Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by mosscarter »

we have two receivers on the brink of 1,000 yards i'd stay bradford did one hell of a job considering the circumstances this year. nobody can play behind a line like that. with that said, we have a lot of holes to fill this off season on offense. we basically need an entire line and who will be our rb? you have to keep in mind, bradford put up better numbers than bridgewater did last year and he had a 1,500 yard season from peterson. our running game was non-existent this year; dead last i believe last i read. how much can you expect out of such a disaster of an offensive scheme and line?
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

IF I was Bradford, or any other QB who was marketable. I would avoid Minnesota like the plague....the OL is atrocious and the GM shows no ability or interest in aggressively fixing our line. The RB position is not great either. If Spielman doesnt fix this Bradford will elave as soon as his contract is up.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

losperros wrote:I'll go along with Zimmer about Bradford playing well for the Vikings. Bradford has had to dodge a lot negative dynamics with this current offense, so I don't blame him for its futility or the the team's slide from 5-0 to where it is now.

That said, I'm hoping Zimmer doesn't just anoint Bradford as the starting QB. I still want Bradford to compete with a "healthy" (if possible) Bridgewater during the next preseason to firmly establish which guy should be playing. Whoever gets the starting spot shouldn't have to be looking over his shoulder during the games.
But what do you do with Teddy's 5th year option? How do you pick up a $10+mil bill in March when A) You don't know when he'll be ready to play and B) If he's your long term answer?

And if you don't pick it up there won't be any competition because by then Bradford is already guaranteed $17 mil.

I think they have to let Teddy walk and the sooner the better for all concerned. Those who want Teddy to be the #1 over Sam will soon find out that his market will be very, very small and before you say "yeah because he's coming off the injury..." I would remind you that coming off 2 ACL's the Rams got a boat load from Philly and Philly got a 1 & 3 from MN. Teddy would be lucky to bring back a 3rd or 4th round pick. Just being honest here and Sam does not need competition to play his best, he had none this year and was very good. Fix the darn OL, bring in a young back and this offense is ready to rock....dare I say what could be IF Treadwell ever gets up to speed?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

RFIP wrote: But what do you do with Teddy's 5th year option? How do you pick up a $10+mil bill in March when A) You don't know when he'll be ready to play and B) If he's your long term answer?

And if you don't pick it up there won't be any competition because by then Bradford is already guaranteed $17 mil.

I think they have to let Teddy walk and the sooner the better for all concerned. Those who want Teddy to be the #1 over Sam will soon find out that his market will be very, very small and before you say "yeah because he's coming off the injury..." I would remind you that coming off 2 ACL's the Rams got a boat load from Philly and Philly got a 1 & 3 from MN. Teddy would be lucky to bring back a 3rd or 4th round pick. Just being honest here and Sam does not need competition to play his best, he had none this year and was very good. Fix the darn OL, bring in a young back and this offense is ready to rock....dare I say what could be IF Treadwell ever gets up to speed?
Isn't next year only Teddy's 4th year?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Yes , next year is his fourth season,I hope he will be able to compete in training camp, but I have my doubts.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

soflavike wrote: I agree, but you have to add one more problem area this season: atrocious efficiency in the red zone. Not all his fault, but still.
This stat goes hand-in-hand with ZERO run game.

How effective do you think the Cowboys would be in the red-zone even WITH Dez at wr if they had to pass it every single red zone play? Not very...

Fix the OL, bring in a young back and the sky is the limit with Sam and this offense, this TEAM for that matter.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Isn't next year only Teddy's 4th year?
Yes but when his 4th year starts (March of 2017) you must "declare" if you are then going to pick up his FIFTH YEAR option.

I can't see how the Vikings possibly pick up Teddy's option.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

mosscarter wrote:we have two receivers on the brink of 1,000 yards i'd stay bradford did one hell of a job considering the circumstances this year. nobody can play behind a line like that. with that said, we have a lot of holes to fill this off season on offense. we basically need an entire line and who will be our rb? you have to keep in mind, bradford put up better numbers than bridgewater did last year and he had a 1,500 yard season from peterson. our running game was non-existent this year; dead last i believe last i read. how much can you expect out of such a disaster of an offensive scheme and line?
Could you imagine Bradford with Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph if he had the 2015 version of AP in the back field?

As it stands now there is zero play-action ability so almost everything accomplished is done so from the gun with no threat of the pass.

My goodness...when I think of how good this offense could be...

Think of all the deep balls to Thielen and Diggs this year? I mean Bradford has hardly missed on ANY open opportunites and even the tight coverage ones (Johnson in CAR, Thielen and Johnson v Dallas) the ball was right where it had to be.

Honestly the only "open" deep ball I can recall Sam missing all year was "just" off Diggs fingers in Chicago.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Reign wrote: Hard to say it's something he's never had when Shurmur was his OC in St. Louis in 2010 and last year in Philadelphia.
You're kidding, right?

Sam Bradford has had a change of offensive coordinator seven times in his NFL career. He had three different OCs in his first three years in the league (Pat Shurmur, Josh McDaniels, Brian Schottenheimer -- about as different in philosophy as you can get). This year alone, he played for three different OCs (Frank Reich, Norv Turner, Pat Shurmur).

Just because he's played for Shurmur 3 times doesn't mean he's had consistency.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:IF I was Bradford, or any other QB who was marketable. I would avoid Minnesota like the plague....the OL is atrocious and the GM shows no ability or interest in aggressively fixing our line. The RB position is not great either. If Spielman doesnt fix this Bradford will elave as soon as his contract is up.
I don't agree with that whatsoever and no player is going to look at it like that. It was the clear problem with this team this year. If it's not addressed this offseason, I have no problem eating crow. I put it in perspective in my mock and it is very doable. Especially if we let go AP.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I don't agree with that whatsoever and no player is going to look at it like that. It was the clear problem with this team this year. If it's not addressed this offseason, I have no problem eating crow. I put it in perspective in my mock and it is very doable. Especially if we let go AP.
Not to mention ... we've got one of the best stadiums in the world. And despite our dissatisfaction with Mike Zimmer this season, he's still regarded by tons of players as somebody you'd want to play for.

We've got a lot going for us, despite the stench of the past 10 games.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

RFIP wrote:
This stat goes hand-in-hand with ZERO run game.

How effective do you think the Cowboys would be in the red-zone even WITH Dez at wr if they had to pass it every single red zone play? Not very...

Fix the OL, bring in a young back and the sky is the limit with Sam and this offense, this TEAM for that matter.
Agree 100%
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

RFIP wrote: Yes but when his 4th year starts (March of 2017) you must "declare" if you are then going to pick up his FIFTH YEAR option.

I can't see how the Vikings possibly pick up Teddy's option.
I wonder if there is some kind of injury clause that could be enacted? That is a LOT of money to pay someone who you don't know if they will even play again.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Purple Reign wrote: Hard to say it's something he's never had when Shurmur was his OC in St. Louis in 2010 and last year in Philadelphia.
Bradfords OC.

Rams.
Year 1 Shurmer
Year 2. Daniels.
Year 3. Schottenhiemer
Year 4. Schottenhieber
2014. did not play

Eagles Shurmer

Vikings Turner/Shurmer.

Yup, consistency in an OC at it's finest.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Raptorman wrote: Bradfords OC.

Rams.
Year 1 Shurmer
Year 2. Daniels.
Year 3. Schottenhiemer
Year 4. Schottenhieber
2014. did not play

Eagles Shurmer

Vikings Turner/Shurmer.

Yup, consistency in an OC at it's finest.
Don't forget Frank Reich this year all through training camp and preseason.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.