The Vikings Super Bowl drought

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: The Vikings Super Bowl drought

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It's like I keep telling a coworker.

We Vikings fans get our hopes up, then watch them get dashed on the rocks. It's what we do, year after year. It's especially true for those of us who have witnessed all four Super Bowls. We've been conditioned to believe, even when it's completely ridiculous to believe, that this might be the year. It's a pathetic sickness, born in the 1970s when we were constantly among the very best teams in football but continually came up just short. I admit ... I'm still living in 1975.

It would be one thing if we just kept losing year after year, like the Browns do. But every so often since the '70s, the Vikings put a competitive team on the field and get our hopes up. Not competitive enough to win the SB, but just enough to fan the flames of "maybe." And when they flop in the big moment, like in '98 or '09, we're left in a dense fog of What the Hell. Then you see teams like the Giants in '07 and '11 come out of nowhere to win Super Bowls they have no business even playing in, and it just makes things worse.

This year has been particularly hard for me. That defense was almost impenetrable during the first five games. I thought we were witnessing another 2001 Ravens team or 2015 Broncos team, one whose offense struggled to score but whose defense could win games all by itself. Then, like somebody flipped a switch, we started sucking. Guys, we're 2-7 over our last 9. That's not just disappointing. It's flat-out bad. From the top-ranked team in the NFL to one of the worst, a team that analysts are regularly calling "a very bad Minnesota team." I'm just stunned.

Makes me wonder how the psyche of a Patriots fan is different. Their standards are so much different. It's an event when they lose even a game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Injuries were the most prevalent issue this year. Next man up hasn't worked as well as management planned. I say "Imagine that." So off we go again to the reclamation heap next year hoping that the Vikings edge closer to the ultimate goal.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

I say get rid the salary cap. Sure it will be a #### show for a couple years, but look at the MLB the last 10 years, with different World Series champs. The salary cap was suppose to keep teams like the Vikings competitive, but unfortunately they've lacked the front office capable of finding utility players in free agency and the later round in the draft. If you need all 25 of your first team healthy to make playoff runs, then we never had a team worth #### to begin with. That has been the problem since the '80s. Seems like every 3 to 5 years we finally stumble onto enough players to make a run, then the team falls apart the next year due to a key player going down, or a veteran qb running out of gas, or an already patch worked oline falling apart after a month.

The question is, do we once again have to go through another 3 to 5 year rebuilding period, or is ziggy going to take charge and clean house, and bring in the personnel capable of winning, while rebuilding?
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

joe h wrote:I say get rid the salary cap. Sure it will be a #### show for a couple years, but look at the MLB the last 10 years, with different World Series champs. The salary cap was suppose to keep teams like the Vikings competitive, but unfortunately they've lacked the front office capable of finding utility players in free agency and the later round in the draft. If you need all 25 of your first team healthy to make playoff runs, then we never had a team worth #### to begin with. That has been the problem since the '80s. Seems like every 3 to 5 years we finally stumble onto enough players to make a run, then the team falls apart the next year due to a key player going down, or a veteran qb running out of gas, or an already patch worked oline falling apart after a month.

The question is, do we once again have to go through another 3 to 5 year rebuilding period, or is ziggy going to take charge and clean house, and bring in the personnel capable of winning, while rebuilding?
Salary cap isn't the issue. Teams have always been lucky. There have also been dynasties. The problem is that you get these perennial bottom feeders getting all the top draft picks, and year after year there are more misses than hits. When you get a hit that results in a long term "relevant" streak it almost always is a quarterback. Every blue moon you get so many hits on defense that you end up with a 2000 ravens or 03 bucs. But that is rare. Or seattle, or denver. But if you look at seattle they have wilson, who is running for his life because their offensive line is as bad as ours, the counter is that wilson is a magician.

But you get these teams that are relevant every year, in spite of weaknesses. The steelers, pats, packers, etc. It almost makes it an option to just draft all quarterbacks until you get one, because that is literally what it takes. Look at what happened today. Oakland went from a contender to an easy out. If heinecke was our starter would anyone blink an eye? Nah, our offense stinks regardless. Whether its teddy or sam, neither one is good enough to carry this team. Teddy has shown flashes of having that it factor, but there went his knee, and questions on whether or not he will even play again, let alone at a level good enough to take this team all the way.

Now im not saying that an elite qb is required to win a super bowl because anything can happen. What i'm saying is you need one that is well above average to stay relevant for long stretches and overcome the futility that the perennial bottom feeders have. If cleveland drafted carr, you think they would be 1-14 right now? Not a chance.

The vikings are a teeter totter. We either have a good offense or a good defense. Its almost never both, minus 09 where timely penalties yet again killed a season. This was an off year. Watch, mark my words. Next season will be a good one. Just enough to get our hopes up and then shoot them down right at the worst time. Its almost scripted
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Boon wrote:If cleveland drafted carr, you think they would be 1-14 right now? Not a chance.
Maybe 2-13? If cleveland drafted Carr, Carr wouldn't be Carr.

The team with the best stabilty and an elite QB situation in the league for the last 25 years has been GB, and despite only parlaying that into 2 SBs they are continually contenders.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: Maybe 2-13? If cleveland drafted Carr, Carr wouldn't be Carr.

The team with the best stabilty and an elite QB situation in the league for the last 25 years has been GB, and despite only parlaying that into 2 SBs they are continually contenders.
I dont think 'Only' should be a qualifier when you consider that is any many SB wins in that time period as every team except the cheatriots.

Personally I think Carr would be good in CLE, but he would suffer statistically compared to in OAK.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011