Vikes Packers game day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikes Packers game day thread

Post by Purple Reign »

TSonn wrote: Yeah. Zimmer better bench the entire secondary for at least the next half of football. I wonder if the secondary even told the rest of the defense that they were going rogue? Such BS. It clearly showed that no one was on the same page for most of the game. I'm surprised Zimmer didn't explode on the sideline in the first quarter. His quote to Erin Andrews after half makes a lot more sense now!
Don't see how that showed no one was on the same page. Just because the defense called a different coverage than what Zimmer wanted doesn't mean half the players were playing one kind of defense and the other half a different kind. They just weren't playing the defense that Zimmer wanted. But what is more troubling is why Zimmer let them get away with it for the whole first half.
Last edited by Purple Reign on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Jordysghost wrote:
Lot of truth here but the Vikings did move the ball at will in the first half too, could have easily had 21 points or more had they finished a couple drives and had they used a pylon instead of Clemmings as a LT.

Packers D is not good. They will go as far as ARod takes them and right now that looks like it could be very far.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Jordysghost wrote:
Lot of truth here but the Vikings did move the ball at will in the first half too, could have easily had 21 points or more had they finished a couple drives and had they used a pylon instead of Clemmings as a LT.

Packers D is not good. They will go as far as ARod takes them and right now that looks like it could be very far.[/quote]

But, the last 5 weeks they have been good. They carried the team last year, and this year was good immediately before we lost our top 4 corners (amongst other injuries but these hurt the worst) and immediately after we got them back, is that supposed to be coincidental?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Jordysghost wrote: But, the last 5 weeks they have been good. They carried the team last year, and this year was good immediately before we lost our top 4 corners (amongst other injuries but these hurt the worst) and immediately after we got them back, is that supposed to be coincidental?
Packers D has given up 924 against two teams that have been struggling in offense all year. If the Packer D continues like this expect a one and done in the playoffs if they make it.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote: Packers D has given up 924 against two teams that have been struggling in offense all year. If the Packer D continues like this expect a one and done in the playoffs if they make it.
Again, as long as we dont inexplicably go into prevent with a quarter left as we did against the Bears (Who had only scored 10 prior to that) we will likely be fine.

Philly only had 13, Hou only had 13, Sea only had 10 and 7 of which was in garbage time against prevent D. Notice a recurring trend here? In the last 5 games, the Packers have given up 3, yes 3 TDs that didn't come against prevent D, with only the Bears points not being in "Garbage time" (But was still against prevent D).

The Vikings only really scored 13, two TDs were well into garbage time against prevent D. If you take away the points scored against prevent D in the last two games, the Packers D hasnt given up more then 13 points for 5 games.
Last edited by Jordysghost on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Jordysghost wrote: Again, as long as we dont inexplicably go into prevent with a quarter left as we did against the Bears (Who had only scored 10 prior to that) we will likely be fine.

Philly only had 13, Hou only had 13, Sea only had 10 and 7 of which was in garbage time against prevent D. Notice a recurring trend here? In the last 5 games, the Packers have given up 3, yes 3 TDs that didn't come against prevent D, with only the Bears points not being in "Garbage time".

The Vikings only really scored 13, two TDs were well into garbage time against prevent D. If you take away the points scored against prevent D in the last two games, the Packers D hasnt given up more then 13 points for 5 games.
The only thing that stopped the Viking in the first half was the Vikings. Mainly the offensive line. The Packers D had very little to do with it.

So, tell me what happened to the Packers offense in the second half? Prevent offense? I mean 283 net yards in the first half and 63 net yards in the second half?
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Jordysghost wrote: Again, as long as we dont inexplicably go into prevent with a quarter left as we did against the Bears (Who had only scored 10 prior to that) we will likely be fine.

Philly only had 13, Hou only had 13, Sea only had 10 and 7 of which was in garbage time against prevent D. Notice a recurring trend here? In the last 5 games, the Packers have given up 3, yes 3 TDs that didn't come against prevent D, with only the Bears points not being in "Garbage time".

The only thing that stopped the Viking in the first half was the Vikings. Mainly the offensive line. The Packers D had very little to do with it.

So, tell me what happened to the Packers offense in the second half? Prevent offense? I mean 283 net yards in the first half and 63 net yards in the second half?[/quote]

Uh no, the Vikes O was playing against the Packers D, your O line was getting beat by the Packers front 7, as they did in week 2. By your logic, you could say that about anything or anyone, you didnt beat the Packers week 2, the Packers beat themselves! :roll:

I think the Packers started trying to push the run game once we got a big lead as to protect our QB, even so, they managed to put up 10 second half points, pretty much the same thing that happened against the Seahawks.

If you intend to invoke concern about our O, your are really barking up the wrong tree, Packers O has been fantastic for the past 5 weeks, even better then the D.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Jordysghost wrote: Uh no, the Vikes O was playing against the Packers D, your O line was getting beat by the Packers front 7, as they did in week 2. By your logic, you could say that about anything or anyone, you didnt beat the Packers week 2, the Packers beat themselves! :roll:

I think the Packers started trying to push the run game once we got a big lead as to protect our QB, even so, they managed to put up 10 second half points, pretty much the same thing that happened against the Seahawks.

If you intend to invoke concern about our O, your are really barking up the wrong tree, Packers O has been fantastic for the past 5 weeks, even better then the D.
The 30th worst offense in the league averaging 311 yards per game, 4.7 yards per play, put up 271 net yards and 8.7 yards per play in the first half. If you really think that's good defense, good for you. Or did the Packers defense start the game in prevent mode?

Nothing wrong with you offense. It's you defense that will keep you from winning in the playoffs.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote: The 30th worst offense in the league averaging 311 yards per game, 4.7 yards per play, put up 271 net yards and 8.7 yards per play in the first half. If you really think that's good defense, good for you. Or did the Packers defense start the game in prevent mode?

Nothing wrong with you offense. It's you defense that will keep you from winning in the playoffs.
Ok Raptorman, you want the Packers D to be playing poorly, I get it, really, but heres the thing. They havent been. Reality takes precedent over wishful thinking.

13, 13, 10, 27, 25. (Including scores against prevent D) 13, 7, 3, 10, 13 (Not including scores against prevent D)

Those are the Packers point totals the last 5 weeks, only 3 TDs occured not against prevent D, I dont know how I could possibly be clearer. Even if you want to fault the D for Capers silly prevent #### with a quarter left against the Bears, that would still make one lackluster performance out of the last 5. :confused:

The Packers werent playing prevent to start the game, is that why the Vikings only scored 13 prior to garbage time? Probably. Your very prudent question only proves my point.
Last edited by Jordysghost on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Boo hoo.
That comment alone gives me enough reason not to bother reading the rest of your post
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Boon wrote:
Two bad games is exposed?
Exactly. Guys are looking to point fingers at anything possible right now and the defense is the least of our problems. I mean we have 2 bad defensive games and guys are "concerned for years to come" that Zimmer can't fix the defense. That's pretty laughable if you ask me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

Think zim would let them get tore up by jordy on purpose knowing they aren't following game plan?

The splits show the brainiacs in the secondary were extremely wrong to go against zimmer.

I don't see him losing the locker room. He Is one of the most respected coaches in the league by anyone that has played for him.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Boon wrote:I have said it before and i'll say it again. You can what if the hell out of everything, but i would be willing to bet my house that this is a 12 win team this year regardless of all the injuries, if you remove about 20 penalties. So many drive killing and drive extending costly penalties. Stupid ones, mainly on defense.
Even with the injuries, if anyone is going to sit here and say they STILL expected a lot out of this team after those injuries then I would truly question your knowledge of football. Add in the penalties and it makes it that much worse. With all we've lost, many teams in this league would win a max of about 5 games if it happened to them and we're still around a .500 team. But now Zimmers job should be on the line and all these other ridiculous overreactions I've seen on here the past 2 weeks
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Exactly. Guys are looking to point fingers at anything possible right now and the defense is the least of our problems. I mean we have 2 bad defensive games and guys are "concerned for years to come" that Zimmer can't fix the defense. That's pretty laughable if you ask me
They were exposed in Philadelphia, more in Chicago, and Detroit sealed the deal. After the Philly game, the defense didn't look the same at all. They gave up 3rd down conversions that they hadn't for the first five weeks, they gave up red zone TDs that they didn't in the first five weeks, and they gave up long plays that they didn't in the first five weeks. The entire defense looked different after Philadelphia. I am not going to say "This is a fact" because the numbers are still good, but other than the Dallas and Jacksonville games, the defense was not stopping anyone. I said it before, and until I am proven otherwise, I am worried that Zimmer's defense was figured out because at one point it was so mind boggling a 10 point lead by the Vikings seemed insurmountable. These last couple of games against mediocre offenses are reminiscent of the Lesile Frasier days. I am very disappointed in the effort of the entire team, outside of Thielen, for the last few weeks. I have serious questions about Mike Zimmer now that I didn't have three months ago. You never see a Bill Bellicheck, Bill Cowher, or even a Mike McCarthy coached team perform with this much disinterest.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:

They were exposed in Philadelphia, more in Chicago, and Detroit sealed the deal. After the Philly game, the defense didn't look the same at all. They gave up 3rd down conversions that they hadn't for the first five weeks, they gave up red zone TDs that they didn't in the first five weeks, and they gave up long plays that they didn't in the first five weeks. The entire defense looked different after Philadelphia. I am not going to say "This is a fact" because the numbers are still good, but other than the Dallas and Jacksonville games, the defense was not stopping anyone. I said it before, and until I am proven otherwise, I am worried that Zimmer's defense was figured out because at one point it was so mind boggling a 10 point lead by the Vikings seemed insurmountable. These last couple of games against mediocre offenses are reminiscent of the Lesile Frasier days. I am very disappointed in the effort of the entire team, outside of Thielen, for the last few weeks. I have serious questions about Mike Zimmer now that I didn't have three months ago. You never see a Bill Bellicheck, Bill Cowher, or even a Mike McCarthy coached team perform with this much disinterest.
Dude what are you even talking about? We turned Philadelphia over 4 times, held Wentz to 138 yards passing and they had no running game. Now our defense was exposed that game?? That makes zero sense man. As for the first Detroit game, they had Stafford held under 200 yards passing until over time. So they were "exposed" in overtime?? Because they werent the rest of that game. As for the second Detroit game, we held them to 16 points. Not sure how much more you want when you're only allowing 16 points. But either way, thats not considered being "exposed". The Bears game was just an overall poor performance by the entire team. So all in all, I'm not really sure where you are going with this.

Also, as for Mike McCarthy, his defense looked like an absolute dumpster fire when they had guys go down on that side of the ball. They lost like 4 games straight. So yeah, I would guess they were performing with "disinterest"
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chazz Palminteri