Vikes Packers game day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikes Packers game day thread

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Pick apart my posts all you want, but if anyone is worried about this defense going forward then I will sit here and continue to disagree. This offense/Lockes punting put them in terrible positions how many times today?? Those aren't excuses Jim. Those are facts. And those facts let this game get way out of hand
They're excuses for a defense that's allowed far too many points the last 2 weeks and had far too many lapses and breakdowns since the bye week. You love describing the Vikings defense as "elite". Elite defenses tend to step up and dominate when they're needed, not fold just because they were put in a bad position.

The defense has been increasingly problematic in the latter half of the season and because this team's main focus has been to build strong defense and lean on it, when that unit fails to deliver it's a big problem indeed.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

tmscr wrote: Great. I really didn't want to believe there were locker room problems with zimmer but it sounds as if there may be. And Newman has always been one of zimmer's biggest cheerleaders. Not good, not good.
Not good at all. This Vikings team may have serious internal issues. :(
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: They're excuses for a defense that's allowed far too many points the last 2 weeks and had far too many lapses and breakdowns since the bye week. You love describing the Vikings defense as "elite". Elite defenses tend to step up and dominate when they're needed, not fold just because they were put in a bad position.

The defense has been increasingly problematic in the latter half of the season and because this team's main focus has been to build strong defense and lean on it, when that unit fails to deliver it's a big problem indeed.
They were playing like an elite defense prior to these games. It was in the stats. And like I said, which you decided to ignore, this offense and punter have put them in awful positions. When your offense turns it over twice in your own end PLUS your punter can't punt past the 50, they're constantly starting with great field position. You have to give up next to no yards as a defense in order to not get points scored on you. It's not an excuse when those are things that consistently happen and consistently hurt this team. Simple as that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Not good at all. This Vikings team may have serious internal issues. :(
I've been wondering about that lately. I really hope it's not the case. But something internal has to be going on, given the events leading up to the end of the season.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Not good at all. This Vikings team may have serious internal issues. :(
WOW. This is not good at all. This doesn't happen to teams like the Patriots or Broncos. Or the Packers for that matter. If I am Zimmer I sit them all out next weekend. Thats terrible.
purplehaze wrote:Down 7 points game already over with this offense.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: They're excuses for a defense that's allowed far too many points the last 2 weeks and had far too many lapses and breakdowns since the bye week. You love describing the Vikings defense as "elite". Elite defenses tend to step up and dominate when they're needed, not fold just because they were put in a bad position.

Zmers defense has been exposed. I jave serious concerns in the coming years because i don't have much confidence that Zimmer can field even a competent defense.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: They were playing like an elite defense prior to these games. It was in the stats. And like I said, which you decided to ignore, this offense and punter have put them in awful positions.
I didn't ignore it. The line I've highlighted above addressed it.

Pointing to a game or games in which they've played very well doesn't address the problem that not playing well in too many games represents.
When your offense turns it over twice in your own end PLUS your punter can't punt past the 50, they're constantly starting with great field position. You have to give up next to no yards as a defense in order to not get points scored on you.
Boo hoo. Turnovers and good field position don't automatically mean TDs for the opposing team. Make a stop. Force a field goal.

If you want to point to earlier performances and a few tough situations as a means of letting the defense off the hook for a second straight bad performance, that's your prerogative but I'm not about to give them a pass. Upthread, you said stats are facts. Consider these stats:

72 points
759 yards

That's what the Vikings defense has allowed in the past 2 games... and it IS a problem.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

I really am shocked that the defensive secondary would disregard a gameplan. That just can't happen, at any level. Shows a blatant lack of respect for the man in charge. Zimmer must have done something really awful to lose the locker room in such a short period of time.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

tmscr wrote:I really am shocked that the defensive secondary would disregard a gameplan. That just can't happen, at any level. Shows a blatant lack of respect for the man in charge. Zimmer must have done something really awful to lose the locker room in such a short period of time.

I know what the heck is up. Did Zim sleep with a players wife or what??
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Bigwehrm wrote:
I know what the heck is up. Did Zim sleep with a players wife or what??
I don't know, wasn't there a report about him using stuffed animals as a motivational tool or something? I never got the "true" story about that but what I heard sounded weird. Something bizarre like that could have cost him his respect. Who knows, I certainly wasn't there.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

tmscr wrote:I really am shocked that the defensive secondary would disregard a gameplan. That just can't happen, at any level. Shows a blatant lack of respect for the man in charge. Zimmer must have done something really awful to lose the locker room in such a short period of time.
Yeah. Zimmer better bench the entire secondary for at least the next half of football. I wonder if the secondary even told the rest of the defense that they were going rogue? Such BS. It clearly showed that no one was on the same page for most of the game. I'm surprised Zimmer didn't explode on the sideline in the first quarter. His quote to Erin Andrews after half makes a lot more sense now!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote:
Boo hoo. Turnovers and good field position don't automatically mean TDs for the opposing team. Make a stop. Force a field goal.

If you want to point to earlier performances and a few tough situations as a means of letting the defense off the hook for a second straight bad performance, that's your prerogative but I'm not about to give them a pass. Upthread, you said stats are facts. Consider these stats:

72 points
759 yards

That's what the Vikings defense has allowed in the past 2 games... and it IS a problem.
Perspective

924 yards
52 points

That's what the Packers Defense has allowed the last 2 games. Against the Vikings and Bears. Teams with a back up QB and 2nd string offensive line.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Zmers defense has been exposed. I jave serious concerns in the coming years because i don't have much confidence that Zimmer can field even a competent defense.

Two bad games is exposed?
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I have said it before and i'll say it again. You can what if the hell out of everything, but i would be willing to bet my house that this is a 12 win team this year regardless of all the injuries, if you remove about 20 penalties. So many drive killing and drive extending costly penalties. Stupid ones, mainly on defense.

Like joseph last week. That is just one example. Way too many times this year they have gotten a defensive stop, commit a penalty on third down to extend a drive and then give up a touchdown. They had a few in the bears game. A few vs dallas. A ton vs philly. Pretty much every game this year they have given up points after a third down penalty. In order for the defense to ascend to elite status this needs to be fixed. They also need to get rid of sendejo and munnerlyn. They are downright garbage. Elite defenses don't have liabilities. I understand depth but when you have starters that should be backups, falling and taking bad angles game after game it becomes a problem.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote: Perspective

924 yards
52 points

That's what the Packers Defense has allowed the last 2 games. Against the Vikings and Bears. Teams with a back up QB and 2nd string offensive line.
Two of todays tds were garbage time against prevent D, aside from the last 10 minutes of last week when they inexplicably went prevent D with 11 minutes left the Packers D has been excellent the last 5 games.

Though curious, what does this have to do with the Vikes performance?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011