Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/28/vi ... mmer-says/
“I think he’s played really remarkable, considering all the things that have gone on with the trade and coaches and terminology, and having to come in here and learn,” Zimmer said of Bradford. “He’s got a chance to break the NFL record for completion percentage. His quarterback rating (98.3) is the best of his career. There are so many things. I think he’s having a great year. And if we won more games, I think people would be talking about him a lot more.”
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zimmer: Vikings QB Sam Bradford having ‘amazing’ season

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Interesting thanks for posting

Our first indicator of what direction the team wants to go in the offseason

Do you think it's reasonable to project his view of Bradford onto Shurmur?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Interesting thanks for posting

Our first indicator of what direction the team wants to go in the offseason

Do you think it's reasonable to project his view of Bradford onto Shurmur?
Probably. There's actually an article at the PP site about that too:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/28/vi ... ordinator/
“I’m all for it,” Bradford said of Shurmur staying as offensive coordinator. “Obviously, me and Pat have been together. We were together my rookie year (in St. Louis); we were together in Philadelphia. I just really enjoy working with him. I think he has a great mind. I’ve learned a lot from him. I owe a lot to Pat, and it has been really fun getting back and having him call the plays.”

The Vikings are 2-6 since Shurmur replaced Turner. But Zimmer said he has kept a list of offensive statistics that he values since Shurmur took over.

“Most every area has improved,” Zimmer said.

But he said a decision on Shurmur’s status won’t be made until after the season ends with Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I'll go along with Zimmer about Bradford playing well for the Vikings. Bradford has had to dodge a lot negative dynamics with this current offense, so I don't blame him for its futility or the the team's slide from 5-0 to where it is now.

That said, I'm hoping Zimmer doesn't just anoint Bradford as the starting QB. I still want Bradford to compete with a "healthy" (if possible) Bridgewater during the next preseason to firmly establish which guy should be playing. Whoever gets the starting spot shouldn't have to be looking over his shoulder during the games.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

thats like saying your run of the mill average student is "amazing" because he got a few A's in basic courses......Bradford is a good quarterback with clear limitations. Right now, saying ANYONE on our team is "amazing" this year is just trying to put lipstick on a pig. NOTHING about this team is amazing except the utter failures of Spielman and our OL.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:thats like saying your run of the mill average student is "amazing" because he got a few A's in basic courses......Bradford is a good quarterback with clear limitations. Right now, saying ANYONE on our team is "amazing" this year is just trying to put lipstick on a pig. NOTHING about this team is amazing except the utter failures of Spielman and our OL.
What limitations does the guy have other than not being able to scramble? His deep balls have been on the money. The other throws are clearly good given his completion percentage. I think you aren't a fan of "Sam Bradford" because you're too worried about assessing his past instead of assessing this year.

Outside of scrambling, he doesn't have many limitations at all.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Post edited. Please refrain from getting personal and insulting people.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is the first time since 2005 (2009 an odd exception) where it doesn't feel like we have a major question mark at QB.

There are things to fix on the roster, but right now QB isn't one of them.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Jeez Percy....chill...
as I said, I think Bradford is a "good" QB.....actually likely better then Teddy who has yet to prove much other then being a nice guy.

However, I think its hyperbole for anyone to say he is "amazing".

Is he good enough for a Super bowl team? Maybe, IF he had a real OL as opposed to the plate of cold vomit that SPielman has served us. Certainly he is at least as good as Flacco, if not better. So, if you give him a great Defense (ours is darn good but not great) and a reasonable OL (or is NOT) he MIGHT be the man for the job.......
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Based on his play this year, I'd take Bradford over Flacco every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yes, I know Flacco has a ring. But let's not forget, the man was one botched coverage against 7 DBs and not one, but two special teams touchdowns from an unceremonious first-round exit. It may have been the luckiest win in playoff history. Since that season, Flacco has done next to nothing with his $100+ million contract.

My feeling is that with his arm and accuracy, coupled with our receiving talent, Bradford needs two things to excel.
1. Something remotely resembling an offensive line.
2. Some consistency in who his coordinator is -- something he's never had.

No. 2 is easy. Keep Shurmur. The first one might take a miracle, given where we're starting from.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Based on his play this year, I'd take Bradford over Flacco every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yes, I know Flacco has a ring. But let's not forget, the man was one botched coverage against 7 DBs and not one, but two special teams touchdowns from an unceremonious first-round exit. It may have been the luckiest win in playoff history. Since that season, Flacco has done next to nothing with his $100+ million contract.

My feeling is that with his arm and accuracy, coupled with our receiving talent, Bradford needs two things to excel.

No. 2 is easy. Keep Shurmur. The first one might take a miracle, given where we're starting from.
Flacco had an amazing postseason for a QB, maybe the best in history.

While im not sure if Bradford could do that, I think given the right situation he could be a SB winning QB if he can keep playing like he did this year, if he improves at all, no doubt.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: My feeling is that with his arm and accuracy, coupled with our receiving talent, Bradford needs two things to excel.
Hard to say it's something he's never had when Shurmur was his OC in St. Louis in 2010 and last year in Philadelphia.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:Jeez Percy....chill...
as I said, I think Bradford is a "good" QB.....actually likely better then Teddy who has yet to prove much other then being a nice guy.

However, I think its hyperbole for anyone to say he is "amazing".

Is he good enough for a Super bowl team? Maybe, IF he had a real OL as opposed to the plate of cold vomit that SPielman has served us. Certainly he is at least as good as Flacco, if not better. So, if you give him a great Defense (ours is darn good but not great) and a reasonable OL (or is NOT) he MIGHT be the man for the job.......
I mean Trent Dilfer won a SB. Rex Grossman went to a SB. Manning who was horrendous last year won one. If those guys can pull it off, I think Bradford could. Even Teddy for that matter
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: What limitations does the guy have other than not being able to scramble? His deep balls have been on the money. The other throws are clearly good given his completion percentage. I think you aren't a fan of "Sam Bradford" because you're too worried about assessing his past instead of assessing this year.

Outside of scrambling, he doesn't have many limitations at all.
I agree, but you have to add one more problem area this season: atrocious efficiency in the red zone. Not all his fault, but still.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Based on his play this year, I'd take Bradford over Flacco every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I know I keep saying this but as a fan, I'm still smarting over how terrible the offensive line has been. It's affected all of the skill players, including Bradford. My biggest fear is it might take several seasons to correct something that should and could have been dealt with before this season.