Somebody tell me where our awesome defense was yesterday?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Somebody tell me where our awesome defense was yesterday

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:This team was close, panicked after an injury and has blown the whole thing up with short-sighted thinking and desperation. What a disgrace this franchise is.
Disagree 100%. I've said this before when the Bradford trade happened. It was a smart move because if Teddy isnt back ready for week 1 or ever ready, we have a QB in place next year and possibly longer. If we dont make that trade, we have Taylor Heinecke and would have to make a move for someone. Hill is a FA. And this is a very weak QB class. Our only healthy QB next year would be Heinecke if that was the case. But yeah lets NOT trade for Bradford, have zero chance at doing anything this year and go into next year with Taylor Heinecke as the only healthy QB on our roster. Sounds like a great plan. But yeah I guess this franchise is just a disgrace. :whistle:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The effort yesterday of the entire defense was just horrible. I never though I'd see a Zimmer-coached team play with such little passion. They got embarrassed.
You nailed it. The lack of passion and commitment was shocking.

What the hell happened? There must be some strange goings on behind the scenes. And yes, I know about the injuries. I also know the Vikings have played better earlier in the season, even during some of their losses.
Jordysghost wrote:Aquiring Bradford probably saved you from having 4 wins at this point. If your talking long term ramifications of the trade then maybe i understand, though he certainly didnt hurt 2016.
I completely agree. Acquiring Bradford was a necessity and helped salvage what could have been a season with more losses. What we're seeing from the Vikings right now is an across the board meltdown. I think the last game proved it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I think the Defense came out flat-footed in the first two series. They obviously under-estimated the Colts. Once Indy went up by 17, and AP fumbled they mentally broke down and went into the tank. Game Over.

This game was, in my opinion, an exclamation point on many of the recent woes for the Vikings. The Defense finally broke under the weight of carrying the water for an offense with literally zero margin for error. It was very Vikings appropriate that this happened at home in a must win game to go to the playoffs.

Over committing to Adrian Petersen by one OC after another, with no realized tangible benefit in the Zimmer era, reached it's crescendo with that red zone fumble. I'd like to think we've seen the last of that predictable style of play calling, but I fear that so long as #28 wears purple that will not be the case. That crap literally made a bad offense worse yesterday and frankly, the Coaches, especially an experienced staff like we supposedly have, should have known better. Last week they were building an identity for themselves and this week they threw it away in effort of putting all the eggs in the AP basket. It is mind boggling.
Peterson touched the ball on just 7 of 56 offensive plays (roughly 13%). How does that relatively low percentage of touches represented an overcommitment to him by the Vikings? If I recall correctly, he was never even given the ball on back-to-back plays.

The Vikes only ran the ball 9 times all day. They threw it 42 times and Bradford was sacked 4 or 5 times so they attempted to throw it even more than that. Overcommitment to Peterson (or the running game) was not the team's problem on Sunday. Is the identity they're supposedly building supposed to involve never running the ball at all? They had a 5:1 pass/run ratio. That's not enough passing?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Moth, look at his % in the opening series. The overall stats are indicative of a game where they were down 24-0 at Halftime. How they got there is the source of my angst.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:Moth, look at his % in the opening series. The overall stats are indicative of a game where they were down 24-0 at Halftime. How they got there is the source of my angst.
Exactly. They were down 17-0 before they knew it. So we were out of running mode by then regardless. There was no need to keep him in there any longer
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Moth, look at his % in the opening series. The overall stats are indicative of a game where they were down 24-0 at Halftime. How they got there is the source of my angst.
He touched the ball on 2 of 3 plays on the opening series, one of which was a pass. The only time he touched the ball more than once on a series after that was during the third quarter drive that ended with the Bradford fumble. He had 2 carries for 6 yards on that possession and they weren't back-to-back.

They didn't arrive at that huge halftime deficit because they tried to pound Peterson into the line excessively or put all their eggs in the AP basket. I just don't see how a narrative of overcommitment to him in the game holds up under scrutiny unless giving him the ball at all is overcommitting to him (which seems to be where a lot of Vikes fans are at this stage).
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

Purple Reign wrote: And what 'bad coaching decision' cost them the game? I assume you are talking about taking a knee at the end of regulation. In case you have forgotten, being aggressive at the end of the first half of that game didn't work out so well. Leading 20-7, the Vikings took possession at their 18-yard line with 1:17 to play before halftime. Two incompletions brought up third-and-10 and Cunningham got sacked and fumbled. The Falcons recovered the ball and scored a touchdown on the next play.

Taking a knee was not a bad coaching decision at that point, especially based on what happened earlier, and it definitely didn't cost us the game. It may have eliminated any chance of winning the game in regulation, but it definitely didn't cost us the game.

If you aren't talking about taking a knee, please inform us what coaching decision you are referring to.
WHAT DO YOU THINK COST THEM THAT GAME?? BESIDES MISSING A 39 YARDER.
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

magster wrote:
do you guys really think this team is better than a 500 team??? no f*&^%$#@! way
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Exactly. They were down 17-0 before they knew it. So we were out of running mode by then regardless. There was no need to keep him in there any longer
what running game???
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

magster wrote: WHAT DO YOU THINK COST THEM THAT GAME?? BESIDES MISSING A 39 YARDER.
and besides taking a knee would have won them the game...if you remember correctly if the rest of the game goes the way it did the win...so yes that was a very bad decision on green...any good coach runs the clock out....called clock management. i'll take a 20-7 lead into half time anyday
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Disagree 100%. I've said this before when the Bradford trade happened. It was a smart move because if Teddy isnt back ready for week 1 or ever ready, we have a QB in place next year and possibly longer. If we dont make that trade, we have Taylor Heinecke and would have to make a move for someone. Hill is a FA. And this is a very weak QB class. Our only healthy QB next year would be Heinecke if that was the case. But yeah lets NOT trade for Bradford, have zero chance at doing anything this year and go into next year with Taylor Heinecke as the only healthy QB on our roster. Sounds like a great plan. But yeah I guess this franchise is just a disgrace. :whistle:
smart because shaun hill stinks??so does bradford. the worst pocket presence for a QB I've seen in years.If they even have a pocket.granted they had loses at the O line,but this trade was bonehead. they dont again make playoffs give away draft picks,for what...look at the hershel walker trade....the worst in NFL history...typical Minnesota doings.they had great coaches,Dungy,bilick,leave this organization and succeed.You got it right Franchise is a joke...THEY STINK.
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

magster wrote: smart because shaun hill stinks??so does bradford. the worst pocket presence for a QB I've seen in years.If they even have a pocket.granted they had loses at the O line,but this trade was bonehead. they dont again make playoffs give away draft picks,for what...look at the hershel walker trade....the worst in NFL history...typical Minnesota doings.they had great coaches,Dungy,bilick,leave this organization and succeed.You got it right Franchise is a joke...THEY STINK.
PHILLY got wenz never played a regular season game and trade to minny and our dumb ####'s pick him up....Granted philly aint the best either but they know when to put out the trash folks..
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: I wouldn't rule that out, but it doesn't seem likely to me. They were in a game that they really needed (and they were in other contests this year as well, where the game was in reach) and so I have a hard time swallowing the thought that a player (or players) would just decide to "pack it in" when there is (or at least was) a chance for playoff contention.
Quit because Zimmer really does suck???maybe, but i would want to win regardless...and I would want to win even more because I would be tired of being on a time that sucks all the time...
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

magster wrote: PHILLY got wenz never played a regular season game and trade to minny and our dumb ####'s pick him up....Granted philly aint the best either but they know when to put out the trash folks..
Dude, you're now quoting and arguing with yourself. I think it's time to step away from the keyboard and go for a walk, you're not exactly making a stellar first impression.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

S197 wrote: Dude, you're now quoting and arguing with yourself. I think it's time to step away from the keyboard and go for a walk, you're not exactly making a stellar first impression.
I like this spunky new guy.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011