging 31.7 yards per kick return, has been named the first-team All-Pro kick returner by the Associated Press for the 2016 season.

It’s Patterson’s second such honor, also being named the league’s top returner as a rookie in 2013. This season, Patterson became the only player in league history to lead the league in kickoff return average for three different seasons.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:Congratulations to Cordarrelle Patterson:

Cordarrelle Patterson named All-Pro kick returner for second time in career
He was a bright spot. I was happy to see him succeed. I still would have liked to see him utilized more in the offense, but at least we can see what he is capable of. He looks a lot bigger and stronger now.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:

Even if they Keep Floyd, they have to acknowledge that he is not only injury prone but shockingly inconsistent. Just when he starts to look elite he'll start spinning himself out of position against the run, creating gaping holes or have an inexplicably slow motor performance. I don't think he can be counted on as anything other than high upside depth at this juncture. Shamar Stephen is fundamentally sound enough to be considered the starting DT for next season, and I think that does indicate there is a need at the position.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins