Vikes Packers game day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Vikes Packers game day thread

Post by losperros »

Purple Reign wrote:Here are some stats that may be a little eye opening for those who don't believe we have a problem with the defense. Excluding the first 5 games of the year, for the last 9 games played previous to this weekend (I didn't include this week's games since not all teams have played this week yet), we rank 21st in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed. Since this doesn't include the stats from yesterday's game against the Packers, I'm sure the rankings won't improve any when all teams are included for this week.

We were definitely in the elite status the first 5 games of the year, but not since then, not even in the top half of the league.
That's depressing. You're right about it being a big drop in quality.

What's more, the D seems to have lost its ability to do all the things we clearly saw it doing during the first five games - cause chaos in the opposing team's offensive backfield, create turnovers, play the run, finish strong, and even score TDs. But something has gone wrong. Did other teams figure out what the Vikings D was doing? I don't think the fault is all on the offensive struggles, though they certainly played a part in the team's demise.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Mothman wrote:
Wow, that is eye opening. Thanks for the info.

Did you use a particular site or tool to calculate those stats?
I'm a computer programmer so I just wrote a quick program to add up all the points and yards allowed by each team for those weeks. Stats came from NFL.com. I've got almost every stat for every week/team in a database so it's pretty easy for me to come up with stats analysis.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Reign wrote:I'm a computer programmer so I just wrote a quick program to add up all the points and yards allowed by each team for those weeks. Stats came from NFL.com. I've got almost every stat for every week/team in a database so it's pretty easy for me to come up with stats analysis.
Cool. Thanks for putting in the effort to come up with those stats.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Purple Reign wrote:Here are some stats that may be a little eye opening for those who don't believe we have a problem with the defense. Excluding the first 5 games of the year, for the last 9 games played previous to this weekend (I didn't include this week's games since not all teams have played this week yet), we rank 21st in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed. Since this doesn't include the stats from yesterday's game against the Packers, I'm sure the rankings won't improve any when all teams are included for this week.

We were definitely in the elite status the first 5 games of the year, but not since then, not even in the top half of the league.
umm going into the indy game we were first in points and 2nd in yardage? how the hell would we be 22nd?
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Boon wrote: umm going into the indy game we were first in points and 2nd in yardage? how the hell would we be 22nd?
Read the whole post - the ranking is for games 6-14. The ranking you are talking about includes the first 5 games.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Purple Reign wrote:
I'm a computer programmer so I just wrote a quick program to add up all the points and yards allowed by each team for those weeks. Stats came from NFL.com. I've got almost every stat for every week/team in a database so it's pretty easy for me to come up with stats analysis.
Thanks for the stats. It has been pretty clear to me (using the old eye-test) that this defense isn't the same. The last few weeks, there are things we are doing pre-snap that I don't understand. For example, early on in the Colts game, there was a 3rd down play where we went zone and played Munnerlyn 7 yards off - when the yardage was only 4 to gain.

In the Packers game, they went three wide and shaded the back to the weak side of the defense. We remained in base and only had three defenders on the weak side. It was an easy first down for the Packers on the flat pass to the back.

We have a lot of holes to fill this offseason - it is frustrating. :|
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I posted this information in the appropriate thread, but though I'd include it here as well (since it was discussed here too)

According to this Link the "mutiny" was blown out of porportion.
“Miscommunication” was the buzzword Monday as Vikings cornerbacks Xavier Rhodes and Terence Newman sought to downplay their freestyle coverage of Packers receiver Jordy Nelson as defying coach Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer blamed himself for being too vague with Rhodes and Newman about their shifting assignments and too blunt assessing the pass defense in his news conference after Saturday’s 38-25 playoff-squelching loss at Lambeau Field.
More at the Link.
Last edited by Just Me on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Purple Reign wrote: Read the whole post - the ranking is for games 6-14. The ranking you are talking about includes the first 5 games.
I did read the whole post. Its wrong
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Boon wrote: I did read the whole post. Its wrong
Ok, what do you mean when you say it is wrong? If you take the stats from games 6-14 for points given up and yards given up, we rank 21st and 22nd respectively. I'm curious as to why you would claim that it's wrong.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Just Me wrote:I posted this information in the appropriate thread, but though I'd include it here as well (since it was discussed here too)

According to this Link the "mutiny" was blown out of purportion.
More at the Link.
Maybe a little bit of damage control in play?
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Purple Reign wrote:
Maybe a little bit of damage control in play?
Honestly, (but I'm pretty cynical at times) that was my first instinct. I'm hoping it was true, however, as the alternative is to believe that the Vikings have some pretty serious internal problems.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Just Me wrote: Honestly, (but I'm pretty cynical at times) that was my first instinct. I'm hoping it was true, however, as the alternative is to believe that the Vikings have some pretty serious internal problems.
If it was only for a series (as some reports are claiming), how come you don't see Rhodes covering Nelson in any of the highlights of Nelson's first half catches? I tend to put more faith in comments during/immediately following a game rather than several days later when they change their tune.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I wonder if teams started catching onto Zimmer's defense? It was about that time that the team really seemed to start having a problem generating QB pressure even via blitz. Or maybe that's just perceived by me.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: I wonder if teams started catching onto Zimmer's defense? It was about that time that the team really seemed to start having a problem generating QB pressure even via blitz. Or maybe that's just perceived by me.
I've been saying that since Philly. His defense was exposed. They have more young talent om their defense than 3/4th of the teams out there yet they are getting exponentially worse as the season goes on.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Purple Reign wrote: If it was only for a series (as some reports are claiming), how come you don't see Rhodes covering Nelson in any of the highlights of Nelson's first half catches? I tend to put more faith in comments during/immediately following a game rather than several days later when they change their tune.
It definitely was for more than "a series".