Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

It makes you wonder what Bradford could do if he was under the same OC for 3-4 years.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote: Bradfords OC.

Rams.
Year 1 Shurmer
Year 2. Daniels.
Year 3. Schottenhiemer
Year 4. Schottenhieber
2014. did not play

Eagles Shurmer

Vikings Turner/Shurmer.

Yup, consistency in an OC at it's finest.
It's a lot like what Cutler has had in Chicago. Playing in the same system for the same OC 3-4 years in a row might greatly benefit Bradford but of course, that also makes it crucial for the Vikings to pick the right OC. I don't think they should go with Shurmur just because of his history with Bradford.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Regarding Bridgewater's 5th year option:

Last year, the deadline to pick up 5th year options was May 2nd. I don't know if that changes from year to year but if it's still in May, rather than in March when the league year begins, that would give the Vikes a few more months to see how Bridgewater's rehab is going. That said, if the Vikings picked up that option, Bridgewater's salary in 2018 would be the average of the 3rd through 25th highest salaries at his position. That's likely to be a pretty substantial amount so all things considered, I think the Vikes would be foolish to pick up his option.

Bridgewater's cap hit in 2017 is about 2.1 million, which is manageable for a backup QB. However, his ability to actually play has to be a consideration too and the Vikes would be wise to prepare as if he's not going to be available.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

We could have Joe Montana under center and people on this board will still complain about our QB situation.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

720pete wrote:We could have Joe Montana under center and people on this board will still complain about our QB situation.
:lol: touché
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

The Packers had 16 years with Brett Favre and are just finishing the 9th year with Rodgers, thats 25 years of hall of fame QB play, we have had a major drought of even good QB play in Minnesota. So yes i'm somewhat encouraged with Bradford given with the terrible O line play he has had.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: :lol: touché

I mean, he is pretty old now...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote: I mean, he is pretty old now...
Now that deserves a "touché"! :lol:
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

720pete wrote:We could have Joe Montana under center and people on this board will still complain about our QB situation.
Sorry, Joe is 60. No thank you.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

My feeling is that with his arm and accuracy, coupled with our receiving talent, Bradford needs two things to excel.
1. Something remotely resembling an offensive line.
2. Some consistency in who his coordinator is -- something he's never had.

No. 2 is easy. Keep Shurmur. The first one might take a miracle, given where we're starting from.
The money post right here folks....easy decision to keep Shurmur but I'm sure I will get flamed by many for my opinion. Same thought process......I'm with ya Kapp :appl:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

autobon7 wrote: The money post right here folks....easy decision to keep Shurmur but I'm sure I will get flamed by many for my opinion. Same thought process......I'm with ya Kapp :appl:

I'm not going to flame you but to me the decision to keep Shurmur is too easy. I understand Kapp's point about the benefits of continuity for Bradford but Shurmur's track record leaves a LOT to be desired. As a playcaller and/or head coach, his offenses have finished with rankings of 29, 26, 29 , 25 and 30 (the last one represents this year, so it's not quite finished yet). Those are yardage rankings. In points rankings, his offenses have finished 32, 26, 30, 24 and this year's offense is currently 26th.

In other words, when not the OC for Chip Kelly (who installed his own system and called the plays in Philadelphia), Shurmur's never coached an offense that finished with a ranking higher than 24th out of 32. In Philly, he was in the kind of role current Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards currently has under Mike Zimmer. That's not insignificant but I don't think we can consider it representative of what Shurmur himself brings to an offense when he's put in charge.

I really hope the Vikings look elsewhere for a new OC.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote:
I'm not going to flame you but to me the decision to keep Shurmur is too easy. I understand Kapp's point about the benefits of continuity for Bradford but Shurmur's track record leaves a LOT to be desired. As a playcaller and/or head coach, his offenses have finished with rankings of 29, 26, 29 , 25 and 30 (the last one represents this year, so it's not quite finished yet). Those are yardage rankings. In points rankings, his offenses have finished 32, 26, 30, 24 and this year's offense is currently 26th.

In other words, when not the OC for Chip Kelly (who installed his own system and called the plays in Philadelphia), Shurmur's never coached an offense that finished with a ranking higher than 24th out of 32. In Philly, he was in the kind of role current Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards currently has under Mike Zimmer. That's not insignificant but I don't think we can consider it representative of what Shurmur himself brings to an offense when he's put in charge.

Wow. Those numbers are NOT encouraging. I think you might be changing my opinion on this one.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:

Totally understand your sentiments. I admit to having no overall seasonal statistical evidence to support Shurmur. I just have my eyes and my opinion.

It really has to do with the passing game. Wth this line, I'm actually amazed at what they've managed to accomplish through the air. It's almost gone unnoticed, but with 373 yards Sunday against the Bears, Sam Bradford would surpass 4,000 for the season -- and he didn't even play the first game. We've only had ONE 3,000-yard passer in the past SEVEN years. Also, Adam Thielen and Cordarrelle Patterson have flourished under Shurmur, and Kyle Rudolph is quietly having a very good season. Four players are likely to exceed Stefon Diggs' team-leading 52 receptions from 2015, and we have a shot at having two 1,000-yard receivers -- first time since Moss-Carter. Finally, while the offense under Shurmur was dink-and-dunk in the beginning, they've taken a number of successful shots downfield the past few weeks (mostly to Adam Thielen). I'd like to see what Sam and Co. can do with an off-season of continuity (and hopefully some better talent on the O-line).

Of course, the other factor is that we have had 14 players on IR this season. Our offensive line, not particularly stellar to begin with, has been held together with duct tape and baling wire. Yet I've seen this team move the ball very well at times. Obviously we stink in the red zone. We have no running game, which cannot be blamed on Shurmur, so it takes away the balance we need, especially in the red zone.

That being said, I certainly would understand if they went a different direction. I just see something in the passing game that I like.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Right now I would feel better know Shurmur would be OC, then i ever felt about Norv. I at least hope he gets a good hard look.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Right now I would feel better know Shurmur would be OC, then i ever felt about Norv. I at least hope he gets a good hard look.
Agreed. Also, Mike McCoy was fired by SD today and I'm guessing Whisenhunt will go too. Both of these guys would be solid OC's to bring in. McCoy is one of the better offensive minds in the NFL
-Chazz Palminteri