Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Free Agent Offensive Linemen 2017

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I would keep Floyd, honestly assuming he is cheap. Just a one or two year dwal for the minimum or just over, with playtime incentives.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I mean he's not a FA or anything but Zim seems to have gotten sick of him because he's always injured. He's a good player when healthy.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I mean he's not a FA or anything but Zim seems to have gotten sick of him because he's always injured. He's a good player when healthy.
Another thing we know due to Zim's propensity to criticize players to the media, this time about injury history no less..
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:
Another thing we know due to Zim's propensity to criticize players to the media, this time about injury history no less..
Do you ever quit? Or are you just gonna pick apart everything says? Because Mike McCarthy never criticizes playersto the media right? I mean that's what you told me at least.
McCarthy: "Four turnovers is totally unacceptable. ... Aaron, Jordy and Ty, you have to take care of the football."
That's after you were thumped by Dallas. Zimmer says a guy needs to improve but gets criticized for it. McCarthy does it and he doesn't get criticized? To call out guys for turnovers like McCarthy did or say a guy needs to play better like Zimmer did, how is that any different? It's not. So I guess your little angel of a coach isn't so quiet in front of the media. You guys act like Zimmer attacked players verbally. He literally said a few guys need to play better. Big fricken deal. If players can't deal with that they shouldn't play this game. And it disgusts me even more that guys like you sit here and criticize it when your own damn coach did "such a terrible thing". These guys are adults. They are football players. Grow the F up if you can't take that. It happens all over the league yet guys single Zim out like he's some a**hole. Once again, always the coaches fault. That's why the players played bad right?? Because the coach is the one covering guys and making the tackles. No these guys have to go out and perform too. It goes both ways.

And please,please don't try and sit here and act like McCarthy is some saint. All these coaches do it. You see it all over rotoworld about coaches bringing up stuff like that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

It should be noted Zimmer barely even scratches the surface of ''humiliating'' players. I don't think Jord has heard of Jim Mora. . . Y'know: ''We did diddly-poo offensively''. Who could forget his other gem: ''Playoffs!?''.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Rhodes Closed wrote:It should be noted Zimmer barely even scratches the surface of ''humiliating'' players. I don't think Jord has heard of Jim Mora. . . Y'know: ''We did diddly-poo offensively''. Who could forget his other gem: ''Playoffs!?''.
That is not the same as calling a player out to the media on an individual basis. Not even close.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Do you ever quit? Or are you just gonna pick apart everything says? Because Mike McCarthy never criticizes playersto the media right? I mean that's what you told me at least.
That's after you were thumped by Dallas. Zimmer says a guy needs to improve but gets criticized for it. McCarthy does it and he doesn't get criticized? To call out guys for turnovers like McCarthy did or say a guy needs to play better like Zimmer did, how is that any different? It's not. So I guess your little angel of a coach isn't so quiet in front of the media. You guys act like Zimmer attacked players verbally. He literally said a few guys need to play better. Big fricken deal. If players can't deal with that they shouldn't play this game. And it disgusts me even more that guys like you sit here and criticize it when your own damn coach did "such a terrible thing". These guys are adults. They are football players. Grow the F up if you can't take that. It happens all over the league yet guys single Zim out like he's some a**hole. Once again, always the coaches fault. That's why the players played bad right?? Because the coach is the one covering guys and making the tackles. No these guys have to go out and perform too. It goes both ways.

And please,please don't try and sit here and act like McCarthy is some saint. All these coaches do it. You see it all over rotoworld about coaches bringing up stuff like that
What McCarthy said is far different from putting individual players on blast on a consistent basis (Something McCarthy did not do in your quote).

No, all coaches most certainly do not call players out individually to criticize to the media, certainly not about injury history no less.. There is a difference between 'The O needs to take care of the ball better' and 'Guy played terrible' or 'Guy is an injury prone ####'.

Nobody is saying he shouldnt criticize or motivate his guys! Can you stop acting like there is no in betwen here? There are plenty of ways to get the point across to your players that sudden embarrassment should not be a motivational tactic on a regular basis.

Until Zimmer realizes his silly tactic has been wearing thin on how much his players trust/respect him he can enjoy the repercussions and having players deliberately disobey him and his game plan.

Ive always thought that first and foremost, a coach must be a leader of men, Zimmer has not been that. Not this year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Zimmer has been very different this season. Lack of emotion... Making different type of decisions... It just isn't the same guy he was last year. Maybe Parcells has been giving him some bad advice?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

On a side note did Parcells ever call out his players?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

PurpleMustReign wrote:On a side note did Parcells ever call out his players?

Sure, but he didn't make running the media to complain about how bad a player of his performed a habit.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: Sure, but he didn't make running the media to complain about how bad a player of his performed a habit.
Yup thats what he did was "run to the media to complain". You hit it right on the head man :roll:
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yup thats what he did was "run to the media to complain". You hit it right on the head man :roll:
He has done this calling out players to media nonsense several times, thats likely what some of the players feel like.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Guys, please. Give it a rest.

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

10 free agent offensive linemen the Vikings should avoid
It's pretty bad when 2 of our starters is on the avoid list.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... ngs-avoid/
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:10 free agent offensive linemen the Vikings should avoid
It's pretty bad when 2 of our starters is on the avoid list.
:lol: It's hard not to laugh at that.

I'm laughing through the tears...
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

There is a serious lack of OL talent in the league right now. There are a ton of teams with OL problems of varying degree. What that means is that it isn't often that quality offensive linemen are allowed to hit the open market, and when they do they come at a premium.

My guess is that Kevin Zeitler, Ricky Wagner, and T.J. Lang are all extended before the market opens. Others will be also, but I'm less confident about who that would be (e.g. Brian Winters just signed an extension with the Jets).

The guys who I think have a real shot at being available and who would upgrade the line include:

Andrew Whitworth: Age likely means he's out in Cincy, but he's still a top end left tackle.

Larry Warford: His play in DET has been up and down, but he's reportedly going to be allowed to test the market. Something about him makes me worry that he's the time that would get paid and then check out.

J.C. Tretter: Quality young offensive lineman who can play guard and center.

Ronald Leary: He's been significantly better than the more highly touted La'el Collins, but cap money

Riley Reiff: Reiff is due to get overpaid given that he's an OT with experience on the left and right side and is generally serviceable, if not outstanding. That said, the Vikings need new starters on both sides so it might be in their interest to overpay.

Mike Remmers: He's a step down from Reiff, and strictly a RT, but he might be a stop gap option.

Chance Warmack: Generally considered to be a huge bust, Warmack has still had stretches of competent play. He may be a good buy low candidate.