On to 2017

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: On to 2017

Post by Mothman »

Purple Martin wrote: Yes. I'd like to see our offensive philosophy shift from defense to offense. :wallbang:
:lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Brad Childress for OC.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

fiestavike wrote:Brad Childress for OC.
:puke:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Team are now all locked in for 2017 season:

Home Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Saints, Bucs, Ravens, Bengals, RAMS

Away Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Browns (<in London), Steelers, REDSKINS
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote: I'm guessing they will just keep Shurmur. :(
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Shurmur can do with an actual NFL offensive line. He was given a pile of you know what, and at least he tried to be creative to mask the brutal weaknesses of the OL. I agree it was it was maddening watching this offense, but it's hard for me to hold Shurmur accountable given the situation. I thought he did a good job of getting Bradford prepared, and trying to adapt the offense around it's obvious deficiencies. I think he deserves the chance to be the OC for the entire training camp with an actual OL (problem is, I'm not sure it's possible to turn this into an actual NFL OL in 1 offseason :( )

Unlike Norv, who just continued to run 7 step drops despite not having an OL that could protect for a 2 step drop.

I am glad Turner is gone. Overrated, made his name with an entire offense of future HOFers in Dallas, and was far too stubborn to adapt his offense to his players' talents.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

fiestavike wrote:Brad Childress for OC.
Tice!!!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Shurmur can do with an actual NFL offensive line. He was given a pile of you know what, and at least he tried to be creative to mask the brutal weaknesses of the OL. I agree it was it was maddening watching this offense, but it's hard for me to hold Shurmur accountable given the situation. I thought he did a good job of getting Bradford prepared, and trying to adapt the offense around it's obvious deficiencies. I think he deserves the chance to be the OC for the entire training camp with an actual OL (problem is, I'm not sure it's possible to turn this into an actual NFL OL in 1 offseason :(

I honestly don't care that much since my guess is the entire staff will be gone in a year or two anyway. I think Shurmur's more of a "dink and dunk" play caller and that's not the approach I really like on offense but if they give him a chance, I'll hope for the best.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tice!!!
:smilevike: (Still one of the best OL coaches we've ever had IMHO)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RFIP wrote:Team are now all locked in for 2017 season:

Home Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Saints, Bucs, Ravens, Bengals, RAMS

Away Games:
Bears, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Browns (<in London), Steelers, REDSKINS
Not a bad schedule. Falcons and Steelers on the road will likely be tough games.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote: :smilevike: (Still one of the best OL coaches we've ever had IMHO)

I agree. I don't think he was a bad head coach either. He had just one losing season during an era where the owner was literally stripping the team of assets. Few head coaches have had less overall support from an organization. I still feel the Wilfs made a hasty decision letting him go.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Wilf's had their own learning curve to go through...

That being said, Tice would have never succeeded here in 2006 IMO. He basically came in as an extension of Dennis Green.

It is telling that in the 10 years since he hasn't been hired as HC again. Maybe he doesn't want to? Or maybe he isn't up to NFL snuff for that position? I don't know.

I didn't realize this until recently, but both Shurmer and Brad Childress are close members of the Andy Reid coaching tree. Shurmer hired Childress as his OC when he was HC of the Browns. Shurmer was OC of Philly in a 2nd stint under Chip Kelly. He was almost hired to replace Kelly before losing the Chief's OC, Doug Pedersen. Childress is now the Chief's OC and Shurmer came here.

It is worth noting that Shurmer has had a lot of success coaching QBs as well having offenses that are able to limit turnovers. He also helped develop a probowl TE at Philly as well as serving as their OL coach. These are attributes that fit a defensive minded team and mirror the formula KC has used successfully this season with it's defense and Alex Smith.

They say that in the NFL as a new HC you cannot always hire the guy you want since he is under contract. Perhaps Shurmer was the guy Zimmer wanted? I know we've talked about that before and it is obvious that hiring Shurmer with his resume as a TE coach was never going to be permanent.

Maybe the next OC is already here? Not sure if I like that or not. Not sure I hate it either...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:The Wilf's had their own learning curve to go through...

That being said, Tice would have never succeeded here in 2006 IMO. He basically came in as an extension of Dennis Green.

It is telling that in the 10 years since he hasn't been hired as HC again. Maybe he doesn't want to? Or maybe he isn't up to NFL snuff for that position? I don't know.
I think the "Love boat" and the ticket scandal probably submarined his chances of being a head coach again.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Can we ask for no bye-week in 2017? It does not seem to help us in any way.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

unless Spielman pull his head out of his #### and admits that he has virtually NO Ol talent, then drafts and trades like a madman for Ol talent, 2017 will just be another crappy year for Viking Fans.......it couldn't be any clearer.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: I think the "Love boat" and the ticket scandal probably submarined his chances of being a head coach again.
Hard to say how 2006 would have looked with Tice on board. Probably no Steve Hutchinson. Culpepper would have stayed on board as the QB though. It would have been interesting for sure.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.