First live game in 56 years this Sunday

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

gregor70
Waterboy

First live game in 56 years this Sunday

Post by gregor70 »

I am probably not what you would consider a bandwagoneer. The first and last Vikings game I have been able to attend was August 1961. They played the Cowboys in an exhibition game and lost. Only a few thousand tickets were sold because people didn't want to pay to see a game their kid wasn't in! It was in Sioux Falls SD at the local high school stadium.

My son is taking me to this Sunday's Chicago game as a Christmas present. To say I am excited would be an understatement! Win lose or draw GO VIKES!!

Greg Rich
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: First live game in 56 years this Sunday

Post by Jordysghost »

gregor70 wrote:I am probably not what you would consider a bandwagoneer. The first and last Vikings game I have been able to attend was August 1961. They played the Cowboys in an exhibition game and lost. Only a few thousand tickets were sold because people didn't want to pay to see a game their kid wasn't in! It was in Sioux Falls SD at the local high school stadium.

My son is taking me to this Sunday's Chicago game as a Christmas present. To say I am excited would be an understatement! Win lose or draw GO VIKES!!

Greg Rich
Interesting, have fun man! Good luck!
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Have a great time. You are going to LOVE U.S. Bank Stadium!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Have fun! You will enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Awesome stadium. I am from NY and flew over for the Houston game this year. It was loud as hell in there but we were also 4-0 at the time. Cant imagine it would be as loud as that game but you'll be in for a great experience either way
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Have a fantastic time, Greg!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

New stadium is amazing. Go a little early if you can so you can walk around. Hope you get to see the first win in 2017!
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

That's awesome! I was thinking about going to that game too. I just don't feel like driving form grand forks.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

gregor70 wrote:I am probably not what you would consider a bandwagoneer. The first and last Vikings game I have been able to attend was August 1961. They played the Cowboys in an exhibition game and lost. Only a few thousand tickets were sold because people didn't want to pay to see a game their kid wasn't in! It was in Sioux Falls SD at the local high school stadium.

Greg Rich
That is awesome......hope the Viks win for you (and for everyone of course) Please post back and let us know about your experience. I have seen the Viks play 5 times but in St Louis (local in IL) but as we all know that wont be happening anymore. Skol Vikings
gregor70
Waterboy

Post by gregor70 »

Oh my goodness! What an overwhelming day! We were 10 rows from the top and I loved it. A very birds eye view ( more like watching a high school game). Nice to be able to see everything that is happening on the field. Will give a whole new outlook to watching on tv. We were with my 11 year old grandson who is Autistic and could tell me almost every player on every team in the NFL! We are especially proud of young Thielen because he is from our neck of the woods. Also interesting what happens during the commercials. This was an absolutely AWESOME day for me! One more thing checked of the old bucket list with not much time left. Thanks for your friendly posts.

An Original Vikings Fan

greg
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

gregor70 wrote:Oh my goodness! What an overwhelming day! We were 10 rows from the top and I loved it. A very birds eye view ( more like watching a high school game). Nice to be able to see everything that is happening on the field. Will give a whole new outlook to watching on tv. We were with my 11 year old grandson who is Autistic and could tell me almost every player on every team in the NFL! We are especially proud of young Thielen because he is from our neck of the woods. Also interesting what happens during the commercials. This was an absolutely AWESOME day for me! One more thing checked of the old bucket list with not much time left. Thanks for your friendly posts.

An Original Vikings Fan

greg
I'm truly happy for you, man. Really am. I've been a fan since 1969, when I was 9 years old. Going to games has been a once-a-year thing for me for about the past 12 years, and every time I go, it's the highlight of my year. This year it was especially amazing because of the stadium. What a marvel.

Also glad they won for you. And your grandson -- that is so cool. You can't imagine the effect this will have on him. My dad took me to my first game in 1970. The Vikings blew out the Colts, and Joe Kapp threw 7 TD passes. I've been a live-and-die-with-the-Vikings fan ever since. Someday he'll talk about the day his grandpa took him to see the Purple.

So awesome!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Holzberg
Practice Squad

Post by Holzberg »

I hope you had a great time!

That would be amazing to see a game in the 1961 and then another in 2016. Two different worlds.

I took my kids to the Vikings-Lions game in 2009 so hopefully they can experience the same thing you have :)

I wonder what football will be like in 55 years. It will probably be all robots or cyborgs playing to reduce injuries and CTE.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Glad you were able to check it off the bucket list and see a win! You might be good luck and need to go to more games next year :wink: