Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bigwehrm
Starter

Re: Vikings' defensive discord raises concerning questions

Post by Bigwehrm »

Mothman wrote: Regardless of what was said last year or how people feel about Frazier, Tice and other previous coaches, the current Vikings and their current coach have serious problems. This season has gone off the rails. Starting DBs who have played for Zimmer for years chose to disregard his coaching. His long-time friend and OC Norv Turner left mid-season. The team has been blown out two weeks in a row and they've followed up a 5-0 start with a 2-8 record. To put that in perspective, that's one game better than the Browns and 49ers over the same number of games. It's the same record next week's opponent, the 3-13 Bears have over the same period of time and it includes a loss to those Bears.

Players do get tired of being called out in the press. That could be a factor in what's been happening. If you read Matt Coller's article above, it certainly sounds like at least some members of the team are losing confidence in the coaching.

Personally, I think there's definitely more to the Vikings' demise than just injuries and some bad luck.
If they don't like getting called out, step up and play better. This ain't peewee ball. Coach has the right to call out whoever he wants. He should have been benching some more of them to get their attention.

I think he let the mutiny go on in the first half just to send a message and let em get embarrassed. More or less show he was right that their plan sucked and his was right. If the vikings get rid of Zim they will regret it.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Bigwehrm wrote: If they don't like getting called out, step up and play better. This ain't peewee ball. Coach has the right to call out whoever he wants. He should have been benching some more of them to get their attention.

I think he let the mutiny go on in the first half just to send a message and let em get embarrassed. More or less show he was right that their plan sucked and his was right. If the vikings get rid of Zim they will regret it.
Yes, coach has the right to call out whoever he wants, but personally I don't think it should be through the media. This is something that should be handled internally. Players are human too and don't like to be embarrassed like that publicly.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

PsyDanny wrote: Short end of the stick?

Stick? What stick?
Yeah, I thought it was called a switch. :gone:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple Reign wrote: Yes, coach has the right to call out whoever he wants, but personally I don't think it should be through the media. This is something that should be handled internally. Players are human too and don't like to be embarrassed like that publicly.
In the words of Jim, Boo Hoo. Toughen up
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Bigwehrm wrote:
If they don't like getting called out, step up and play better. This ain't peewee ball. Coach has the right to call out whoever he wants. He should have been benching some more of them to get their attention.

Exactly
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... d-ignorant

Exactly how I feel. Listen to what Deion has to say. The stats show it. It's exactly what it was was stupid and ignorant. Surprised Rhodes and Newman were dumb enough to agree to that. Idiots
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Exactly
Calling out a player to the media can be an effectibe tactic in certain situations, but Zimmer seems to think it is an all the time thing. You keep that stuff in house unless you really feel you need to escalate, you dont use it as your go to motivational technique.

Your already seeing the repercussions of this behavior, why respect a coach who doesnt respect his players.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: Calling out a player to the media can be an effectibe tactic in certain situations, but Zimmer seems to think it is an all the time thing. You keep that stuff in house unless you really feel you need to escalate, you dont use it as your go to motivational technique.

Your already seeing the repercussions of this behavior, why respect a coach who doesnt respect his players.
How do you know he doesn't handle a lot of this behind closed doors? You don't. But he doesn't "respect his players"? You sound just as soft as the rest of society is nowadays. To say he doesn't "respect" his players shows how ignorant you really are. Also seeing the repercussions of his behavior?? He hasn't called out Rhodes or Newman once. So why would they not respect him? Makes zero sense. You might be better off sticking to paying attention to your Packers because you seem to know nothing regarding the Vikings

Two bad defensive games, more like 1.5 games and he doesn't respect his players? You sound like parents do these days. It's always the coaches fault right? Never the players. These arrogant idiots went and did their own thing thinking they knew more than the coach did and clearly they didn't. But it's never the players fault. Always the coach. Pretty sad if you ask me
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Reign wrote: Yeah, I thought it was called a switch. :gone:
No, it's "stick."

It's not literal. It's an idiom. Don't know what an idiom is? Look it up.

Getting the "short end of the stick" refers to getting the worse end of the bargain, or to suffer the bad effects of the situation.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Jordysghost wrote: Calling out a player to the media can be an effectibe tactic in certain situations, but Zimmer seems to think it is an all the time thing. You keep that stuff in house unless you really feel you need to escalate, you dont use it as your go to motivational technique.

How do you know he doesn't handle a lot of this behind closed doors? You don't. But he doesn't "respect his players"? You sound just as soft as the rest of society is nowadays. To say he doesn't "respect" his players shows how ignorant you really are. Also seeing the repercussions of his behavior?? He hasn't called out Rhodes or Newman once. So why would they not respect him? Makes zero sense. You might be better off sticking to paying attention to your Packers because you seem to know nothing regarding the Vikings

Two bad defensive games, more like 1.5 games and he doesn't respect his players? You sound like parents do these days. It's always the coaches fault right? Never the players. These arrogant idiots went and did their own thing thinking they knew more than the coach did and clearly they didn't. But it's never the players fault. Always the coach. Pretty sad if you ask me[/quote]

If he has been making any attempt at all to handle it in house it clearly hasnt been working, given his pension for putting them on blast in the media.

And yea, sorry, constantly bringing players faults to the forefront of attention to national media is NOT respecting his players.

Such blatant acts of disregard/contempt affect the respect the coach gets from the entire lockerroom, not just the players mentioned, I have no problem with 'Hurting players feelings' but criticizing them to the national media on such an often basis is NOT indicative of a coach that respects his guys.

Its not like this is a one time thing for Zimmer, players dont want to feel like after one bad performance their coach is going to highlight their errors to national media and toss them to wolves.

I never said it was Zimmers fault his players mutinied, but you reap what you sew, if the players dont feel the coach has their back they are liable to go full moron.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: No, it's "stick."

Getting the "short end of the stick" refers to getting the worse end of the bargain, or to suffer the bad effects of the situation.
I guess the reference to switch went right over your head. :wink:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I like Zimmer's scheme on defense but this is concerning. He needs to sit down with the defensive backs and make sure everyone is on the same page or he will be gone fast.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Reign wrote:I guess the reference to switch went right over your head. :wink:
Holy cow. It's apparently still over my head. Honestly don't get it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Short end of the stick?

Stick? What stick?
Yeah, I thought it was called a switch. :gone:[/quote]
No, it's "stick."

Getting the "short end of the stick" refers to getting the worse end of the bargain, or to suffer the bad effects of the situation.[/quote]

I get the idiom. I was just thinking that the fans have not even gotten the short end of the stick, because it seems lately there is no stick at all.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Purple Reign wrote:
I guess the reference to switch went right over your head. :wink:
The switch was a few years ago. And, if I recall, you had to go cut your own.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."